Navistar Reviews

1. Navistar Review

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Navistar

Pros

Great experience and products at navistar

Cons

Lack of communication from upper management

Advice to Management

listen and communicate with employees

Pays the bills

Current Employee - Senior Product Development Engineer in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Product Development Engineer in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-If you're in lower management, you are tenured and never need to worry about being laid off. Only worker bees and executives get removed.
    -Inept lower management has no skills in leadership or managing. This causes everyone's motivation and morale to be as low as possible.

Once you learn the ropes and keep your head up that the external job market will improve, working at Navistar is not that bad.
    -No work of any kind will ever get recognized or rewarded. So put in your 40 hours and go home. Don’t believe anything a person in leadership says about the dangling carrot in front of you. It’s not there. Ask any employee. DON’T TRY CHASING THE CARROT. . If you want extra money work a few night shifts at McDonalds or Walmart. There you will be paid for your time.
    -Fort Wayne is the greatest city in the world. All Fort Wayne people are superior to every other person on the planet. Don’t forget this saying. It is the bible of Navistar.
    -The Fort Wayne good old boys take care of each other. This puts the final nail in the coffin for motivation. If the company gives out raises, the bulk of it goes to the Fort Wayne/good old boy clan. Everyone else divides up what is left. All identified super star employees for raises will be in the clan no matter how much they failed in the past.
    -Weak board of directors-Top level leadership knows the answers to the business book questions but their actions are the opposite. Top level people are like parasites milking the place dry with their high salaries living the life. If there was a shred of integrity and self-respect in these people they would voluntary take pay cuts of 50-75%. Since the top level leadership knows the board of directors is weak, they are using this to help get their friends even richer. People in VP positions are buddies of top level people. VP’s need to be told straight up of their job requirements, you’re here to take money and be the fall guy when your contract is up to save my high ranking position. So enjoy the money and vacation they call working at Navistar.
    -Don’t worry about layoffs- SEC filings explain all. Even if the place is profitable, it would take 20-30 years to pay everyone back Navistar owes. So kiss your raises and profit sharing good bye. DON’T CHASE THE CARROT. IT’S NOT THERE.

Advice to worker bees. Kick back, relax, enjoy the show. No point in picking fights, standing alone for what you believe is right, blah blah blah, take it else where to a high performing company if that's what you want to work in. This is a C and D company.

Cons

-Anti-American engineering center
    Company hires H1’s and TN’s for jobs any American engineer could do. Foreigners in manager positions will discriminate against hiring American workers. I know people in the USA are still fighting for racial diversity at other companies, but Navistar is light years ahead of that by discriminating against all Americans in engineering. One reason for this is because American engineers will not tolerate this leadership’s behavior and leave. Visa sponsored employees have no choice. They have to take the beatings or face deportation to their home country which they speak so highly of but don’t want to live there. Hiring H1’s got so excessive that someone asked how come Navistar can find so many college grads in other countries with questionable education standards and 0 years’ experience but not any American college grads with 0 years.

Advice to Management

Don't waste your time trying to give advice to management. THEY DON'T CARE. You are warm body adding to the number of people in their empire for bragging rights and nothing more. Know your place.

Once a great company to work for, look elsewhere if you are a young professional looking for career growth.

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer, Senior in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer, Senior in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Christmas break/ shutdown. I would like to write about my great coworkers, but currently most of them have left the company or they are looking elsewhere. My manager is great long term employee, but overwhelmed with 15+ direct reports. Probably a good place for older employees to wind down their career and retire in the Chicago area.

Cons

Currently a depressing atmosphere and still as of 2015 not recovering. I thought the bottom was reached about 1 year ago but we keep getting negative announcements. Melrose Facility no longer has a cafeteria. Hundreds of empty desks in both Lisle and Melrose means you're literally running the skeleton crew. Some labs were constructed in 2012 but never finished. Front of the building construction ceased 2 years ago and remains without walls and vacant. People leaving every day and things are getting worse. Promotions were once possible, but constant reorganization means opportunities are getting cut at every quarter. Many managers lost their direct reports so opportunity for leadership experience is nill. Pay is not competitive, particularly considering the Chicago area. I actually got a job offer at another company for $10k more pay, in the state of Michigan which has a much lower cost of living. I was a very hard working employee from 2009-2012. Each year, I looked forward to work, worked late , gained responsibility, etc but never got more than a 3 on my TPM. I would frequently log more than 50 hours per week in the past. My manager once told me that the TPM score was not a result of effort. For the past 2 years, I have just been doing the absolute minimum amount of work and still get the same 3 on my TPM. I probably should have gotten a 4 or 5 in the past, but now I have no motivation and still get the same score as I did in the past. TPM very ineffective system when you can't reward truly hard working employees. Did I mention the news headlines on Navistar?

