Navy Federal Credit Union

Updated September 22, 2014
3.9

Navy Federal Credit Union President and CEO Cutler Dawson
Cutler Dawson

Pros
  • Great Pay in comparison to similar banking situations; Great Benefits (in 27 reviews)

• Opportunity to relocate to sunny Florida and great work life balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The most frustrating thing is the lack of work/life balance that was promised (in 6 reviews)

• Extremely competitive and difficult to move up; Almost always have to start as Part time (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

An employer that provides great opportunity for those willing to work hard

Current Employee - MORTGAGE PRODUCTION SPEC  in  Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - MORTGAGE PRODUCTION SPEC in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of good quality co-workers, good work-life balance, excellent benefits, "profit sharing!", great work facilities. Navy federal provides to us lots of fun things to do while working. Also there are many different flex agile shift options for full time employees.

Cons

You will work hard no matter what and you will always be very busy. The parking situation can be very difficult at times.

Work on providing a less strict dress code for those who do not see members face to face. This would truly enhance our day to day lives while at work.

Only a great employer if you are a permanent employee. Do not go through the contracting company aerotek.

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor  in  Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits and perks. If you get to work in one of the main locations like hq or pensacola, there is an on site bank, gym, and cafeteria.

Cons

Depending on the department they may have unrealistic expectations of your time. Mortgage is a nightmare. You'll spend more time preparing reports on your progress than actually contributing to your progress.

An overall great place to work.

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union

Pros

Competitive pay, bonuses, and great facilities.

Cons

Health benefits are great but high cost up front. Also, the credit union is top heavy from the man agent perspective.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Summer Intern at NFCU

Former Employee - Summer Intern  in  Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Vienna, VA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Stable work environment with very friendly and supportive coworkers. Coworkers became my friends and mentors during the limited time I spent for two summers and a winter break interning at NFCU. There was free access to the gym, classes, a great cafeteria, and very relaxed work environment overall.

Cons

Although I was happy my internship was paid as I hear of so few internships being paid ones, I do wish that I could have received a raise when I returned for another summer. Additionally, sometimes working with upper management could be very challenging, and even as an intern I sometimes witnessed work drama.

Management was challenging to deal with at times due to inflexibility of goals, lack of interest in working effectively with the team, and with wavering decision-making. If management improved the leadership skills of effectively putting forth long term goals, sticking with decisions, and team-working skills, then management could be much better improved.

Navy Federal is pretty good.

Current Employee - Member Service Representative III
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative III

Pros

Great pay and mostly all great people to work with.

Cons

Some demanding customers but that is to be expected in a call center environment anyways.

Good credit union to be a member of but horrible employer.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Puyallup, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Puyallup, WA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union

Pros

Benefits and that's about it.

Cons

Very low work-life balance, although the company promotes growth and development, seems differently with the branch or region even, instead of being coached you are constantly being told what you are doing wrong, micro-managing branch manager and low morale within the team. Branch manager fails to acknowledge the reality and does nothing to fix it.

Dress code could be current instead of from the 70s, when you hear of complaints and issues stop sweeping them under the rug and acknowledge the underlying issue by creating an action plan. The branch morale will always be low and continue to have a high turnover as long as the branch manager doesn't change and accept her faults.

Great place to start your career with

Current Employee - Member Service Representative II
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative II

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get sick leave and personal leave which is a plus. They work around school schedules. Team outings are always fun. You move up ranks quickly. You are not pressured to meet goals, everyone does it together as a team.

Cons

Rules are changing every other day. Management tells you to do one thing one way and the next day totally different. That is really the only downside.

looks after employees

Former Employee - Assistant Supervisor  in  Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Supervisor in Vienna, VA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Navy Federal Has a high number of Holidays, Sick day considerations. And works with the employee to look after their family responsibilities I worked four 10 hour days with three days off every week.

Cons

This is a very diverse population of employees. Promotion from within and a program called Partners in Performance. The Board meets and sets goals to be meet by the company and the employee and the company join as Partners to meet the Goals. A very generous bonus is the result of meeting and exceeding the objectives.

Continue to listen to your partners and grow to exceed the previous years effort.

Internship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The experience was not What i expected it to be.

Cons

The company is great, but the supervisors in the department I interned in Sucked. They do not treat their intern like they are worthy, you are constantly forgotten about while overworking yourself for them, It was the worst internship I have ever done in my life. I would never again intern for this company.

They only care about themselves, and kissing up to the upper level chain to get notice.

Outstanding company!

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union

Pros

Best culture to work in. Excellent benefits, rewards, training and development, and career opportunities.

Cons

There are none I can think of!

Worked for Navy Federal Credit Union? Contribute to the Community!