Navigant Consulting

Add Photos

Navigant Consulting Director, President & CEO Julie M. Howard

Julie M. Howard

32 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to start your career.

Washington, DC

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time for more than a year

ProsCompensation is actually okay comparing to some other companies. You may also have the opportunity to work for some big name clients.

ConsManagement tend to over-promise clients which means no work/life for employees at times. There is a lack of communication from the management side.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication with employees. More culture building activities.

Overall, Navigant is good working experience!

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Navigant Consulting full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNavigant provides great opportunity for career growth and has a wonderful culture.

ConsBenefits, senior management and office politics are the cons for Navigant.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees

Navigant is a good "starter wife" consultancy

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Navigant Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFriendly and intelligent co-workers. There was an opportunity to work on some very interesting and challenging projects, but they are usually on top of other work you had to complete.

ConsWorked too many hours for the pay. I got pulled into working on mortgage crisis projects and there was no opportunity to get out.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate your talent or they will leave

An Ok company to work for

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYo get the opportunity to work with very smart people.

ConsThey have no clue about what strategy is, At Navigant they are doers not thinkers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop running the company like an small company. Get an strategy and let your employees know what that strategy is.

Great learning experience right out of school, poor compensation for the effort

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Navigant Consulting full-time for more than a year

ProsThis job will round out your resume. There were always really interesting projects across the different consulting practices--my predictive analytic and healthcare experience let me work on setting up health insurance plans, constructing terms for physician group and hospital buyouts/acquisitions, to constructing expert testimony for healthcare litigation cases.

ConsMy colleagues and I called this place 'the puppy mill' because their business model is to take really smart 20 somethings straight out of college and pay them next to nothing and squeeze 2 MAYBE 3 years out of them. There is no advancement, you are either junior consultant or you are an overpaid director bringing in business. I asked for a raise after 2 years of being there (billing almost a million dollars in revenue per year and earning only 60k) and it 'wasn't in the budget.' I left when they actually stopped contributing to my 401k in addition to the pay freezes.

It was great in the beginning, and I don't necessary want to leave.

Washington, DC

I have been working at Navigant Consulting as a contractor for more than a year

ProsFun, smart talented people. I am proud to call many of them my colleagues and friends. I learned quite a bit from them

ConsEventually, what start off as a very flat organization structure, where a single voice had some weight, turned into a complex hierarchy as the project grew bigger and bigger. Office politics started to play a greater role.

Advice to Senior Management-Issue every employee the best and lastest laptops. You want them to be as productive as possible? Give them the tools that work all the time, not 7 hours out of 12.

-Revise the performance review process, so that each employee is not evaluated by just one supervisor, especially if they don't have just one supervisor.

Great Management

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time for less than a year

ProsManagement are very accessible
Collaborative work environment
Good pay

Consprojects can end abruptly
no job stability

Great place, great people

Summer Associate (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Navigant Consulting as an intern for less than a year

ProsAll the people at Navigant are amazing. The upper level management is easily accesible. People are always willing to help you. Stress-free, cooperative environment. The work can be very interesting and you get a great deal of independence. Alot of activities for the interns.

ConsDepending on the group you are placed in, your work may seem a little tedious at times. However, the overall cases are very interesting.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

Great Company to Work For

Summer Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time for less than a year

ProsThere is interesting work at all levels of employment. If an engagment is small enough, you may have the opportunity to learn new skills and being involved at all levels of the engagement. There is lots of diversity in your day to day projects and tasks. Very friendly culture, not an overwhelming feeling of seniority.

ConsOften 40+ hours a week, but that is typical given this type of work. Parking is very expensive and the metro in DC isn't that cheap either.

Not a Bad Place to Start a Career, But you're on your own

Risk Consultant (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Navigant Consulting as a contractor for less than a year

ProsComprehensive training program, competitive, yet collegial, culture, employees from diverse and interesting backgrounds from all over the world.

ConsLack of transparency (particularly with respect to senior management), lack of long-term vision and structure to develop and promote staff, inattentive middle managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be a revamping of the management structure and more "McKinsey-like" policies and procedures to incent people to perform.

Worked for Navigant Consulting? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Navigant Consulting reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Navigant Consulting CEO Julie M. Howard. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by Navigant Consulting employees.