Navy Exchange Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
CEO

Pros
  • benefits sick leave annual leave decent paychecks (in 6 reviews)

• Working in retail that supports the military; federally employed with good benefits, a 401K and transportation allowance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They also tend to be very reluctant to give you full time employment (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay, drama, small people amount of people working (in 6 reviews)

1. 4 years

Pros

Over seas travel is optional

Cons

Government jobs have a lot of red tape

2. good starter job

Former Employee - SALES CLERK
    Former Employee - SALES CLERK

I worked at Navy Exchange part-time (More than a year)

Pros

simple job, decent hours, okay pay. good job for starter/rookie.

Cons

management doesnt really care about the little guys.

3. Stressful job

Current Employee - SALES CLERK in Belle Chasse, LA
    Current Employee - SALES CLERK in Belle Chasse, LA

I have been working at Navy Exchange part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Well I'm learning many things at this job. so l, can take all this knowledge somewhere that someone will appreciate me more for my hard work that I give. 200% to the customers and to my fellow associate.

Cons

They have you working all over the store even though your job may be a sales clerk even though your job may be a cashier. the job that I have is uniform and shoes . I'm working in two departments one is the shoe department and the other is the uniform apartments for the pay that I'm getting is exhausting. it's ridiculous! I have maybe one associate that said enough is enough and just quit found something better. They cannot keep associate hired. So that means that if associate is a silk or they may have to do someone else's job or maybe volunteer to do some ones you already just tell you oh well this person just quit so you have to do this job even though it not your job.

Advice to Management

Pay associate the living salary so they can maintain a roof over there head. Food in your stomach.

5. Clerk

Former Employee - Clerk in Monterey, CA
    Former Employee - Clerk in Monterey, CA

I worked at Navy Exchange full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Steady income, no experience necessary for a first job, have some flexible hours

Cons

Advancement minimal. Management very unprofessional including district management

Advice to Management

Dress appropriately, treat all employees the same, no favoritism, learn to do your job

6. Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Great Lakes, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Great Lakes, IL

I worked at Navy Exchange part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I get Every other weekend off.

Cons

They have Low supervision skills.

7. Supervisor

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Navy Exchange full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, great people, great benefits.

Cons

Hard to get full time hours if new hire.

8. Ok place to work for

I worked at Navy Exchange part-time

Pros

Coworkers were great Plenty of breaks Get to meet military members and family from all over the country

Cons

Management sucked Not much opportunity for advancement Pay isn't that great unless you work in the back

Advice to Management

Management needs to learn to diffuse situations a little better. The way some situations were handled were wrong in my opinion.

Clerk

Current Employee - Clerk in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Clerk in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Navy Exchange full-time

Pros

Good health care plan Non-Management folks are really good people

Cons

General Manager reacts to criticism with retaliation toward employees and harasses staff she doesn't like to the point where they quit. This is a control and command management where it's more important that you are penalized for being three minutes late than that you are praised for working hard. Management screams at employees and vendors on the store floor in front of customers and other employees. Extreme favoritism is shown in hiring, particularly in supervisor and management positions. Those who are not promoted are not given the opportunity to see their scoring and to find out how they can improve. The result of all of this very poor management is a terribly toxic environment. A substantial portion of employees have left and those still there are desperately looking for other jobs.

Advice to Management

Corporate should listen to store employees and Do Something. This is a terrible place to work.

Hard to justify working here for the pay.

Pros

Offers premium pay for nights and sundays even if it is only cents on the dollar. Offers good benefits.

Cons

The pay is nowhere near good enough. Possible to be promoted twice and still not make $10 an hour.

11. Executive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Navy Exchange full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

What we do here everyday is for a good cause! The military families are under even more pressure and there is no sign of it getting any better. We deliver an important non-pay benefit - Goods and Services at a savings! Everything we do should have the military member and his/her family in mind.

Cons

Being part of the Government / Military (Navy), there are rules and instructions that a commercial business would not be subject to. This is largely a minor inconvenience and has its place. Lower salaries (Government) but better benefits, including a defined benefit pension plan, which is rare in retail.

RSS Feed </> Embed