Navy Federal Credit Union

Updated October 15, 2014
3.8

Navy Federal Credit Union President and CEO Cutler Dawson
Cutler Dawson

Pros
  • Opportunity to relocate to sunny Florida and great work life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Great Pay in comparison to similar banking situations; Great Benefits (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • The most frustrating thing is the lack of work/life balance that was promised (in 9 reviews)

• I think that the upper management are out of touch with technology (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

The perfect blend of Perfect and Nightmare

Former Employee - Member Service Representative I in Winchester, VA
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative I in Winchester, VA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (less than an year)

Pros

All of the employees were a family. Everyone was eager to help one another with work, as well as personal issues affecting work productivity. Very accommodating and understanding. The benefits were amazing.

Cons

The call center felt more like a financial sweat shop. There wasn't enough time to catch your breath before the phone rang again...for 8 hours. Some love the constant pace. Others (as myself) lose their minds. It wasn't for me. I do not think any less of the company. Navy Federal will always hold a special place in my heart.

Solid phone calls for 8 hours can break someone down quickly. Mixing in some non-phone work for some of the hours to break up the constant ringing would lower the employee stress immensely.

Customer service

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice pay with nice people. somewhere you can make a career and not just a job. I never wanna leave

Cons

None whatsoever. I'm still trying to figure it out

Family like team

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union part-time

Pros

Good hours, personal growth, great members

Cons

Old computer system, long transaction process

Management was a joke

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learned a lot of new material, good pay, room for growth

Cons

Too big of a company, hard to find a certain department or even know where to start, management was too on top of everyone, felt like I was in kindergarden.

Mortgage Default Specialist II

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union

Pros

Other than job security can't think of anything else.

Cons

Little room for growth, too much red tape

Compensate/designation should be based on education and experience and not just on number of years of service and who you know.

Work life balance a promise that is seldom kept......

Current Employee - Business Process Analyst in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Business Process Analyst in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The headquarters is well equipped with a decent Health club, cafeteria,massage program, walk path around the campus. Employees reap the benefits of good health. The CEO also promotes good health and awareness via the CEO's challenge. At a high level everything is peachy.
    Employee benefits are as good but not better than similar companies out there. Health care, 401k Match etc. They have extensive training and career support for various areas of the business. Employees are truly what makes the company while Management takes the credit.

Cons

Work life balance is a promise not followed by upper management. They are constantly nickel and diming employee's time almost negating any morale people might have, created with the perceived wonderful benefits provided by the company. People with families or temporary medical issues are forced to follow norm imposed by Managers. There is lot of favoritism here, only managers and their family members "connected" are on the gravy train with upper management even if they lack people skills. Morale is seriously low. Bad managers are rewarded, they constantly hire managers who are clock watchers and finger pointers...under the guise of work optimization and performance. Especially when nothing is really broken.
    Career opportunities, there is remote potential to move between departments unless you "know" someone, internal postings are a sham, as candidates have already been selected. Good luck obtaining reference from a manager you cannot work with....you are out of luck!

If you promise flexibility and pitch yourself as the Best Companies to work for ...play the role and fulfill the promise. Don't promote or empower managers who stalk and bully their subordinates.....how is that considered a value added to the Member .Member focus and performance optimization can't be an excuse to make employee lives stressful. The company has talent but the morale seems to be diminished due to undue bullying and control from the management. Company needs to understand that all departments aren't directly connected on a day to day basis with Members so Call Center type managers need not apply same logic all over the company and try to have undue control on Employees personal lives.The Work Life balance group in the company recommend you look for another job if your Boss is a jerk, even if performance is not the issue. Is this an attribute of a company that is supposedly "Best Companies to work for"?
    Pay more attention to employees they are Members too!

Good credit union to be a member of but horrible employer.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Puyallup, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Puyallup, WA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union

Pros

Benefits and that's about it.

Cons

Very low work-life balance, although the company promotes growth and development, seems differently with the branch or region even, instead of being coached you are constantly being told what you are doing wrong, micro-managing branch manager and low morale within the team. Branch manager fails to acknowledge the reality and does nothing to fix it.

Dress code could be current instead of from the 70s, when you hear of complaints and issues stop sweeping them under the rug and acknowledge the underlying issue by creating an action plan. The branch morale will always be low and continue to have a high turnover as long as the branch manager doesn't change and accept her faults.

It was ok.

Former Employee - Credit Research Tech in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Credit Research Tech in Vienna, VA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I made good friends, took good classes, increased my knowledge of the computer.

Cons

Supervisors picked favorites, if you are not one, you will not excel in that section.

Educate the managers on how to manage.

Only a great employer if you are a permanent employee. Do not go through the contracting company aerotek.

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and perks. If you get to work in one of the main locations like hq or pensacola, there is an on site bank, gym, and cafeteria.

Cons

Depending on the department they may have unrealistic expectations of your time. Mortgage is a nightmare. You'll spend more time preparing reports on your progress than actually contributing to your progress.

An employer that provides great opportunity for those willing to work hard

Current Employee - MORTGAGE PRODUCTION SPEC in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - MORTGAGE PRODUCTION SPEC in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of good quality co-workers, good work-life balance, excellent benefits, "profit sharing!", great work facilities. Navy federal provides to us lots of fun things to do while working. Also there are many different flex agile shift options for full time employees.

Cons

You will work hard no matter what and you will always be very busy. The parking situation can be very difficult at times.

Work on providing a less strict dress code for those who do not see members face to face. This would truly enhance our day to day lives while at work.

Navy Federal Credit Union Photos

Navy Federal Credit Union Fairfax, Virginia (Photo thanks to Flickr user mdmarkus66, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo