Navy Federal Credit Union

Updated November 23, 2014
3.7

Navy Federal Credit Union President and CEO Cutler Dawson
Cutler Dawson

Pros
  • Opportunity to relocate to sunny Florida and great work life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Great Pay in comparison to similar banking situations; Great Benefits (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • The most frustrating thing is the lack of work/life balance that was promised (in 9 reviews)

• Work life balance is a promise not followed by upper management (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great learning experience with highly experienced professionals

Former Employee - Business Development Intern in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Business Development Intern in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

During my internship at Navy Federal i was highly impressed by their workplace culture. My boss and coworkers were always very helpful if i ever had questions for them, and I gained very useful knowledge and experience for the finance industry. I was given responsibility for tasks that my full time coworkers had instead of doing meaningless "intern" tasks which was highly impressive to me. Navy Federal will definitely be a place I consider applying after I finish college.

Cons

It was slightly stressful and had a heavy workload nut this was offset by the experience i gained.

Great!

Current Employee - Staff Assistant in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Staff Assistant in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Gym on site, flexibility, friendly atmosphere

Cons

Hard to move up and around unless you are great at networking

Outstanding company that gives the best training and customer service to it's members.

Former Employee - LAN Processor/Loan Officer in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - LAN Processor/Loan Officer in Vienna, VA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Growth opportunities in every sector of the organization. Great environment at HQ

Cons

Parking at HQ could be a challenge. Salaries could be better

Keep up the good work.

Great place with great people.

Former Employee - Intern in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Intern in Vienna, VA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good Pay. The employees there are hard working and friendly. I always got along with them. The headquarter in Vienna is big professional.

Cons

People do play favoritism to an extent. Some interns will be lazy and do the minimum while trying to get away with things they shouldn't.

Navy Federal is a rapidly growing company with abundant growth opportunities

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has ridiculously good benefits, great bonus program (PIP), and is very committed to providing training and education opportunities for growing talent from within. The company truly walks the talk. Every decision is made for the benefit of the members (customers)

Cons

With growth, comes challenges. Leadership struggles with appropriateness of bureaucratic controls to handle decentralized decisioning. Many of the tenured senior executives have experience, but can frustrate new hires due to lack of breadth of experience or formal education/qualifications.

Awesome company to work for!

Former Employee - Member Service Representative II in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative II in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Branch management was great. The people are easy to work with and management is very understanding.

Cons

time-off policies. relocating to another area that does not have a NFCU is tough as transferring would not be an option.

automatically grant 2 weeks vacation and able to accrue more.

The best employer I ever worked for!

Former Employee - Account Specialist IV in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Account Specialist IV in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Outstanding benefits, and promotions from within.

Cons

Call center environment can be stressful with having to stay on tract every second of the day at work. It needs to be a little more flexible to keep the employees happy.

Be a little more flexible with allowing time away from the work station for things such as faxing items. Also a longer lunch time along with the 2 breaks is needed. 30 minute lunch along with the 2 breaks is not enough. And combining one of the breaks to make the lunch time 45 minutes only leaves 1 break for the day. And that is not enough. the lunch time needs to be at least 45 minutes to an hour, along with 2 breaks for the day.

A bright candy red apple from the wicked witch to Snow White

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Benefits are great . Sick and vacation time, pension after 2 years, matching 401 k, continuing education programs and classes, decent salary. If you can get in with the right people in the beginning you will be fine

Cons

If you are not part of popular crowd good luck with advancement, rules vary from person to person, good luck getting a day of without a sneer from management , sick time is considered unexcused absence, management doesn't lead by example but out of fear...expect no individuality your own conscious thinking is not welcome although they day it is. All the cons everyone has said are true!

Need more effective communication skills, try to promote people who actually like what they do and not for the title, and not because you go out drinking with them after work!

I enjoy the job because it's always something new, always training & learning.

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Great Lakes, IL
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Great Lakes, IL

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sometimes you are on cash, sometimes at greeter, sometimes on platform, therefore you never get "bored". Great hours. No nights. Off at 2pm on Sat. Manager is great about giving you time off requested & paid vacations. The hourly pay is decent compared to other financial institutions.

Cons

The district manager & branch manager at this particular location do not give fair opportunity to move up & grow within the company. They gossip about employees. Treat some better then others.. Very "caddy" which makes for a miserable environment to work in. It me of high school girls.

Very traditional environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome benefits and perks to working at HQ

Cons

Very antiquated in its thinking and approach to work life balance. Very top-down management style. No real autonomy.

Trust your people to be professionals!

Navy Federal Credit Union Photos

Navy Federal Credit Union Fairfax, Virginia (Photo thanks to Flickr user mdmarkus66, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo