Navigant Consulting

Navigant Consulting Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Navigant Consulting Director, President & CEO Julie M. Howard

Julie M. Howard

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, work-life balance, all employees are bonus eligible(in 21 reviews)

• Collaborative work environment across offices(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any consulting job, at time it can be difficult to maintain a good work/life balance(in 20 reviews)

• Long hours expected and appreciation for sacrifices not readily acknowledged(in 10 reviews)

Liars and Backstabbers intermixed with excellent people.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCurrent technology, great pay, some of the people who work there are incredibly talented.

ConsThe culture there does not demand accountability or respect of others. It is very much a finger pointing environment, so unfortunately, not much is accomplished. People appear to be more interested in protecting their jobs and salary as opposed to truly helping clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate an environment of accountability.

Inconsistent management and narrowly defined verticals

Managing Consultant (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsI've stayed at Navigant much longer than I should have because I love my coworkers. Hands down, they are the best. Smart, highly qualified, and passionate about the work (we're in the energy practice.)

ConsHowever, it doesn't matter that I have wonderful, smart, coworkers. The majority of the work is large government contracts, which is repetitive and mind numbing on a good day. There are some offices that have a better mix of contracts (not all government work) but that is the minority in Navigant Energy. How quickly you move up also depends on who you work for. I've seen people in other parts of the practice get promoted year after year, while other managing directors seem to believe in a tenure track system wherein they will not consider promoting their staff until 3-4 years have passed at one level.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your staff for being the overachieving ambitious workers that they are, and be consistent about it across the company. I know you're talking about consistency, but we have yet to see it filter down to the bottom of the totem pole.
    Get out there and get us more work to do than these giant 3-5 year government contracts of rote work. You hire the best, from top institutions, why give us such unimaginative assignments?

Global Investigations and Compliance (GIC)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice people work within the group.

ConsUpper management is terrible. A lot of lies and false promises from upper management. Employees are overworked and underpaid; they are not appreciated for the work they do. Bonuses are terrible.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Consultant

Pros-Diverse projects
    -Commitment to training
    -Good growth potential
    -Lots of travel opportunities

Cons-Linear career path
    -Lack of work-life balance
    -Inability to transfer laterally
    -Lack of communication and direction from above
    -Inconsistency in project work

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clear in communicating career direction to junior level employees.

Senior management only care about meeting streets expectation. Have no long term strategy.

Associate Director (Current Employee)

ProsGreat place to grow as a professional early in career.

ConsOnce you make Manager, it is time to move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to incentivize teamwork between practices.

Sink or swim, it is all up to you as they do not have good co-ordinated approach to selling and client service.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsVery competent senior managers and directors

Cons- poor integration
    - little useful training
    - limited mentorship from senior staff
    - limited cooperation to sell work and serve clients

Advice to Senior ManagementChange incentive scheme to encourage a "one firm" approach to winning work, developing staff and serving clients

Pure body shop, MD level has no strategy, market connections or real expertise.

Director (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsTalented people move up quickly

ConsLack of strategic focus. Senior management staff should be providing the inroads from marketing, product building, thought leadership and strategy development. Just a club that sets a goal and checks utilization.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't outsource strategy. Your senior management staff has to be the cultural leader and strategy provider.

Like others say, it all depends on where you work

ProsGreat if you are a forensic accountant, or in the health care or energy practices
    Mostly brilliant service line Managing Directors
    Generally good colleagues

ConsExtremely poor CEO, mediocre President. Amazing they are still employed by the Board based on performance. Share price dropped 25% based on one Chairman's answer in a conference call a coupld years ago.
    They only know how to grow by acquisition, which means they over pay for small companies and then fail to properly integrate them.
    Not focused on organic growth, so senior leaders within practices have to bill a lot of hours rather than build their teams/opportunities
    Inequity in compensation - service delivery leaders are tied to performance but CEO and President get huge compensation and bonuses when results are not there.

Good place to stand out, but terrible corporate structure.

Consultant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsInternal mobility.
    Direct opportunities to interact with upper management.
    Opportunities to learn transferable skills sets.
    Amount of vacation time (4 weeks).
    Caliber of people who you get to work with.

ConsSome people work 100 hours a week, others work 40, there is little to differentiate between those who work 100 and those who work 40.
    Some management doesn't understand how to explain big picture behind project.
    Different practices fast track the promotion cycle, even though there may be others more qualified for promotions.
    A lot of internal politics.
    Lack of transparency from corporate execs to corporate citizens.

Advice to Senior ManagementSend a unified message.
    Compensate your hardest working and most talented people the best.
    Strive for transparency at all times.
    Take time to solicit feedback from employees at the most junior level.

Navigant is only good in a few select areas of Health Care, Energy, and D&I. Otherwise, avoid it.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWork-life balance. Ability to actually use your vacation time, which is difficult at other consulting firms. Decent pay relative to the amount you work. If you are in one the groups listed in my headline, the work is interesting and challenging.

ConsTraining for recent grads and new hires is weak and insufficient - this is really a firm for experienced hires. Most Managing Directors can't sell well, so you end up with more bench time than you'd like or boring projects that only serve to keep you billable. It has an "every man for himself" culture. Even my manager had that attitude with his employees. I always had to network and find my own way onto projects, which can be difficult when you're new. There is very insufficient feedback and communications from your managers. Top management seems confused and unfocused. I'm not sure what the strategy is there and they can't seem to sustain growth. Also, for a small company, it feels huge and cold. They grow through acquisitions, which creates further cultural and bureaucratic divisions within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your core businesses and cut the dead weight practices and groups. Create a more dynamic, interactive, and cohesive culture within the firm. Mr. Goodyear, the company is small - you should visit each office at least once a year so it feels that way. You should also create a more comprehensive training program for new hires - at least college hires - and hire MDs with a track record of sales and delivery, not just delivery. Navigant has a lot of potential that will never be realized on this current path, whatever that is.

Worked for Navigant Consulting? Contribute to the Community!