Navigant Consulting Reviews

Updated April 9, 2015
280 reviews filtered by

It really depends on the group you work in. Could be OK, could be horrible.

Current Employee - Associate Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

Pros

The pay is on par with the industry. Bonuses completely determined by hours worked with no performance component, which is good and bad, of course. Casual work environment.

Cons

I can only speak to the Economics practice and mainly to the Chicago Partners end of it. The practice consists of three separate firms that have been merged into one. There are remnants of LECG, Chicago Partners, and Empiris at this firm. They do very dissimilar work. Chicago Partners concentrates on very high end, large stakes litigation with prominent academic economists. That seems pretty interesting. However, these economists have clearly decided that there's no way to make their earn out and have decided not to bring any cases. A horrible practice to be in for career development and mobility.

2. Company needs a major overhaul

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Navigant Consulting

Pros

Pay is good for consultant work

Cons

zero feedback, zero communication, zero interaction

Advice to Management

need to acknowledge consultants have more experience than the pool of full timers which is actually a bunch of young kids at entry levels with little street experience. fulltimers can talk a good game and its precisely that, talk. The actual work are done by consultants. The management can't seem to manage a team. The senior management don't seem to care. The company structure is very strange.

Great stock to short

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

Pros

Navigant Consulting is a far better experience than unemployment and the way that they beat you down incessantly leads to greater resiliance. As said "What doesn't kill you will make you stronger." The practitioners are great, as only the best and strongest can survive the "sink or swim" environment.

Cons

As a director in the advisory practice, there is no on-boarding. You are expected to market the firm's services but the firm doesn't have an inventory of past sold engagements. Marketing support is non-existent. You are expected to prospect, surface opportunities, create marketing materials, respond to RFPs, develop marketing materials, price the engagement with a 70% gross margin and deliver the engagement. When you do manage to actually close on the deal, management finally shows up to ensure that the bureaucracy is satisfied with Project Acceptance Forms and Project Initiation Forms. The successful director needs to be strong in many different domains, including sales, marketing, project management and methodology.

The standards are different for legacy "Peterson" management and staff. The natural selection that occurs throughout Navigant is absent for these individuals, who happen to monopolize the management suite. MD"s "fail upwards". The most recent example is CEO Bill Goodyear receiving "Consultant of the Year Award" from Consulting Magazine. In the feature interview, Bill is quoted as saying he is shutting down the Financial Services practice. Supposedly, this was an error on the magazine's behalf and he was misquoted. However, the article should have been reviewed by HQ prior to publication. Where's the competence?

If you think this point of view comes from an individual who wasn't successful, I was actually a relatively strong performer who survived the highly accountable environment for 2 years prior to exiting on my own terms.

Advice to Management

Replace yourselves. You make value destroying acquisitions, you don't know how to grow the top line, you don't know how to integrate the acquisitions, your excessive cost forces the projects to be priced uncompetitively at a 70% gross margin. Your just oxygen consuming overhead.

5. Navigant - Not a positive environment

Former Employee - Associate Director
    Former Employee - Associate Director

I worked at Navigant Consulting

Pros

Well established litigation support firm looking to diversify their service offering

Cons

Public consulting model is not well suited for longer sales cycle and subject matter expert focus of many employees. Generalist consultant is preferred and will do well in this firm.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the "old guard" and focus not on the next 3 months (Wall Street) and instead work to develop a business line / service that will be highly profitable.

6. Take a thorough look before you leap

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Navigant Consulting

Pros

Most of the people working here, at least that I met, were friendly and bright and generally concerned with doing quality work on their projects.

Cons

Management, benefits, and pay leave a lot to be desired. Communication to the ranks is generally very whitewashed. I was with this company for awhile, and I don't know it has an actual strategy in place besides rolling up small firms. Post-merger integration is essentially absent.

Advice to Management

Communicate more frequently and clearly. Do not spin pay, benefits, economic environment, etc. Focus on defining a coherent strategy that avoids consulting lingo and can be understood in 1 minute.

Navigant Staffing

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Navigant Consulting

Pros

Navigant is more or less a "flat" organization. For exceptionally driven individuals, opportunities to make an impact exist if such individuals have the patience to address some of the organizational shortcomings. At the Senior Consultant/Managing Consultant level, many folks have Big 4 experience who cashed in their time there for a decent pay with Navigant. Depending on the project, there is a level of work/life balance as well.

Cons

Lack of an effective sales force translates into a highly "opportunistic" pipeline, meaning staff-augmentation work, as opposed to Navigant-driven solution engagements. Perhaps a better name for the firm would be Navigant Staffing.

Advice to Management

Reward talent and production; purge non-performers.

Bologna on white bread with mayo

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time

Pros

Lots of smart people to work with, most are decent people, with a few exceptions. Positioned well in industries that need our help. Good reputation with most clients. Navigant often provides better value for money than the Big Three.

Cons

--Some of the projects - while yes they deliver value to clients - are truly mind-numbing.
    --Work-life balance is hit or miss. For me it has been okay but I see others working a lot of hours.
    --The HR approach is straight out of the 1980s - everything is run by numbers. There is no leadership culture and none expected.
    --Internal IT is awful.
    --Most admin processes are easy for 3-4 people in Chicago HQ to manage but are challenging for the rest of the workforce to use.
    --The majority of Managing Directors are hired externally. There is only a small chance of advancing beyond Director level via promotion.
    --Benefits should be better for a company of this size.

Advice to Management

Navigant has no corporate culture. There is nothing about this company that is exciting. I can't think of anyone who is loyal to Navigant, though there is lots of loyalty to colleagues. You need to develop a culture. "Perform, Bank, and Innovate" does not inspire.

Sold to be something it wasn't

Former Contractor - Consultant
    Former Contractor - Consultant

I worked at Navigant Consulting as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I liked the people I worked with.

Cons

Senior management is intentionally dishonest. Work is dull. Salary is below market. Their business model is based on quickly ramping up with staffing. When the client does not require staffing at those levels, they quickly ramp down, even if they only staffed for a few weeks. They have a high turnover rate with permanent employees. There is no company culture to speak of. Departments/Divisions operate in silos.

Advice to Management

There is no company culture. Build some. You wouldn't have such a high turnover rate if you did. What goes around, comes around.

Navigant Consulting Response

Apr 8, 2015Sr. Manager, Human Capital

We appreciate the candid feedback. We're sorry that you did not have the best experience at Navigant and will take your comments into consideration as we continue to build on our people efforts here.

10. Avoid if you can

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They hire really talented mid-level consultants

Cons

Management has no direction, overwork staff and seem not to care about the high turnover. Little quality work in Financial services and as a result senior staff likes to hog the meaningful work

Advice to Management

Stop grooming the same type of people for success and embrace employees who bring diverse skill sets and work experience

11. Working for Navigant is worthwhile, but not a passion.

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a lot of flexibility to do the work you are interested in and the flexibility to maintain a good work/life balance.

Cons

It is a very corporate environment which allows for people to fall through the cracks and promotes competition over collaboration.

Navigant Consulting Photos