Navigant Consulting Reviews

1. Great mid-size consulting firm

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

Pros

Great firm, great leadership, flexible with working from home, with many high profile clients in a variety of industries. Transparency as far as advancement and placement is also a plus

Cons

People are spread out across the country, which can make interaction difficult, hard to coordinate. Also makes for a less collegial atmosphere as you call to chat about work, not much else

Office culture is decent, training was very little, could be improved.

2. Great company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is a well diversified company that provides excellent health benefits and training opportunities. It also provides an motivating environment to develop as a consultant.

Cons

The different sectors of the company do not seem to blend together in an amalgamated fashion. There seems to be different corporate cultures across different practices.

3. Lied to me to recruit me

I worked at Navigant Consulting

Pros

Couldn't find any - suboptimal medical benefit. some staff was "protected" for no reason I could perceive, it certainly wasn't based on contribution to the project.

Cons

Horrendous turnover with many not even making it to 6 months, low morale, dishonest senior leadership. Poor leadesrhip and client management at the project level.

Stabilize staff, communicate accurately in recruitment because lies are revealed day 1 on the job. Sell work you can actually deliver so turnover on projects will decrease

5. Good place to learn

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

Pros

Lots of smart people. Entrepreneurial environment.

Cons

Not competitive with large firms in terms of salary, training, etc.

6. Motivated people look elsewhere

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Navigant's DC office does an incredible job recruiting talented young employees. The firm almost exclusively brings in college graduates from top tier local colleges (especially Georgetown, UVA, William and Mary, and Wake Forest). You will work with young, intelligent, overqualified, and energetic people. Navigant will sponsor you to get a CPA or other certifications.

Cons

The work is rarely challenging for the bright minds brought in. Project workloads often require heavier hours than competitors. Thus is combination equates to longer hours on boring or repetitive projects. Generally, the compensation increases associated with staying in-house and being promoted do not keep up with competitors. My advice to hires is to work until you are promoted once, and then jump ship to pick up a higher salary.

Increase compensation for employees that remain in-house. There has been a lot of good talent that has walked out the door solely as a result of low compensation.

7. Flexible and Independent

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company allows you to seek out opportunities you are interested in. Lots of smart people working on interesting and relevant problems.

Cons

Still can be a stuffy, corporate environment with standard corporate training, meetings, and mind-numbing performance evaluation processes. Training leaves a lot to be desired.

8. Good company if you like working a lot

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Compensation was good.
    * If you are proactive, you can push your career in the direction you want by choosing the right projects.
    * Developing skills is encouraged as long as you take initiative.

Cons

Must work a lot (though that's generally true of most competitors as well).

Be sure to help develop lower level staff to keep them engaged.

Not a bad place to work

I worked at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Highly motivated staff, good salaries and great bonuses, when times are good.

Cons

Wrong business model for the nature of the work. Consulting firms that are public make no sense because it creates incentives to cheat clients and provide non-value-adding work.

Take the company private, destroy the incentive for treating clients poorly, and you will have a better model that will help senior management focus on the long term as opposed to the short term focus of the Street.

10. Working for Navigant is worthwhile, but not a passion.

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a lot of flexibility to do the work you are interested in and the flexibility to maintain a good work/life balance.

Cons

It is a very corporate environment which allows for people to fall through the cracks and promotes competition over collaboration.

Work where they need you, when they need you

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits that cover a lot of medical and dental expenses. The pay is competitive with other consulting firms.

Cons

You will basically have no time for yourself during this job. I was often called during my vacations, during thanksgiving, as well as around Christmas to work remotely. I averaged around 55 hours a week normally and could not escape work even when at home. Sometimes, when your group currently has no work you will be loaned to different internal groups where you are not working on career growth or trying to learn new skills for your expertise. Instead they want to use you for billable hours that any level could do. During my time I was loaned off to a group for multiple months traveling Sunday through Friday doing monotonous work for which I had no background,experience, or interest in. I cannot speak to a company wide ethical standard, however I experienced charging billable hours without work because it was budgeted in the project which was a direct order from upper management. This is all for a entry level Consultant job however, it is a rough place to start a career when they see you as a disposable asset to gain billable hours.

Value your employees more.

Navigant Consulting Photos