www.navistar.com

Updated February 22, 2015
Updated February 22, 2015
2.8

Troy Clarke

Pros
  • The work is interesting and they are flexible with the work/life balance which is great if you have kids (in 21 reviews)

• Good people and at the present time the company is still trying to not take away some perks (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The new upper management (directors and above) is making the environment difficult (in 34 reviews)

• Little sense on the decision of senior management (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall, company has considerable financial issues and has been losing money consecutively for over two years....

Former Employee - 3D Artist
    Former Employee - 3D Artist

I worked at Navistar

Pros

Campus is up to date and has a very clean appearance. Alot of the current staff are former GM, Ford and Chrysler employees and are very friendly and helpful.

Cons

Higher Management is so/so, I've sat in on alot of meetings with higher ups with great expectations and positive outlooks but when the "rubber hits the road" ....the numbers just dont measure up. They keep losing large sums of money every quarter that passes. The company's in some pretty hot water financially and has had consecutive layoffs for the last two years. Can't seem to stay above water. People have been leaving since I've been there (14 months). Hard to say if this will continue.....I wouldn't be surprised if they get a buy out from Scania or Volvo or another major trucking company in a few years.

Great management

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great pay and benefits
    provided all specialty tools needed
    management is very willing to work with you on issues

Cons

low morale
    training is non existent

Only advice would be to offer better training to employees on new technologies and procedures.

Only OK

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Nice campus (good food in cafeteria and well equipped fitness center)

Cons

- Chaos and lack of engineering resources related to progressive approach to on-going programs
    - No space for growth
    - "Antiquated" engineering tools, and obsolete process approach
    - Match to 401K contribution made on annual and not bi-weekly basis

Focus on what is more important - engineering, modern tools, and right process - this will make your products competitive.

Good company, great Bosses

Current Employee - Machine Repairman in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Machine Repairman in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working environment is pleasant, co-workers make you feel like family.
    The people I work with function like a well oiled machine.

Cons

Way too many Chiefs and not enough Braves.
    The Union is a house Union, The skilled trades are not represented properly.
    Held back by Union rules.

Middle management needs to diversify when choosing bosses, instead of having all bosses with a background in Electronics, they need to be more Mechanically oriented.
    Listen to employee input.

I have been working at Navistar

Pros

Overall I have had a pleasant experience working at Navistar, long standing company, good benefits, competitive salary

Cons

There are very few cons of working at Navistar other than the current struggles the company has been going through, but the ship seems to be righted on those.

Working level people have been great to work with

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer - Team Lead in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer - Team Lead in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

An automotive oem in the chicagoland area? Depending on what group you are in, one can have a lot of fun and really make a difference in the company.

Cons

A lot of wasted time on trying to impress top level management and not enough time spent on the real work at hand. Ownership and pride in projects seems to be lacking

You have to get people motivated and have pride in their company and what they do. Talent acquisition needs to find and be willing to pay the true enthusiast and the ones that want to engineer a great product. Not all engineers are created equal.

Difficult to Recommend

I have been working at Navistar

Pros

Company has good pay, strong benefits, impressive history. Seems to be minimal politics when it comes to hiring and promotion which is good.

Cons

This is a company that has fallen hard on it's face the last few years. It's the laughing stock of the truck industry and the competition is eating them for lunch. The company should be doing everything it can to rebuild it's reputation, but it's just not doing that. Incredibly outdated systems and that can't live up to the competition's systems. Never worked for a company where employees have to be emailed at least 2-3+ times to get something done. People do not reply to emails, do not call you back, and are rude to you when you try to get them to do their job. I thought it was an anomaly, but after working there for 3 years I see this in all departments I deal with. Senior management does nothing to address it, and doesn't like to hear about it. If you can even get them to reply that is...

Spinning Wheels

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Navistar as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Relaxed office environment, winter break, plenty of room to do what you want to do.

Cons

Wasn't hired on as promised despite exceeding management's expectations. Engineering Dept. full of waste and bogged down by incomprehensible, outdated computer systems in which Engineers are forced to work.

Your attrition strategy for cutting the budget just encouraged the talent to leave and left only the people too shiftless to find better employment. Consider actually tracking the workloads of your employees if you want them to work efficiently.

Excellent through the years; bad leadership decisions at end

Former Employee - Supply Chain Management in Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Management in Lisle, IL

I worked at Navistar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits
    Good products and reputation
    Great campus with several amenities

Cons

Too much politics
    Too much internal selling/negotiating
    Takes forever to get things done

Restrict your options in price pages
    Charge to so called up charge fees on options
    Assign real cost reduction goals on all functions; not just Purchasing
    Eliminate politics and status from Managers to top leadership
    Eliminate favorites in promotions: equal opportunity

Once a great company to work for, look elsewhere if you are a young professional looking for career growth.

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer, Senior in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer, Senior in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Christmas break/ shutdown. I would like to write about my great coworkers, but currently most of them have left the company or they are looking elsewhere. My manager is great long term employee, but overwhelmed with 15+ direct reports. Probably a good place for older employees to wind down their career and retire in the Chicago area.

Cons

Currently a depressing atmosphere and still as of 2015 not recovering. I thought the bottom was reached about 1 year ago but we keep getting negative announcements. Melrose Facility no longer has a cafeteria. Hundreds of empty desks in both Lisle and Melrose means you're literally running the skeleton crew. Some labs were constructed in 2012 but never finished. Front of the building construction ceased 2 years ago and remains without walls and vacant. People leaving every day and things are getting worse. Promotions were once possible, but constant reorganization means opportunities are getting cut at every quarter. Many managers lost their direct reports so opportunity for leadership experience is nill. Pay is not competitive, particularly considering the Chicago area. I actually got a job offer at another company for $10k more pay, in the state of Michigan which has a much lower cost of living. I was a very hard working employee from 2009-2012. Each year, I looked forward to work, worked late , gained responsibility, etc but never got more than a 3 on my TPM. I would frequently log more than 50 hours per week in the past. My manager once told me that the TPM score was not a result of effort. For the past 2 years, I have just been doing the absolute minimum amount of work and still get the same 3 on my TPM. I probably should have gotten a 4 or 5 in the past, but now I have no motivation and still get the same score as I did in the past. TPM very ineffective system when you can't reward truly hard working employees. Did I mention the news headlines on Navistar?

You know what you need to do, but obviously you can't give raises. I would suggest promoting some of the existing people into the management roles and giving direct reports with maybe a modest raise. Move people around so that experience is gained. I saw that is happening but not in engine group. There are too many great opportunities at other companies so the only people who you'd be able to hire from outside are going to be the bottom of the barrel. I'd say promote or use what little experience you have remaining to stop the bleeding.