Navistar Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014

2.7

Troy Clarke

Pros
  • The work is interesting and they are flexible with the work/life balance which is great if you have kids (in 19 reviews)

• Good people and at the present time the company is still trying to not take away some perks (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • The new upper management (directors and above) is making the environment difficult (in 33 reviews)

• However at certain level of the senior management, they do recognize change is needed (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible place to work. Crooked union(UAW) and human resources fires you if you don't worship them.

Current Employee - Assembler  in  Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Assembler in Springfield, OH

I have been working at Navistar full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay and benefits are decent for the older union workers.

Cons

Workload has increased dramatically over the last 10 years while the union has given away pay raises, vacation, pensions, profit sharing and dignity. New employees start out at almost $10 an hour less that older workers. The UAW has gotten into bed with human resources and they see that you are fired unless you act like they are all God.

Fire all human resources employees and start from scratch. Put ALL UAW leaders back on the assembly line or fire them.

This place made me hate/dread going in every day.

Former Employee - Senior Product Development Engineer  in  Melrose Park, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Product Development Engineer in Melrose Park, IL

I worked at Navistar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are into living in Chicago and happen to be an Engineer, there aren't that many options. The new complex is a good 2 hour drive now if you want to live in the city. The suburbs are really dull. When I started they had ridiculous benefits, but they were soon withdrawn in about 5 years.

Cons

Reading these reviews is really laughable because I've noticed on linked-in that with all the firings and layoffs, the people really responsible for all this companies public mistakes(losing FORD, 2010 V-8 platform, 2007 V-6), have all been promoted into senior management. It really is an old boys network. No one here I think has even begun to explain how messed up this company is. They also have always paid far less than real automotive OEMS, despite the higher cost of living in Chicago vs Detroit.

Fire the entire management chain and bring in outsiders. What good is replacing your executive team if the people right below you care only about themselves and never have a single successful launch.

Horrible

Former Employee - Payroll Coordinator  in  Warrenville, IL
    Former Employee - Payroll Coordinator in Warrenville, IL

I worked at Navistar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, Well recognized company, Community Events

Cons

Management, CEO, Compensation, company culture

I worked in the payroll dept and it was horrible. The managers all know each other and the only promote their friends. They work you like a dog and there are always payroll issues. Nobody in that dept knows what they are doing and the managers take 2 hour lunches while the rest if us were chained to our desks. The employees are not treated well and fear being fired for anything that they do. It is not a happy work environment to be apart of and I was miserable everyday and the pay raises are not great either. Save yourself the headache and work somewhere else, its not worth your sanity.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

working environment sucks!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

competitive salary, great learning opportunity for new employee especially fresh out of college kids

Cons

layoffs and restructuring occurs every couple of months

promote people based on accomplishment not just on connection.

Have enjoyed time here and learned alot over the time I have worked here.

Current Employee - Materials Analyst  in  Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Materials Analyst in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Navistar full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Have good group of people working here at my facility that cared a hole lot about the plant and pride in their jobs.

Cons

uppper management decisions that effected and virtually caused plant to idle down.

Significant opportunities once past the turnaround

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great, historic brand. Excellent corporate campus.

Cons

Company is in a turnaround phase

Focus on keeping high-performing talent that is critical to the company's turnaround efforts.

Company is playing catch up

I have been working at Navistar

Pros

Lots of freedom, low stress, and great people. There are always opportunities to learn. There are many group functions where you get to bond with coworkers and have fun.

Cons

Sometimes there is too much freedom causing projects to change often from person to person. Also, there is some resistance when trying to change some of the old ways, even though the company is trying to change for the better.

Take consideration when people try to improve products, and communicate more.

Worked at the Wakarusa plant while it was still part of Navistar

Former Employee - Accountant  in  Wakarusa, IN
    Former Employee - Accountant in Wakarusa, IN

I worked at Navistar as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The local management tried to keep office employees involved in the business propects and future plans. They also had periodic lunches for all employees, both office and production hourly employees.

Cons

It was difficult working in a matrix organization because the lines of responsibility were often blurred especially as the engineering functions were being moved to the Chicago area.

Need to keep the focus on the most important factors driving the business, the future engine requirements. The focus was lost while the business was expanding into new businesses.

Mostly good people with good intentions, but weighed down by bureacracy

I worked at Navistar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary and benefits were not bad. Most of the people were friendly. There was a lot of effort at organizational level to support people.

Cons

The management structure and processes were not very efficient. As a result, many simple "no-brainer" decisions take much to long to happen. There was a switch to using external consulting companies to provide fundamental services. Management did not appear to listen to valid concerns from people about the challenges in making this switch - the resulting rollout was not very well executed.

Easy Internship

Former Employee - Engineering Intern  in  Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Lisle, IL

I worked at Navistar as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very nice headquarters campus, generous salary and housing stipend given to interns. A lot of interesting, younger engineers work there due to Navistar's move to Lisle, IL a few years ago when a lot of older people decided not to move with.

Cons

Many of the interns either had very little to do or they had very involved projects. I first project was super easy excel drudgery but my boss treated it as if it were much more difficult for me and we had many unnecessary meetings -- I read the 4 hour work week at my desk in the time I had finished all of my work and was waiting on him. I should note that my second half of the internship was more involved and interesting. Oh, and they cut their intern program entirely in 2014

When I was there it seemed like every one was focused on putting out fires much more than innovating. I noticed a few distinct types of people -- generic business types who were excited to be part of a company turn around, interesting young people who had been with the company a few years but were not in leadership roles, and old timers who seemed to do most of the work and were stressed out as a result. The company needs a vision to work towards that can excite the younger employees into doing something more than a typical project engineer.

Worked for Navistar? Contribute to the Community!