Navigant Consulting Reviews

Reset
3.2
Navigant Consulting Chairman and CEO Julie M. Howard
Julie M. Howard

Pros
  • Energy practice leadership is keenly aware of work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• you got the chance to work with smart people (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Little consideration of work-life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Long hours expected and appreciation for sacrifices not readily acknowledged (in 11 reviews)

1. Sr. Project Consultant

Former Employee - Senior Project Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Project Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Navigant Consulting

Pros

-Compensation
    -Office Culture
    -Office Perks
    -Very talented and educated co-workers

Cons

-Learning where you are traveling at the last minute
    -No clear supervisor

2. Top Notch Energy Practice

Current Employee - Managing Consultant - Strategy in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant - Strategy in New York, NY

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very interesting work, high profile clients, network of intelligent people with strong drive for growth and collaboration across Energy Practice

Cons

Low opportunity to pursue projects with business models other than fees for time and materials, performance / incentive compensation is inadequate

Advice to Management

Expand business to include more at-risk / success based fees for professional services such as project development and investment advisory

3. Highly Recommended

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Navigant Consulting (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent place to work with well-qualified professionals.

Cons

Limited "culture" for now, but on its way to building it.

5. x

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time

Pros

Company has potential to grow

Cons

Small size can be constricting

6. First Year as a consultant

Current Employee - Consultant in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedules: A couple days a week during the summer, I'll do some outdoor recreating before coming into the office and that is nice to have that flexibility

Interesting work: I have lots of opportunities to stretch myself with new and diverse work. I can't speak for all practices and positions but I haven't felt like i'm in a rut with doing the same thing over and over again

Real opportunity for career advancement: I have gained a lot of human capital in my first year, technically, professionally etc. They definitely push you grow. I certainly expect advancement and that my time here will serve me well should I ever look for greener pastures.

Good pay: I haven't really compared salaries at competitors closely but i can just say from my experience, looking at my cohort of classmates, I seem be in the upper quartile of earners.

Cons

Long hours: This is probably true of all consulting firms but if you are going to get your job done or meet your utilization targets, then you should expect to work between 50 and 60 hours a week on average

Shadow hours: I've been on projects where there wasn't enough budget to get to work done and so you as a consultant will take the hit. You'll work X hours on the project but only report X-Y so you can keep the project under budget and make your PM happy. Officially Navigant is strongly against this. In practice, it happens all the time. Be prepared to do a lot of work you won't get credit for in your utilization numbers. This is a large part of why you'll have to work so much to meet your utilization targets.

Choppy work load: You'll have some periods when you wind down on projects and wait to for others to kick off that you'll not have enough work to do and then you'll have times when your projects overlap and you are working every waking moment.

Leadership is divesting in its workers: since I've been here for my short stint I've seen the perks really eroded. Leadership seems to be chasing cost cutting measures instead of investing in its talent. If the trend continues I anticipate an brain drain

Advice to Management

1) I know that we have to be competitive to win work but I've been on projects that were where the budgets were not alligned with our scope of work. This creates an impossible situation for your team where we can't deliver work at the level of quality expected by the client and remain under budget.

Navigant offers a great work-life balance

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Burlington, MA

I worked at Navigant Consulting

Pros

Colleagues create a sense of community in and out of the workplace.
    Supports a healthy work-life balance and flexible environment.

Cons

Compensation and benefits are not competitive.
    Non-uniform standards for performance and quality.

Advice to Management

Strive for consistency.

8. Director

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Navigant Consulting

Pros

Good salary, good projects, execelent education

Cons

No specific territories, uneven distribution of business opportunities.

Advice to Management

Value your people

Decent Work

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Conyers, GA
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Conyers, GA

I have been working at Navigant Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting and challenging client assignments. Opportunity to work with very smart individuals who are willing to share their knowledge and establish and collaborative team environment. Colleagues create a sense of community in and out of the workplace. Healthy work-life balance. Salary is decent if you negotiate well when entering the company

Cons

Non-uniform standards for performance and quality. Multiple practices within the firm conducting the same type of work thus competing for client engagements with your colleagues. Direct leadership can be a bit dictatorial in their approach to subordinates. No steady pipeline of projects to keep consultants billable and utilized.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with the staff. The lack of corporate insight into the company's overall strategy and management objectives is toxic to company culture. Focus more on developing the careers and building the skills of the staff. Improve incentives for cross practice collaboration to reach full potential.

Associate Director

Former Employee - Associate Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at Navigant Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice office and pleasant people.

Cons

Consulting "Hunger Games". Competing with every other Navigant office for same projects.

Advice to Management

If NO ONE is promoted from AD to Director for 10 years, your management team is failing in development.

Terrible if you are interested in a work/life balance

I worked at Navigant Consulting full-time

Pros

Good pay if you negotiate well. There are plenty of opportunities to work on new things so in that regard it can be challenging. There is also a steep learning curve and a general lack of empathy if you don't meet that curve. There are plenty of co-workers to commiserate with about how agonizing it is to work here. So comradere is not hard to find once that common denominator is established. Navigant also throws some pretty lavish events a couple times a year.. Which are usually followed by lay offs..

Cons

Depending on the practice group, like financial services, it is expected that you work, eat, work, sleep and repeat. People work remotely on vacation.. Not because they want to but because there is pressure to. It is the company culture and it starts from the top. There are people in the company who have not seen their kids for weeks.. Literally. I saw the post about a great work/life balance and had to reply. That post is disingenuous and probably written by management. There are "fire drills" every day and most of them are false alarms. You cannot use the bathroom in peace because someone will come looking for you with a "fire drill". Don't even think about eating lunch out of the office... If you are a recent grad they will hire you and work the marrow out of your bones.. If you are a seasoned worker you will leave within a year..

Advice to Management

Management needs to set realistic expectations for themselves and staff. The culture that exists has created an environment similar to a jiffy lube trying to sell itself as a Porsche dealership.

RSS Feed </> Embed