Navistar

www.navistar.com
Profile Unclaimed

Once a great company to work for, look elsewhere if you are a young professional looking for career growth.

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer, Senior in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer, Senior in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Christmas break/ shutdown. I would like to write about my great coworkers, but currently most of them have left the company or they are looking elsewhere. My manager is great long term employee, but overwhelmed with 15+ direct reports. Probably a good place for older employees to wind down their career and retire in the Chicago area.

Cons

Currently a depressing atmosphere and still as of 2015 not recovering. I thought the bottom was reached about 1 year ago but we keep getting negative announcements. Melrose Facility no longer has a cafeteria. Hundreds of empty desks in both Lisle and Melrose means you're literally running the skeleton crew. Some labs were constructed in 2012 but never finished. Front of the building construction ceased 2 years ago and remains without walls and vacant. People leaving every day and things are getting worse. Promotions were once possible, but constant reorganization means opportunities are getting cut at every quarter. Many managers lost their direct reports so opportunity for leadership experience is nill. Pay is not competitive, particularly considering the Chicago area. I actually got a job offer at another company for $10k more pay, in the state of Michigan which has a much lower cost of living. I was a very hard working employee from 2009-2012. Each year, I looked forward to work, worked late , gained responsibility, etc but never got more than a 3 on my TPM. I would frequently log more than 50 hours per week in the past. My manager once told me that the TPM score was not a result of effort. For the past 2 years, I have just been doing the absolute minimum amount of work and still get the same 3 on my TPM. I probably should have gotten a 4 or 5 in the past, but now I have no motivation and still get the same score as I did in the past. TPM very ineffective system when you can't reward truly hard working employees. Did I mention the news headlines on Navistar?

You know what you need to do, but obviously you can't give raises. I would suggest promoting some of the existing people into the management roles and giving direct reports with maybe a modest raise. Move people around so that experience is gained. I saw that is happening but not in engine group. There are too many great opportunities at other companies so the only people who you'd be able to hire from outside are going to be the bottom of the barrel. I'd say promote or use what little experience you have remaining to stop the bleeding.

The beginning of the end...

I worked at Navistar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place for task-oriented people who carry low expectations and lack ambition, and people who live outside the city limits.

Cons

No product innovation. Bad financial state. Shareholder activism. Dubious GM retirees as executives. Top heavy organization. Incompetent middle managers lacking basic problem solving skills. Old school thinking and actions. Political silos. No opportunities to grow and develop in the good'ol boys' network. Low quality and overworked employees. Poor morale, below industry salaries, and dwindling benefits.

Be prepared for the lonely ride to oblivion.

Job Hunter Beware!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Navistar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salary, clean facilities, friendly environment if your a regular hourly employee. Up to date computers, some software is old but easy to learn.

Cons

Some employees work pretty much for free. Your asked to leave early or take extended lunches to cover the difference so over time isn't paid. If you take a break the time must be made up. Rules are in place but they only apply to some. Management is pretty much in a state of chaos. One woman is in charge and the others must please her no matter who gets stepped on. Bonuses no longer happen, focus is on customer service however the service of its employees are overlooked. Concerns are never addressed, work is not even, some have barely enough to do while others do the job of 3. This location emphasizes cost savings at the expense of its employees by piling so much on them. In an effort to save money they will not longer supply cream & sugar for coffee. This is how petty its become. Turnover is constant, your work isn't valued.

Listen to your employees more often than throwing them under the bus!

Slow turnaround

I have been working at Navistar

Pros

Plenty of parking and flexible hours.

Cons

relying to much on contract employees.

Good company... Needs a lot of work to be a great company...

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ample opportunity to grow, learn, and develop as well as advancement. Many options/pathways to work on and explore for new engineers. Never a dull day.

Cons

Lacks common sense and robust processes. Plagued by poor decisions. Not doing enough to keep and grow talent within the company.

