Navstar

Add Photos

Navstar President and CEO Joanna Alexis

Joanna Alexis

Security Engineer

Senior IT Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Company, small business, and employee centric. Great camaraderie within the workforce. Commonly has team building events that fall around happy hour. Offers education and training benefits.

ConsNew company with goals of becoming big has its share of growing pains. No real negatives, great to work for!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what your doing.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not a very structured company.

IT Consultant (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGood Salary and Long Contracts

ConsManagement approach and treatment of employees to sum up in one word; unbelievable.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everyone the same as they walk in your door, as when they are walking out. It is a small community in this area supporting the same customer.

Worse job ever!

Corporate (Former Employee) Reston, VA

Prosoverpaying employees so they stay

Consstaffing company, no offering; poor management from president. Very small firm

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Navstar is the best place to be

Senior Recruiter (Current Employee) Reston, VA

Prosfamily oriented, flexible schedule, opportunity to grow

ConsThe company is smaller and in heavy growth mode.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the best leadership that I have experienced over 13 years in my career

I have had an excellent experience at Navstar

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsNavstar allows employees to be rewarded financially.

ConsIt's a smaller environment so you have to be okay with a more intimate setting.

Losing Top Workers

Project Manager (Current Employee) McLean, VA

Prosit used to be a great place to work. We were proud of who we worked for, and the company opportunities. Some vestiges of the glory days still remain, but the culture is vastly different.

ConsA lot of changes are ridiculous and completely mismanaged.
    2010 was the year of the exodus of top performers (including long-term veterans).
    Many of the new people are below average. Management does not listen to employees - their egos are so large.
    Morale is at a definite all-time low. The president has very little ethic and loyalty.
    The company may actually be shrinking not growing.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have lost many talented people due to your inconsideration. Don't treat employees as only resources, think things through before taking any action.

Went downhill fast...

Senior IT Manager (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsFormer employees were a great group of people.

ConsMorale is low. Very impersonal company with little visibility.
    Constant turnover. Lack of direction/Constant change in direction.
    Over-promising and under-delivering to both customers and employees.

Bad management sets up a chain reaction of staff turnover and customer dissatisfaction. When employees get mistreated, they quit. As new people begin their learning curve, customer service deteriorates. When turnover reaches maximum overload, new employees are usually just thrown into their jobs with little or no training and customers start to leave and never come back.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over.

My experience at Navstar so far has been excellent!

ProsI am a new employee to Navstar and I find that the corporate staff is very knowledgeable and helpful - from the recruiting process to new hire orientation. I really like the small environment and that the executive team all knows me by name!

ConsMore of an opportunity - continue to grow the business to provide more opportunities for employees.

Unorganized

IT Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsAs an offsite consultant, I do not have to the displeasure of working at the home office. I work on a long term contract with the federal government. I enjoy good pay and benefits as W2 employee at Navstar.

ConsI don't understand the many changes that have taken place in the home office. It takes several days to get a response from management. Advise to others, check your pay check because there have been several "mishaps" such as 401K not being deposited, overcharge on medical, and overtime not being paid out in a timely manner.

It didn't used to be that way, employees were treated with respect but they are going through major growing pains or maybe that is the company's attitude through this rough economy. You the the kind of attitude thinking everyone should be lucky to have a job. Wrong attitude!

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up! Treat your employees with respect!

Was a great place to work

ProsHR was a highlight, a pleasure to work with and was always friendly and helpful. The President was very hands on until she hired a new VP and then became very distant with staff.

ConsNavstar was a place I was proud to call my company, until the middle of 2010 when there was some serious changes at the HQ level bringing in senior management who were very against everything the company had built a positive reputation represented. Business practices reverted and the legacy staff quit one by one as a senior leader became a senior pain and displeasure to come into the office and work with on a daily basis. It is 2010 and printing should be something done on a serious as needed basis. GreenIT is a compentency of Navstar yet, one influencial employee prints probably a ream a day.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should have never hired a VP of Operations that operates within the constructs of a 1950s workforce. The HQ became a cold and unfriendly and unwelcomed place to work. Additionally the way the recruiters are being treated appears to be very kindergarten like and highly inappropriate for a professional office scenario.

Worked for Navstar? Contribute to the Community!