Navistar
www.navistar.com Lisle, IL 5000+ Employees

Navistar Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Troy Clarke

Pros:
  • "Work life balance but that's like saying having nothing to do is a good thing"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Mostly good people to work with throughout the organization"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Management in middle are not challenging any decisions by upper management"
    in 31 reviews
  • "terrible organization, no opportunities for advancement"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Mostly good people with good intentions, but weighed down by bureacracy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Navistar full-time for more than a year

ProsSalary and benefits were not bad. Most of the people were friendly. There was a lot of effort at organizational level to support people.

ConsThe management structure and processes were not very efficient. As a result, many simple "no-brainer" decisions take much to long to happen. There was a switch to using external consulting companies to provide fundamental services. Management did not appear to listen to valid concerns from people about the challenges in making this switch - the resulting rollout was not very well executed.

Chaotic environment

I have been working at Navistar

ProsNice amenities, New programs to work on, Fair compensation package

ConsProjects are often cancelled half-way through, Poor training, Behind in terms of technology

Easy Internship

Engineering Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Navistar as an intern for less than a year

ProsVery nice headquarters campus, generous salary and housing stipend given to interns. A lot of interesting, younger engineers work there due to Navistar's move to Lisle, IL a few years ago when a lot of older people decided not to move with.

ConsMany of the interns either had very little to do or they had very involved projects. I first project was super easy excel drudgery but my boss treated it as if it were much more difficult for me and we had many unnecessary meetings -- I read the 4 hour work week at my desk in the time I had finished all of my work and was waiting on him. I should note that my second half of the internship was more involved and interesting. Oh, and they cut their intern program entirely in 2014

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen I was there it seemed like every one was focused on putting out fires much more than innovating. I noticed a few distinct types of people -- generic business types who were excited to be part of a company turn around, interesting young people who had been with the company a few years but were not in leadership roles, and old timers who seemed to do most of the work and were stressed out as a result. The company needs a vision to work towards that can excite the younger employees into doing something more than a typical project engineer.

Great people, great environment, but a struggling company

IT Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Navistar as an intern for less than a year

ProsI interned there in the summer of 2013 for the it department. The atmosphere was very welcoming and training was a breeze. For the first few weeks after training i didn't have anything to do, due to my lack of knowledge in .net. Though i was able to find projects for my manager to complete. Navistar is really a great company, but there was so many changes going on in management that there was no really clear path of where the company is heading

ConsThey should find ways to clear state the goals for incoming interns on what should be accomplished. There was a lot of wasted time and really lack of work. It may good to some people, but i felt wasn't really challenged or gained much experience for future work.

Engineering Manager

Senior Engineering Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Navistar full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place to work! Navistar leadership is doing a great job to put the Company on the right way, so it's a matter of time to the Company recover completely.

ConsWhile the Company is fighting to recover, tough decision is being made, which sometime is affecting the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementNavistar leadership is putting the Company on the right path!

Not Learning from Mistakes

Product Development Engineer (Current Employee)
Lis, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice campus. Great coworkers. Plenty of engineering talent. Okay salary.

ConsTerrible management. The company is struggling to recover from a disastrous engine strategy, and while most of THAT management has left, the new management isn't doing much better. Even with a "flattened" organization, they managed to make it even harder to fix known problems or implement improvements, but once management has made a bad decision, the marching orders will not change until it has exploded in their faces.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen when someone in engineering tells you it's a bad idea. Stop chasing nickels and dimes and let the (talented) engineering staff launch new products to shake away the 2010 funk.

Most importantly, stop bleeding talent. Every week it seems that another knowledgeable coworker is leaving.

VP musical chairs while base level gets stripped of resources and blamed for it all

I have been working at Navistar

ProsGood base level guys that give their all and make a huge difference

ConsNo recognition, no way to move up, no raises, and you receive no real management.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees, pat them on the back when they are putting more than what they signed up for, realize that everyone is leaving because of your doing, not because of the financial status of the company.

Pretty good company to work for overall.

Product Cost Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Navistar full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat opportunities to advance in the company.

ConsNavistar believes in overworking their employees and pushing them to the point of no return. Managers with bad attitudes and some non working managers who micro manage and don't add value to the cause.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow appreciation to the employees and understand the work needed to get the job done and make attainable goals that are realistic to reach.

Great learning and job experience!

Lead Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Madison Heights, MI

I have been working at Navistar full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat hands on work experience understanding how the business works as a whole. Great culture and atmosphere. Has a great work life balance.

ConsIt is difficult completing certain tasks/projects at times due to misdirection or lack of clarity of what is supposed to be accomplished for a specific project.

Great coworkers, Poor Company Management, and horrible union BS

Engineer (Current Employee)
Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Coworkers, Good products overall.

ConsDealing with union BS
Poor program choices

Advice to Senior ManagementStop selling high warranty product on emission credits.
Make sure program costs can be recouped on real, not projected, sales volumes.

Worked for Navistar? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Navistar reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Navistar CEO Troy Clarke. All 300 reviews posted anonymously by Navistar employees.