Need to define better process to plan up front. Plan margin for error. Learn from mistakes. Reward employees for their accomplishments in significant/meaningful ways. Seek out and recognize true assets to the company and keep them happy/productive. Pay the "worker bees" before the "queen bees" to help moral and retention. Take time out of the busy days of meetings and fires to meet the teams 2-3-4 levels below you in personal ways (making rounds). Again, recognize the successes and not just the problems.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Program Manager in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time

Pros

Good location and various positions available for advancement

Cons

Current short term business struggles

avoid if possible

I have been working at Navistar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great location
    colleagues are nice to work with

Cons

process issues - no one follows them though they talk about wanting to follow each and every process
    poor management - cannot decide upon company's vision
    poor product planning

improve product planning and timing plans - be realistic and consider/understand what it really takes to get the job done at a low level.
    Address needs of customer directly
    award those who work hard and reallocate those who pretend to know it all

Very laid back and not much stress.

Former Contractor - Senior Fleet Specialist in Lisle, IL
    Former Contractor - Senior Fleet Specialist in Lisle, IL

I worked at Navistar as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Room for advancement and self growth is highly sought and promoted. Competitive salary and okay benefits.

Cons

Most things take a long time. Big on being lean but not really practiced or taking seriously in some departments. WAY too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

Education

What the heck

Current Employee - Security Analyst in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Security Analyst in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relax and easy environment

Cons

no sense of urgency, everyone is a boss

respect your team,

Can't stop the bleeding

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Lisle, IL

I worked at Navistar full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-Decent starting compensation
    -Large (somewhat falling-apart) campus
    -A few "diamonds in the rough' for coworkers
    -2 Parking Garages
    -Great starting benefits for now

Cons

Please note, most of these Cons occurred after Dan Unstian was fired and the massive "transformation" began.

- Promotions/Reviews: Their system started as a way for normal employees to steadily progress within the company. However, their new focus on "cost savings" has severely crippled their retention. Employees are given a rating of 1-5 which decides their rate change/promotion or discipline depending on their score. Scores of 4 or 5 are guaranteed compensation increases, while 3's are the most common (met expectations). These scores reflect the employee's Development and Business goals, neither of which the employee has any say in. Managers have "Calibration meetings" at year-end where they are strongly discouraged at giving 4's or 5's, no matter what the employee has accomplished.

- Leadership: Their best sales and business staff has fled this company long ago. The ones staying, are ones currently under a retention bonus contract that pays them a lump sum every 6 months for the duration of 2 years. If you're looking to grow with a company, you would best serve looking elsewhere. Additionally, they have been playing the "hold the lines, we're nearly there" card for nearly 2 years. During those two years, nearly 40% of their Lisle employees were either laid off, fired, or have gone to greener pastures. They can't stop the bleeding, and they're panicking.

- Human Resources: Their HR is split into 3 separate areas: the Human Resource Consultants (not contractors), Talent Acquisition and the Employee Retire Information Center. You won't find this at most companies because it creates discord and confusion. There have been consistent rumors the last 6 months involving the outsourcing of HR entirely, or at the very least ERIC. There's simply no reason to have 3 separate departments staffed servicing what is left of the company.

-Recognition/Culture: 4 years ago, a yearly company paid Christmas outing was what everyone looked forward to. Employees were routinely rewarded for going above and beyond both inside and outside of the workplace. After the transformation, you will not find that here anymore. Lump Sum awards now have a cap of a miniscule amount on them, and they are strictly given to senior management and above. They've recently lifted part of Toyota's and Google's culture motos, but none of the results and work that need to go behind it. A culture change is far more than changing your internal slogan.

I grew up with Navistar, and it broke my heart these last 3 years watching it pick itself apart. It's becoming increasingly evident by the atrocious retention rate and lack of morale, that the company is downsizing itself to be small enough to sell off. The job market has changed dramatically in the last 2 years. People have choices now, and Navistar fails to realize this.