Navistar
www.navistar.com Lisle, IL 5000+ Employees

Navistar Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Troy Clarke

Pros:
  • "The work is interesting and they are flexible with the work/life balance which is great if you have kids"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Good people and at the present time the company is still trying to not take away some perks"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "Management in middle are not challenging any decisions by upper management"
    in 31 reviews
  • "While the work-life balance used to be a great advantage, it has deteriorated"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Typical Top-Heavy Organization

Software Developer (Former Employee)

ProsThe facility looked great on the outside, I enjoyed the people that I worked with on my team for the most part

ConsManagement-centric decision making, got the impression that I was just another number, didn't see a lot of true innovation, compensation was far from competitive

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider focusing more on employee relations. Also, during the transition to Chicago, very little flexibility was offered in terms of moving packages or alternative work scenarios.

Attempting to improve the company but not necessarily in the right way

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people and at the present time the company is still trying to not take away some perks. Although because the company is struggling, I foresee some of these going away (pension, 401K match, etc.)

ConsCompany does not promote people regularly. Management positions available are limited. Those that are promoted are not based on ability to lead and manage people. People get promoted based on politics, not performance.

Waste of time

Lisle, IL

ProsGood compensation, nice work out facility.

ConsLack career growth potential lack of training lack of leadership or direction

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some leadership training

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Maintenance Manager

ProsThe company is great so far.

ConsFuture not for sure what happens.

The Company with no Plan to return to profitability

ProsIf you really don't feel like doing anything at all for weeks at a time this is the company for you. From executives to the mail room everyone who wants to is coasting till the company fails. There are no repercussions for late work, incorrect work, not showing up to work. If you get an email and phone call from someone to do something it's not your responsibility till they show up at your desk.

ConsThis company believes in paying as low as they can compared to the market thinking they are still getting the same quality employees as top companies. The 3 year progression, promotion, and raises freeze has caused moral to be at an all time low. Some might argue but those are the well connected people or referring to the 4 % over 3 years raises the company handed out not matching inflation. They had Boston Consulting Group (BCG) come in and restructure the company leaving it with 4 layers of VPs' but 2 layers of all other employees ranging from 1 year of experience to 30 years. Moral is low because being 1 year into this structure there are no plans on how one gets progressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou claim our goal is to return to profitability by capturing market share. I don't see any plan in place apart from praying for the economy to pick up and people start buying your products.

Various

Accountant (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company, current focus on North America is right

ConsNot the same company employee appreciation

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate vidions

Worked at Huntsville Plant #1

Huntsville, AL

ProsFlexible with off time. Largely a teamwork environment. Working conditions acceptable. Close to places to get a quick lunch. Used to be employee focused.

ConsPlant being idled. Supervisors constantly change priorities and then get mad when work isn't completed. Needed upgrads not implimented. Production numbers more important than anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade equipment when needed. Just because it's running isn't an excuse for lack of foresight.

Falling apart

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Lisle, IL

ProsPlenty of smart people at all levels.

ConsThey went too far down the path of a wrong engine strategy and now they are hemorrhaging.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo ahead and sell off the pieces, as that will eventually happen anyway.

A historic company that has nowhere to go but down

Lisle, IL

ProsOnly the working level people

ConsLack of leadership
    Unethical behavior (Green card applicants)
    Hourly your pay is based off of 45 hours and not 40
    Health insurance
    Benefits
    No room for growth
    Salary not competetive
    Experience has left

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink your position on the people who perform the real work. How idiotic is it to drop the building temperature in the winter to save money? You obviously do not care about your people. Still the company has Silos and wouldn't understand quality if it hit them in the face.

Horrible place to work. Crooked union(UAW) and human resources fires you if you don't worship them.

Assembler (Current Employee)
    Springfield, OH

ProsPay and benefits are decent for the older union workers.

ConsWorkload has increased dramatically over the last 10 years while the union has given away pay raises, vacation, pensions, profit sharing and dignity. New employees start out at almost $10 an hour less that older workers. The UAW has gotten into bed with human resources and they see that you are fired unless you act like they are all God.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire all human resources employees and start from scratch. Put ALL UAW leaders back on the assembly line or fire them.

Worked for Navistar? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Navistar reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Navistar CEO Troy Clarke. All 332 reviews posted anonymously by Navistar employees.