Navistar
www.navistar.com Lisle, IL 5000+ Employees

Navistar Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Troy Clarke

Pros:
  • "The work is interesting and they are flexible with the work/life balance which is great if you have kids"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Good people and at the present time the company is still trying to not take away some perks"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "Management in middle are not challenging any decisions by upper management"
    in 31 reviews
  • "While the work-life balance used to be a great advantage, it has deteriorated"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Engineering Manager

Senior Engineering Manager (Current Employee)
    Lisle, IL

ProsGreat place to work! Navistar leadership is doing a great job to put the Company on the right way, so it's a matter of time to the Company recover completely.

ConsWhile the Company is fighting to recover, tough decision is being made, which sometime is affecting the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementNavistar leadership is putting the Company on the right path!

VP musical chairs while base level gets stripped of resources and blamed for it all

ProsGood base level guys that give their all and make a huge difference

ConsNo recognition, no way to move up, no raises, and you receive no real management.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees, pat them on the back when they are putting more than what they signed up for, realize that everyone is leaving because of your doing, not because of the financial status of the company.

Pretty good company to work for overall.

Product Cost Engineer (Current Employee)
    Lisle, IL

ProsGreat opportunities to advance in the company.

ConsNavistar believes in overworking their employees and pushing them to the point of no return. Managers with bad attitudes and some non working managers who micro manage and don't add value to the cause.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow appreciation to the employees and understand the work needed to get the job done and make attainable goals that are realistic to reach.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Almost a great company to work for.

Administrative (Former Employee)
    Lisle, IL

ProsGreat amenities including cafeteria, basketball court, putting green, gym with fitness equipment and classes. Also have parking garages for those in the front buildings.

ConsManagement keeps their favorites or works hard to find them a spot elsewhere in the company over the people who are rated higher on reviews. There are a large number of favorites who were kept during the last RIF who do not work as hard as some that were laid off. Different departments have different rules when it comes to laying people off.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse the ratings on the TPM's when deciding on who to RIF, isn't that what they are there for? HR should actually know the people and how they work by reviewing TPM's before any decisions are made. How about cutting the number of people in HR?

Idea for cost savings, how about the executives or those making over $100,000 take a cut in pay? Isn't that a better idea than to continue to lay people off? Other companies do it why can't Navistar? Quit laying off the little people who aren't the ones that make the big $$$.

Falling Apart

Senior Product Development Engineer (Current Employee)
    Lisle, IL

ProsThe people are generally good to work with.
    The products are interesting to work on.

ConsPast management has dug the company into a huge hole. It will take years for Navistar to get back to where it was, and that may never happen. Current management gets lost in missing the big picture goals. They demand for a need for higher quality, yet lower costs, and these objectives often offset each other. Employees are not rewarded for being valuable or doing good work. They are only occasionally rewarded when they threaten to leave.

Navistar is not like any Company I have worked for and I enjoy my Job a lot.

Huntsville, AL

ProsNavistar is a friendly atmosphere and also professional. I work with very knowledgeable engineers and we are friends and co-workers together. My direct report is very knowledgeable and seems to help me with my job as I need it. I have had several direct reports at this job.???

ConsThe management is a little less easy to deal with and seems to be very demanding while communications are less than desirable but that is not uncommon from larger companies in the assembly areas. I have not received the merit raises I was expecting with this company despite the good reviews I received but no promotions have come my way so my position has not changed in 6 years. Communications and Management is below average. Compensation is not very well after you are employed. I was being paid overtime when I started but now the overtime pay has been eliminated. We have received good Incentive payouts during the entire time till now but that has been eliminated as well. Benefits were outstanding but now they are not so good. The notice has been given that the plant is now closing. I was going to make a career out of Navistar.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove Communication and spend more time improving the process with innovative new ways updating technology and less time supervising. Engineers need support not supervision. I have been to more production meetings than I can count but a true engineering meeting has been absent from the organization.
      Engineers need support and can't be supervised by production supervisors. You have to look at Engineers work as engineering views not production views. I have had plenty of Engineering Improvements ideas with no support for making the changes because it was not looked at from the engineering point of view. None of my managers have experience in the field of engineering and if it was not an immediate improvement it was not considered. There is not an Engineering manger and that makes the engineering staff weak because everything was pushed by Supervisors and not Engineering Mangers. Very bad for the company and why they are loosing money.

Navistar review

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee)
    Lisle, IL

ProsGood place to work. Good employee benefits.

ConsChallenging times. Need to resolve issues

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to take more in depth look at issues that led to current situation

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

challenging times

Prosproduct was very competitive until major issues arose

Conslack of enthusiasm due to uncertain company future

Great

Staff Accountant (Former Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsAt Navistar, we are passionate about giving our professionals the tools they need to excel. One way we accomplish this is through carefully crafted development programs that expose participants to a range of applications for their unique skill sets, intra- and inter-departmentally and cross-locationally.

ConsEach of these programs has been refined over time, with several members of Navistar’s current senior management team pointing to these mentor-based programs as excellent foundational experiences and catalysts for their eventual rise within our organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of all, however, these programs matter because your career matters. And we honor that by giving you comprehensive exposure to who we are and what we do so you can determine your best internal fit. In turn, we expect your most impactful contribution.

Ok company, great people, poor top management

Calibration Engineer (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat learning opportunities
    competitive salary
    great location

Conspoor structure
    ambiguous deadlines/ work profiles

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan future better

Worked for Navistar? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Navistar reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Navistar CEO Troy Clarke. All 332 reviews posted anonymously by Navistar employees.