Navy Federal Credit Union Reviews

263 reviews filtered by
3.7
Navy Federal Credit Union President and CEO Cutler Dawson
Cutler Dawson

Pros
  • Opportunity to relocate to sunny Florida and great work life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Great Pay in comparison to similar banking situations; Great Benefits (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • The most frustrating thing is the lack of work/life balance that was promised (in 10 reviews)

• The upper management lacks humility and are almost elevated to a god like status (in 11 reviews)

1. Driven

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union

Pros

Ability to grow within the company
    Fast paced environment
    Great benefits package
    Helfpul leadership and supervisory team to foster productivity and development

Cons

Salary is below the industry standard
    No other cons, it's a great company with great opportunity for growth.

I would suggest a more competitive salary, in line with the rest of the industry. The benefits package is outstanding, but for the level of work, and the efficient nature of the department, a bump in salary would definitely help retain talent.

2. Great company to work for

Former Employee - Member Service Representative
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union

Pros

This is a great company all around. Navy Federal is very fair to its employees and I was proud to work for them. The benefits and compensation were excellent. I didn't work there long enough due to a move, but there were opportunities for advancement.

Cons

My only complaint is the management team members I worked for were not that spectacular. The branch manager in particular was too hard on the employees in a very unprofessional way and was quite rude to everyone. This was brought to human resources' attention by numerous employees and nothing was done.

To take employee complaints on upper management seriously. Obviously this is a great company to work for and if there are any complaints, they should be taken seriously.

3. Very positive management

Former Employee - Head Teller in Decatur, IL
    Former Employee - Head Teller in Decatur, IL

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very positive work atmosphere. The employees are happy and helpful and teach very well. The work is excellent and very rewarding.

Cons

Sometimes, people may enter that are not very kind. This can make working with a positive attitude very difficult.

5. Good company, but need to work more for the employees.

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Great benefits, willingness to help the employees (when available), options to move up to different areas (when available), different hours to accomodate different shifts.

Cons

Parking is an issue (hiring too much help at once); the help and options to help the employees aren't always available; not always accomodating for minor issues.

Would help to give a heads up on when people are getting hired to be prepared for parking issues; need to fix a little more on leneincy for bathroom/health issues.

6. A great company to work for, if you can navigate the politics and bureaucracy.

Former Contractor - IT Project Manager in Vienna, VA
    Former Contractor - IT Project Manager in Vienna, VA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

NFCU has a great group of people with all of the people, process, and technology you would expect to see in an organization of this size. Highly experienced, motivated, and resourceful individuals.

Cons

Rapid expansion has stressed the management framework, leading to suboptimal execution, communication and resource utilization. Roles and responsibilities are unnecessarily compartmentalized, stifling innovation and efficiency.

Organizational Change Management should be more visibly engaged in areas of technology and project management with an emphasis on adopting less compartmentalized project execution strategies. Mentor management in ways to identify and leverage cross domain skills and capabilities.

7. Be ready to learn

Current Employee - Msr
    Current Employee - Msr

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employee empowerment, great benefits, good pay.

Cons

General public can be difficult at times and you must remain calm. A lot is asked of
    Employees. The pay is good but you earn it.

Better entry level training

8. Stellar company and room for advancement!

Current Employee - Delinquency Control Counselor in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Delinquency Control Counselor in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The training program is excellent. I was warded with excellent trainers and also with a phenomenal supervisor. Very open environment with great growth opportunities. There's also a state of the art fitness center and an amazing cafeteria. It is unbelievable how supportive my supervisor is for personal growth and development. I don't feel restricted in any way. I also have wonderful colleagues! It truly is a blessing to work here. You won't be disappointed by choosing to work for this employer. For someone with no degree, this is a great entry position salary. Otherwise, be patient and you will eventually advance once you have proven your capabilities.

Cons

None. Just pay attention in training and work hard and smart.

Continue showing your support. I am honored to work with such great management! You make everyone feel like an individual, yet part of a team. You all are awesome!

9. Fantastic Place to work!!!

Former Employee - Business Operations Analyst II
    Former Employee - Business Operations Analyst II

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good life-work balance. I have met many people who worked there for 20-30 years. Probably it was the best employer I have worked so far. If I stayed in Vienna (now I live in another city) I would still work for Navy Federal. Employees are highly valued by Navy Federal. Perks: Campus in Vienna has a nice cafeteria, gym on site, nurse on site. If you go there you will understand what I am talking about.

Cons

Parking can be very competitive. Changes can take more time than you think it would take.

Be more dynamic in making and implementing decisions.

10. Good, Stable Company to Work For...

Current Employee - Documentation Specialist in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Documentation Specialist in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, Culture, Opportunities to Grow. Only at NCU can someone with a High School Degree become an Assistant Manager; I've learned a lot from the Training programs & how to be a great leader. The culture is warm and everyone wants you to grow.

Cons

Experience truimphs common sense; Full of complacent "lifers"

11. Best company to work for

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union

Pros

Very dynamic company which high growth for technology folks

Cons

Processes are still evolving so lots of mis management

Navy Federal Credit Union Photos

Navy Federal Credit Union Fairfax, Virginia (Photo thanks to Flickr user mdmarkus66, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo