Navistar Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Troy Clarke

Pros
  • Promotes a good work/life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Mostly good people to work with throughout the organization (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Direction from upper management is unclear (in 34 reviews)

• Little sense on the decision of senior management (in 12 reviews)

1. Could be great...

Current Employee - Senior Product Development Engineer in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Product Development Engineer in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time

Pros

Generally the "working level" employees are dedicated to their work and want to do the right thing. There are many opportunities to make yourself known because of the many challenges the company is facing that need to be addressed but aren't anyone's "job." The cafeteria at the world headquarters is very nice.

Cons

Middle-to-Upper level management routinely shoots first and asks questions later. The same management is often the biggest barrier to solving the problems they require their lower level managers and "working level" employees to address. Very little communication, transparency, and planning seem to exist on scales larger than small operating units/teams.

Advice to Management

Take these challenges our company has faced on the chin and step back, make a plan, and start to fix problems the right way instead of the fast-without-spending-money way

Great management

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great pay and benefits provided all specialty tools needed management is very willing to work with you on issues

Cons

low morale training is non existent

Advice to Management

Only advice would be to offer better training to employees on new technologies and procedures.

3. Good company, great Bosses

Current Employee - Machine Repairman in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Machine Repairman in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working environment is pleasant, co-workers make you feel like family. The people I work with function like a well oiled machine.

Cons

Way too many Chiefs and not enough Braves. The Union is a house Union, The skilled trades are not represented properly. Held back by Union rules.

Advice to Management

Middle management needs to diversify when choosing bosses, instead of having all bosses with a background in Electronics, they need to be more Mechanically oriented. Listen to employee input.

Working level people have been great to work with

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer - Team Lead in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer - Team Lead in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

An automotive oem in the chicagoland area? Depending on what group you are in, one can have a lot of fun and really make a difference in the company.

Cons

A lot of wasted time on trying to impress top level management and not enough time spent on the real work at hand. Ownership and pride in projects seems to be lacking

Advice to Management

You have to get people motivated and have pride in their company and what they do. Talent acquisition needs to find and be willing to pay the true enthusiast and the ones that want to engineer a great product. Not all engineers are created equal.

Once a great company to work for, look elsewhere if you are a young professional looking for career growth.

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer, Senior in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer, Senior in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Christmas break/ shutdown. I would like to write about my great coworkers, but currently most of them have left the company or they are looking elsewhere. My manager is great long term employee, but overwhelmed with 15+ direct reports. Probably a good place for older employees to wind down their career and retire in the Chicago area.

Cons

Currently a depressing atmosphere and still as of 2015 not recovering. I thought the bottom was reached about 1 year ago but we keep getting negative announcements. Melrose Facility no longer has a cafeteria. Hundreds of empty desks in both Lisle and Melrose means you're literally running the skeleton crew. Some labs were constructed in 2012 but never finished. Front of the building construction ceased 2 years ago and remains without walls and vacant. People leaving every day and things are getting worse. Promotions were once possible, but constant reorganization means opportunities are getting cut at every quarter. Many managers lost their direct reports so opportunity for leadership experience is nill. Pay is not competitive, particularly considering the Chicago area. I actually got a job offer at another company for $10k more pay, in the state of Michigan which has a much lower cost of living. I was a very hard working employee from 2009-2012. Each year, I looked forward to work, worked late , gained responsibility, etc but never got more than a 3 on my TPM. I would frequently log more than 50 hours per week in the past. My manager once told me that the TPM score was not a result of effort. For the past 2 years, I have just been doing the absolute minimum amount of work and still get the same 3 on my TPM. I probably should have gotten a 4 or 5 in the past, but now I have no motivation and still get the same score as I did in the past. TPM very ineffective system when you can't reward truly hard working employees. Did I mention the news headlines on Navistar?

Advice to Management

You know what you need to do, but obviously you can't give raises. I would suggest promoting some of the existing people into the management roles and giving direct reports with maybe a modest raise. Move people around so that experience is gained. I saw that is happening but not in engine group. There are too many great opportunities at other companies so the only people who you'd be able to hire from outside are going to be the bottom of the barrel. I'd say promote or use what little experience you have remaining to stop the bleeding.

sinking ship

Current Employee - Machine Repair in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Machine Repair in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

not expected to give your best

Cons

long term employment should not be expected, no sense of urgency plant wide

Advice to Management

turn the lights off now and avoid the inevitable.

Great company!

Current Employee - Engineering Team Leader in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Engineering Team Leader in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of freedom, very knowledgeable people to work with, State of the art Development Facility.

Cons

Because of the current financial situation there are no promotions. A lot of people is leaving and there are a lot of politics.

Advice to Management

Convert all the theoretical management training into practical daily actions. Provide fair evaluation to employes and high skilled employes.

This place made me hate/dread going in every day.

Former Employee - Senior Product Development Engineer in Melrose Park, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Product Development Engineer in Melrose Park, IL

I worked at Navistar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are into living in Chicago and happen to be an Engineer, there aren't that many options. The new complex is a good 2 hour drive now if you want to live in the city. The suburbs are really dull. When I started they had ridiculous benefits, but they were soon withdrawn in about 5 years.

Cons

Reading these reviews is really laughable because I've noticed on linked-in that with all the firings and layoffs, the people really responsible for all this companies public mistakes(losing FORD, 2010 V-8 platform, 2007 V-6), have all been promoted into senior management. It really is an old boys network. No one here I think has even begun to explain how messed up this company is. They also have always paid far less than real automotive OEMS, despite the higher cost of living in Chicago vs Detroit.

Advice to Management

Fire the entire management chain and bring in outsiders. What good is replacing your executive team if the people right below you care only about themselves and never have a single successful launch.

Great coworkers, Poor Company Management, and horrible union BS

Current Employee - Engineer in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Coworkers, Good products overall.

Cons

Dealing with union BS Poor program choices

Advice to Management

Stop selling high warranty product on emission credits. Make sure program costs can be recouped on real, not projected, sales volumes.

The most miserable experience of my Career. Perfect model of a toxic work environment.

Former Employee - Control Systems Engineer in Melrose Park, IL
    Former Employee - Control Systems Engineer in Melrose Park, IL

I worked at Navistar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* The actually paid overtime to non-supervisor engineers. I'm not sure if this is still in place. * There were decent benefits while I worked there, including generous tuition reimbursement. * Plenty of on sight activities such as Health, Education and Book fairs as well as sports. * Cheap underutilized gym on campus

Cons

The company turns a blind eye towards some of the most sadistic managers I have ever encountered. I had one manager who would regularly call me up late at night drunk and belligerent to scream at me about issues that had been solved months earlier. This same man also thought it would be a funny practical joke to call me back from a family vacation in order to deal with a crisis that didn't exist. The office environment itself consisted of constant screaming of obscenities, racial slurs and throwing of objects at people. Those who complained to HR were often never seen from again. Having to talk to customers and suppliers over the phone was embarrassing. The worst part was the constant threat that you would be the next person to be chewed out, often over something you were not even responsible for. I know this all sounds too extreme to be true. I wouldn't have believed any of this if I hadn't witnessed it with my own eyes. I am surprised there haven't been any major lawsuits, at least that I know of.

Advice to Management

Take a long, hard serious look at your corporate culture. Treating your employees like subhumans only drives those with options away and causes everyone else to not care a bit about the success of the company.

RSS Feed </> Embed