Navy Federal Credit Union

Updated November 21, 2014
3.7

Navy Federal Credit Union President and CEO Cutler Dawson
Cutler Dawson

Pros
  • Opportunity to relocate to sunny Florida and great work life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Great Pay in comparison to similar banking situations; Great Benefits (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • The most frustrating thing is the lack of work/life balance that was promised (in 9 reviews)

• Work life balance is a promise not followed by upper management (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

36 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great learning experience with highly experienced professionals

Former Employee - Business Development Intern in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Business Development Intern in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

During my internship at Navy Federal i was highly impressed by their workplace culture. My boss and coworkers were always very helpful if i ever had questions for them, and I gained very useful knowledge and experience for the finance industry. I was given responsibility for tasks that my full time coworkers had instead of doing meaningless "intern" tasks which was highly impressive to me. Navy Federal will definitely be a place I consider applying after I finish college.

Cons

It was slightly stressful and had a heavy workload nut this was offset by the experience i gained.

The best employer I ever worked for!

Former Employee - Account Specialist IV in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Account Specialist IV in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Outstanding benefits, and promotions from within.

Cons

Call center environment can be stressful with having to stay on tract every second of the day at work. It needs to be a little more flexible to keep the employees happy.

Be a little more flexible with allowing time away from the work station for things such as faxing items. Also a longer lunch time along with the 2 breaks is needed. 30 minute lunch along with the 2 breaks is not enough. And combining one of the breaks to make the lunch time 45 minutes only leaves 1 break for the day. And that is not enough. the lunch time needs to be at least 45 minutes to an hour, along with 2 breaks for the day.

So far so good

Current Employee - Member Service Representative I in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative I in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay for the area, could be better considering the verbal abuse we take from the spoiled members.

Cons

Promotions are encouraged, training classes provided, but you have 400 people wanting to get off the phone and they all apply so competition is very competitive! Hard to get vacation time scheduled

Job are posted, but they already know so they want to promote

Customer service

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice pay with nice people. somewhere you can make a career and not just a job. I never wanna leave

Cons

None whatsoever. I'm still trying to figure it out

Only a great employer if you are a permanent employee. Do not go through the contracting company aerotek.

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and perks. If you get to work in one of the main locations like hq or pensacola, there is an on site bank, gym, and cafeteria.

Cons

Depending on the department they may have unrealistic expectations of your time. Mortgage is a nightmare. You'll spend more time preparing reports on your progress than actually contributing to your progress.

An employer that provides great opportunity for those willing to work hard

Current Employee - MORTGAGE PRODUCTION SPEC in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - MORTGAGE PRODUCTION SPEC in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of good quality co-workers, good work-life balance, excellent benefits, "profit sharing!", great work facilities. Navy federal provides to us lots of fun things to do while working. Also there are many different flex agile shift options for full time employees.

Cons

You will work hard no matter what and you will always be very busy. The parking situation can be very difficult at times.

Work on providing a less strict dress code for those who do not see members face to face. This would truly enhance our day to day lives while at work.

Internship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The experience was not What i expected it to be.

Cons

The company is great, but the supervisors in the department I interned in Sucked. They do not treat their intern like they are worthy, you are constantly forgotten about while overworking yourself for them, It was the worst internship I have ever done in my life. I would never again intern for this company.

They only care about themselves, and kissing up to the upper level chain to get notice.

Great pay and benefits

Former Employee - Member Service Representative I in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative I in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Training is great and employees are very friendly. Open 24 hours with different shifts and departments.

Cons

Some of supervisors are inconsiderate of single parents with kids and having to request a shift change and its too many things you have to say and do while on the phone assisting members and A&B offers have to be at 52% each month and this should be taken away. You get scored for everything you do or say.

Amazing company to work for!

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunities to be promoted and move into other job positions within the company, competitive pay, great benefits, clean and friendly work environment, good work-life balance, willingness of leadership to listen to their employees.

Cons

At times there can be overwhelming workloads (depending on what department you work in), unrealistic expectations placed on employees to complete too many tasks in very little time, displays of favoritism, too many training classes that run longer than they should, computer systems often have issues that slow employees down.

Great pay for the area but underpaid for the amount of work and stress

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, good pay, lots of growth and lots of training to keep one up to date with the job, gym, cafeteria.

Cons

Mandatory overtime, long days 14 hour days, lots of favoritism when it comes to getting promoted, not very flexible with hours and they don't put family first like they say.

Need to listen to your employees more and work with them so they can work with you in order to be happy and successful.

Navy Federal Credit Union Photos

Navy Federal Credit Union Fairfax, Virginia (Photo thanks to Flickr user mdmarkus66, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo