Navigant Consulting

Be The First To
Add Photos

Navigant Consulting Director, President & CEO Julie M. Howard

Julie M. Howard

Pros:
  • "Flexible schedule, work-life balance, all employees are bonus eligible"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Collaborative work environment across offices"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "No regard for work-life balance (in Financial Services and Valuation groups), high turnover"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Benefits, senior management and office politics are the cons for Navigant"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Navigant was a good place to work with plenty of opportunities for personal advancement.

I worked at Navigant Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNavigant has a broad range of practice areas and a deep bench in terms of talent. One of the best litigation consulting firms out there.

ConsBeing aggressively built through acquisitions, there were some silos and culture gaps.

Great Company to Work For

Summer Associate (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time for less than a year

ProsThere is interesting work at all levels of employment. If an engagment is small enough, you may have the opportunity to learn new skills and being involved at all levels of the engagement. There is lots of diversity in your day to day projects and tasks. Very friendly culture, not an overwhelming feeling of seniority.

ConsOften 40+ hours a week, but that is typical given this type of work. Parking is very expensive and the metro in DC isn't that cheap either.

Great place to work, relatively flat organizational structure but limited career progression options at mid career stage

I worked at Navigant Consulting

Pros- Friendly colleagues and senior management fairly approachable.
- Strong expertise in certain verticals healthcare, energy etc. and a great opportunity to learn for junior level employees.
- Good work/life balance options in terms of being abled to work flexible schedules
- Reasonable compensation and benefits.

Cons- Limited collaboration across practices and within certain practices because compensation structure for Ds and MDs is based more on achieving individual targets.
- Challenging work environment at mid career stage where utilization targets are too aggressive which does not lend itself well to focusing efforts on business development initiatives that will get you to the next career stage.
- Work in some verticals can get boring and junior staff at times may not have flexibility to develop skills beyond their sub practice areas.

Advice to Senior Management- Create a compensation structure for MDs and Ds whereby those who collaborate are rewarded more than those who stay within their silos.
- Try to actively provide cross practice development opportunities for individuals interested in learning about the complete business. This can also improve inter practice collaboration.
- Explore options for becoming privately held so that practices can spend time developing strategic areas without having to constantly worry about margins.

My experience at Navigant has been good.

Intern (Current Employee)
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

Pros- Ability to move up in the firm
- Interesting work
- Managing Directors are open to providing mentoring to junior level employees

Cons- Lack of organizational culture
- Competition within firm employees

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove corporate culture and make new employees feel like they're somewhere important, where their work has impact.

No communication from top

Chicago, IL

I worked at Navigant Consulting

ProsFair pay and fair benefits.

ConsNo communication on firm-wide policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet employees know simultaneously what's doing-send emails to keep them informed and not in the dark the way you do now.

Professional firm providing career advancement and perspective

Denver, CO

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

ProsSmart colleagues, professional firm that works hard to engage and satisfy employees. Great experience.

ConsSiloed practice areas, and managers who are overly protective of client relationships limit cross-selling.

Career Path - Plenty of opportunities for the self-motivated

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

ProsProfessional development opportunities; experienced professionals willing to share knowledge and leads; entrepreneurial spirit; formal and informal mentoring; competitive compensation; flexible work arrangements to meet personal needs

ConsDue to nature of publicly traded company, there is heavy focus on personal, practice and firm performance which causes complaints from many of the junior staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on initiatives that cut across career stages - expectations and work style of entry level consultants are different than those of senior level consultants.

Great colleagues

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Navigant Consulting

ProsNavigant does a great job hiring people who are knowledgeable but also fun and easy to work with. The people are its greatest strength. It also works in a number of different industries, geographies, and functional areas, so there's availability to pursue varied interests.

ConsThe tasks assigned to lower level consultants and new hires in the D&I practice can be really boring and mundane considering you just finished a rigorous undergraduate degree. However, the work can get more interesting once you get more responsibility and placed on different project types.

Advice to Senior ManagementNavigant should offer some clearer pathways to transfer to other parts of the organization, even as part of a rotational program. This sort of initiative would have to be organized by upper management, since many of the individual offices and Managing Directors run their operations as a stand alone business.

This is where I started to grow as a logistics master.

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

ProsGood work environment and awesome benefits.

ConsVery few extra-curricular activiites and team building.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote team leadership.

Tremendous opportunities for professional growth, and great mix of clients.

Chicago, IL

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

ProsMinimal bureaucracy and nimble, deep platform. Many dedicated and impressively competent employees. High quality client service. Great reputation within the law firm and in-house counsel communities. CEO and CFO are great at communicating with Wall Street.

ConsNotable lack of ethnic diversity. CEO and president are incredibly dedicated and hard-working, and known for integrity and fairness, but lack substantive experience as consultants. Practice leaders are generally poor managers of people, and wholly lacking in leadership skills. Senior lateral hires are often among those who were perceived as most polarizing at prior firms, which makes it even harder to recruit senior laterals who are more partnerial and collaborative.

Advice to Senior Management1) better signal succession plans; 2) replace practice leaders with those who are truly partnerial and collaborative; and 3) go private.

Worked for Navigant Consulting? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Navigant Consulting reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Navigant Consulting CEO Julie M. Howard. All 197 reviews posted anonymously by Navigant Consulting employees.