Navitaire
www.navitaire.com Minneapolis, MN 500 to 999 Employees

Navitaire Reviews

Updated Mar 20, 2014
Navitaire – Salt Lake City – “The building to the right”

John Dabkowski

GREAT!!!

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe company is full of positive attitudes and knowledge. Everyone is willing to contribute to get a project completed. Ability to work from home and extremely flexible schedule.

ConsCompany is subsidiary of Accenture so must do all the Accenture training and etc...

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing

Software Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople were great to work with, exciting work at times, great customers, chance to travel. Solid company with great product.

ConsManagement, process, politics, no advancement and underpaid for market.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need managers with better vision and people skills. Most managers are ex-developers and seem to rather code in their offices than get out and meet and lead the company. Had managers who didn't even know my name.

Family -- in a good way

Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsExcellent people at all levels; lots of potential in the company and opportunities to set your own direction and work schedule; Many long-term and returned (left and were hired back) employees show that this is a "family" -- in addition to being a company.

Parent company is Accenture and there are outstanding benefits, in addition to a driving force for "inclusion and diversity" -- which can be a bit of fresh air in Utah.

People genuinely care about each other and it is a pleasure to work here.

ConsLack of growth/career opportunities due to the size of the company (relatively small) and little attrition ("waiting for someone to get hit by a bus").

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more (there can NEVER be too much)

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enjoyed my time and learned a lot

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCEO is down to earth and cares a lot, global aspect, smart people, interesting work

ConsSometimes challenging with the Accenture oversight

Doing it right.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGood direction and management. The proper amount of planning and gathering of the right resources created a great place to work. All other companies I've worked for could take lessons.

ConsLike any software shop deadlines and long hours from time to time. The only other con is the current downturn in the travel industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

A good place to work.

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsNavitaire invests in their employees and helps them grow both personally and professionaly. There are a lot of employees who have been there for many years so if you do a good job they do recognize that and make it known. For the most part it is a very good place to work.

ConsThere was a lot of turn over when I worked there in management. When they would hire new management the transition was often times difficult for them to get up to speed and understand the business. In addition, they had a lot of employees over seas which made communication difficult for many reasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees here in the States even if it comes at a cost. The benifits out weight the negatives in my opinion. I understand the whole competitive issue...but when your employees feel value - that is worth more in the long run.

Horrible Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAirline & travel are fun industries.

ConsDifferent people to work with.

not like work at all

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsOne of the companies with the best culture. It feels like you're not working at all. The people around are the best people I've seen so far. You also get a chance to work with the smartest people. Technology-wise, it will depend on the team you're at. But they strive to keep the technology used up to date.

ConsThe salary is quite low compared to similar companies under the same industry. Promotion process is a bit mysterious. That's it. Everything else is great here.

Mixed Bag

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsNavitaire has a great product and some very smart, talented & hard working people . There is a decent amount of PTO (Paid Time Off) and flexibility in terms of working from home. Benefits are pretty good. Compensation is all over the place. Tech gear is kept up to date.

ConsNavitaire is owned by Accenture and the delineation between who does what is a bit of a dog's breakfast. Certain things are clear (i.e. performance management process is Accenture) but other areas of responsibility, particularly in the realm of HR & promotions, are not clear, and there is a lot of confusion and running around in circles. Even with other things, you'll hear that we are doing things one way, then something happens another way. This is a major pain in the neck for employees.

In that regard, we worked much better as an independent entity, before we were swallowed up by Accenture. There was a certain element of consistency.

Another Accenture level negative is the travel policy whereby some of us who do a LOT of long haul flying are forced to fly economy even though clients are happy to pay for business class airfares.

On the other hand, Navitaire grew too fast for their small-company managers and executives, and mgmt simply didn't have the understanding of how to run a large scale multi hosted ASP. This is improving, in part to Accenture.

Certain teams have better work/life balance than others, which like to work you to death. Promotions in certain offices are a mystery and there are interesting parallels between who is buddies with whom and who gets promoted.

Another thing the company is missing is a feedback system for bosses. In previous roles, performance management also gave you the opportunity to rate and provide feedback to your manager. This is sorely needed here, because as in many tech companies, it's not always a good idea to put technical geniuses in charge of managing people.

Great place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- People. What the compensation package lacks is filled in by the warm and talented people to work with.
    - Insights. The management is open to suggestions from staffs to make the company a better place to work in.
    - Medical Benefits. Probably second to none. The medical benefits for this company is fantastic.
    - Experience. Navitaire has a trademark of hiring the best people. As a result, the culture is a high performing bunch of individuals working together. You'll learn a lot from the people here professionally, personally, and philosophically.

Cons- Compensation. As this is a business under accenture, the salary is subpar in comparison to the contribution.
    - Promotions and Evaluation. I left the company because I felt my contributions are not translated into recognition. I personally think that this is a thorn that has to find a way out of the system.
    - Accenture. Yes, the mother company. Navitaire was better off when it was an independent entity. Navitaire's leadership is great. Accenture's leadership is unpleasant.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees. People seldom quit because of their work. Most people quit because of people --- particularly leaders.

Worked for Navitaire? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Navitaire reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Navitaire CEO John Dabkowski . All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Navitaire employees.