Advice to Management

You know what you need to do, but obviously you can't give raises. I would suggest promoting some of the existing people into the management roles and giving direct reports with maybe a modest raise. Move people around so that experience is gained. I saw that is happening but not in engine group. There are too many great opportunities at other companies so the only people who you'd be able to hire from outside are going to be the bottom of the barrel. I'd say promote or use what little experience you have remaining to stop the bleeding.

sinking ship

Current Employee - Machine Repair in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Machine Repair in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

not expected to give your best

Cons

long term employment should not be expected, no sense of urgency plant wide

Advice to Management

turn the lights off now and avoid the inevitable.

6. Job Hunter Beware!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Navistar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salary, clean facilities, friendly environment if your a regular hourly employee. Up to date computers, some software is old but easy to learn.

Cons

Some employees work pretty much for free. Your asked to leave early or take extended lunches to cover the difference so over time isn't paid. If you take a break the time must be made up. Rules are in place but they only apply to some. Management is pretty much in a state of chaos. One woman is in charge and the others must please her no matter who gets stepped on. Bonuses no longer happen, focus is on customer service however the service of its employees are overlooked. Concerns are never addressed, work is not even, some have barely enough to do while others do the job of 3. This location emphasizes cost savings at the expense of its employees by piling so much on them. In an effort to save money they will not longer supply cream & sugar for coffee. This is how petty its become. Turnover is constant, your work isn't valued.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more often than throwing them under the bus!

Politics Galore and underpaid

Former Employee - Project Manager in Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Lisle, IL

I worked at Navistar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Paid Shut down for almost 2 weeks in December in addition to your vacation time.

Cons

No raises or profit sharing
    company is unstable has had over 5 layoffs in the last 2 years.
    Very cut throat
    I was one of the few with a degree and management around me who didn't have one made sure to make anyone who can take their position suffer.

Advice to Management

If you cared about your employees more and paid them accordingly you would get them to perform as much as you want them too.

The beginning of the end...

I worked at Navistar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place for task-oriented people who carry low expectations and lack ambition, and people who live outside the city limits.

Cons

No product innovation. Bad financial state. Shareholder activism. Dubious GM retirees as executives. Top heavy organization. Incompetent middle managers lacking basic problem solving skills. Old school thinking and actions. Political silos. No opportunities to grow and develop in the good'ol boys' network. Low quality and overworked employees. Poor morale, below industry salaries, and dwindling benefits.

Advice to Management

Be prepared for the lonely ride to oblivion.

Navistar

Current Employee - Project Manager in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great group of hardworking people. Plenty of opportunities to challenge yourself. Company has a great history and product line that I am proud to represent.

Cons

Roles and responsibilities are not always clearly defined. It is difficult to figure out how to progress within the company. Next to no leadership development programs available.

10. Once upon a time a great company to work for

I have been working at Navistar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

>Some excellent mid level managers.
    >Relatively young workers

Cons

>Absurdly high turnover(One engineer seems to quit every day and the position is not back filled)
    >Ridiculous work load balance(Certain groups have just insane work load and responsibilities while others have nothing at all to do and no responsibility. Oh and engineers in all these groups get paid the same...)
    >No reason to stand out and perform above and beyond what is needed because you will just be rewarded with more work and will not get recognized; only your failures are noted and not the success
    > Some absolutely clueless mid/high management; Unreasonable program deadlines and absolutely no resources.

In conclusion the engineer's job in certain high stress and high work load groups seems to be set up to fail. The fact that the company has not simply folded boggles my mind.

Advice to Management

For god sake hire more people!!!!!

11. Slow turnaround

I have been working at Navistar

Pros

Plenty of parking and flexible hours.

Cons

relying to much on contract employees.