Navigant Consulting

www.navigant.com

Good place to work

Former Employee - Human Resources in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Chicago, IL

I worked at Navigant Consulting part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They offer competitive benefits and a supportive work environment. I also found my co-workers to be very friendly and there was good camaraderie and team work.

Cons

The middle and upper level management tiers could be more transparent. The organizational structure also seemed somewhat complex, although this may have been due to the nature of the consulting industry.

I was a contractor and converted. Best decision I made

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Outstanding company, culture and upward mobility

Cons

Some of co-pays in health plan are a bit steep

Oct 9, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for leaving a review of your experience. We wish you much continued success here.

Great place to garner skillsets

Current Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If in one of the big offices, Navigant is a wonderful place to work in teams big or small, network internally with employees from other offices, and to learn as many skillsets as possible. Employees are encouraged to do as much training as possible, and there are several different types to choose from, which is nice. It is great place to get as much experience as possible. There are some very smart people at Navigant.

Cons

If a consultant has not established a relationship with a D or MD who has a lot of work, that consultant can get left behind be it their compensation, or projects they get to work on. Consultants when they get hired are promised opportunities outside their group's core offerings, but that is usually not the case. It's possible to get pigeon-holed, and therefore bored.

Get a firm grasp of where the direction of the firm is headed, and encourage more collaboration within the firm. There is so much in-firm competition, that it does not make sense.

Under-appreciated and Overworked

Current Intern - Summer Associate
    Current Intern - Summer Associate

I have been working at Navigant Consulting as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

No formal training program means that it truly is a baptism by fire. Mentor program is good for the interns, but they have no sway in terms of a formal offer.

Cons

In my contract I was told that any hours worked over 40 would be time and a half. Commercial projects mean that many weeks we would be working 50-70 hrs per week, but I was directly told by my manager to not input them into the system. After speaking with other employees about this, it seemed that this was very normal for interns to be scammed out of their overtime. The reason is because the managers undercut the competition on pricing projects in order to win them so that there is no money for overtime. When I finally told the HR coordinator about this at the end of the internship, I was told to input them all in (on my last day). My manager (before knowing I inputed overtime), said that he wanted me to work there full time. After this happened, I "suddenly" was not given an offer. This is because the projects that I worked on with him now were over budget, which made him look bad.

better work/life balance, understanding the true amount of time for each project rather than undercutting the competition.

Oct 9, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

We appreciate the candid feedback. I’m sorry you did not have the best experience at Navigant. We will be incorporating more guidelines to project managers about their interns' hours to ensure there ... More

Life Sciences Practice Quickly Growing

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities for personal / professional growth in the Life Sciences group. There is excellent work life balance and the senior management really does value people's family commitments

Cons

Training is ad hoc and still in development, though it is improving over time. Sometimes selling additional work gets in in the way of quality

Sep 18, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you sharing your experience..

It's an exciting time to be at Navigant - the company's strategic vision for forward momentum is coming to life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Our leadership team has clearly articulated a vision for future growth, we are bring top talent on board and winning great engagements that keep our workforce challenged and motivated. The company offers internal and external training options to advance its workforce and the culture here embraces diversity through Employee Resource Groups. The Firm also supports new ideas and has created platforms, like the Innovation Challenge to reward employees for out-of-the-box thinking.

Cons

Change doesn't always happen overnight, but the company is making strides in the right direction.

Keep communicating and articulating the path for growth to employees. It's great that management offers feedback on areas that need work. The senior leadership team is also doing a great job of communicating the vision for growth, but it would be great to see more examples of how that vision is (or will be) actualized.

Probably the best job I've had in this field, work with really smart people and the team comes together very well

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Management is very employee-friendly, flexible to work from home, proactive about training, communicating strategies, and community involvement. Income is competitive and incentives are based on performance.

Cons

None really, as long as you work hard and bring skills to the table. More than 3 weeks vacation would be nice.

Sep 15, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your experience at Navigant. Feedback such as this is important in shaping the future of the company.

Great place for motivated self-starters

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Widely recognized consulting firm with a diverse suite of services and industry focus
    Work-life balance in excellent, compensation is commensurate to employee input (I feel like I'm duly rewarded for what I put in)
    Flexible working arrangements

Cons

I think work environment varies widely among practices and sub-groups, so my experience with my team (Energy - transaction due diligence and regulatory advisory) might be quite different from others' experience

Increase incentives and reduce barriers to collaboration among practices and sub-groups

Sep 15, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thank you for sharing your experience at Navigant. We appreciate the feedback and are continuing to identify more opportunities for collaboration going forward like the Innovation Challenge.

Professionalism and going the extra mile are part of the culture of this company.

Current Employee - Credentialing Analyst in Vermillion, SD
    Current Employee - Credentialing Analyst in Vermillion, SD

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, educational opportunities and lifelong learning. The office is friendly and coworkers strive to be a team. The flexibility to take time off for family obligations is really appreciated. You can leave your work at work if that is your choice.

Cons

No differential in pay for those with experience verses entry level in the SD offices. Team leaders are sometimes lacking in experience in dealing with personnel issues in a more positive, team buidling way since the office size grew very quickly.

Provide a path for career growth for those of us who want a career, not just a job.

Sep 18, 2014Sr. Manager, Human Capital

Thanks you for sharing your experience. We take your feedback seriously and are working on the performance management process for non-consulting/outsoucing professionals to help them with career ... More

The Energy practice serves the biggest clients in the industry, so your impact has scale.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The flexibility available to you around the work that you do is incredible.
    Energy practice leadership is keenly aware of work/life balance.

Cons

The nature of consulting requires time tracking and constant awareness of how many of your hours are billable to a client. Unfortunately, this also ties into your bonus.

Build teams of people within your office who work well together.

Navigant Consulting Photos