Navy Federal Credit Union Reviews

Reset
3.7
Navy Federal Credit Union President and CEO Cutler Dawson
Cutler Dawson

Pros
  • Great culture and great work life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Navy Federal offers GREAT benefits and compensation (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management out of touch with their branches (in 11 reviews)

1. MSR

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union

Pros

Great company to work for. Excellent training. Amazing Benefits.

Cons

Micromanaging within the branch was horrible.

Great Company

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Love the company, great management, great team, great overall environment

Cons

Hard to think of cons. Maybe lack of flexibility in terms of directions of projects.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Great Company

Current Employee - Member Service Representative II in Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative II in Trenton, NJ

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401k match even though USAA matches 1 point higher than us, benefits, perks,

Cons

Even if you work your butt off and go above and beyond they will promote people who less deserve it. There has been times they have dangled promotions in my face and told me I would get it if I did certain things.

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees. Stop playing favoritism, it is not fair to the ones who have worked so hard and true to the company.

5. Member Service Representative

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Leesville, LA
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Leesville, LA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, room to advance. Plenty of places to transfer.

Cons

Work till 6pm most nights.

6. Member service representative

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union part-time

Pros

Nice company to work for. They educate and update you constantly. Had a great time working there. They offer 401K

Cons

Pay could be a little higher but then again, they are a non-profit business so I understand.

Advice to Management

Continue to be good to your employees so they will work hard and they will love coming to work.

7. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement; progressive company culture; modern design of buildings; engaged leadership; openness to new ideas. Health insurance and 401(K) are very very good benefits--the envy of the community, really.

Cons

Rapid growth is both a pro and a con: Space is at a premium both in the parking lots, and inside buildings. Due to the nature of business, computer security needs complicate opportunities to work from home. On a related note: Buildings are wired for Wi-Fi, but no employee access to the network, and no bring-your-own-device policy.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Sometimes it seems that our organization is one of the best kept secrets. I sometimes feel bad for people who don't work here!

8. depend

Current Employee - Delinquency Counselor in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Delinquency Counselor in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

bonus and great co worker. great 401k and other benefit great cafe and event that get set up also come with discount for employed

Cons

parking and traffic high expectations from the upper management they do fired people's even if they said they don't but they do

9. Great Place To Work!

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst II in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst II in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best company I've ever worked for. If you do your job and are eager to learn, you will excel.

Cons

I only wish that I had started working at Navy Federal much sooner than I did. I had no clue that it was a great a place to work as it is.

Advice to Management

None.

10. Member Service Representative

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, NC

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union

Pros

NFCU has wonderful 401k program and consistent generous annual bonus and Christmas monetary gift.

Cons

Working hours as late as 7:30 weekday evenings.

11. Terrible mid to low managment

Former Employee - Inside Sales Department in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Department in Vienna, VA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are pretty much the only good thing about Navy Federal if you have a terrible manager. My teammates where great and easy to work with. If you're at the point in your career where you want to settle down and have no intentions to grow this is a great place. The yearly bonus is great. Many people stay only because that bonus. Its the happiest month when its Partners In Performance (PIP) month. It will also be a great place if you love politics and red tape to get anything done. If you think you will be a successful character in the Game of Thrones this place will be the fast track to Sr Management. Company is very stable and your job is secure. It takes a act of congress to fire anyone. 90% of the work is done by 10% of the people that work here. Great place if you can be apart of the 90% that does 10% of the work. There is a great gym that you can workout during your work hours. The cafeteria also is a great place to spend most of your work hours. If you can't find your managers they probably are taking their 4th break down there. If you're not feeling well just go down and see the nurse. Life is good.

Cons

Navy Federal loves to put out fires rather then prevent them all together. There are more band aids and duct tape then getting things right the first place. There are racist managers and HR knows about them but won't do anything. Case of sexual assault but who cares when you have all that member money you can just pay the employee off. Nothing get done because the mid to low managers have huge egos. They don't trust anyone to do what the company pays them to do. If you don't drink the Kool Aid management will find a way to make your life miserable. HR is not your friend. They are only there to protect the company and its image. God forbid you use your brain and think for yourself. No such thing as innovation because people like the lazy pace. Managers will get scared you are out for their jobs if you start being creative about making the company better. Navy Federal treats its employees like numbers and that's it. There are so many talent people here but egos get in the way of success. Managers in my group fought with other business units hence another reason nothing got done. If you want something done tell your manager the opposite of what you think should be done. Managers love taking credit for ideas so they will put their own spin to your idea and take the credit. When crap hits the floor it wasn't their spin that caused the issues. Some groups promote job security by not sharing information to other teams. They know someone else on other team can do their job better. ITIL training is something the company is promoting its employees get. Unfortunately ITIL is not something they want you to have NOT for the sake of the direction of the company. It opposes what ITIL is saying a company should do. Managers expect employees to get certifications not for their career growth but to say to others they have someone with that cert. Come early to work because there is never any parking too. If you have a micro manger you will get your yearly bonus taken away. Obstacle are always put in front of you because management loves to see you fail. They ask you to build a bridge with toothpicks. I could keep going on but whats the point right...

Advice to Management

Hire folks that aren't scared of innovation and someone taking their job. Someone that believes in the team. Sees people as Gods fearfully and wonderfully made individual and not a billet number. HR needs to be an advocate for the employee and not be another marketing group.

RSS Feed </> Embed