Navy Federal Credit Union

Updated December 17, 2014
3.7

Navy Federal Credit Union President and CEO Cutler Dawson
Cutler Dawson

Pros
  • Opportunity to relocate to sunny Florida and great work life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Great Pay in comparison to similar banking situations; Great Benefits (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • The most frustrating thing is the lack of work/life balance that was promised (in 10 reviews)

• The upper management lacks humility and are almost elevated to a god like status (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union

Pros

The benefits and The Benefits

Cons

I would like to work different Hours

None

Great learning experience with highly experienced professionals

Former Employee - Business Development Intern in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Business Development Intern in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

During my internship at Navy Federal i was highly impressed by their workplace culture. My boss and coworkers were always very helpful if i ever had questions for them, and I gained very useful knowledge and experience for the finance industry. I was given responsibility for tasks that my full time coworkers had instead of doing meaningless "intern" tasks which was highly impressive to me. Navy Federal will definitely be a place I consider applying after I finish college.

Cons

It was slightly stressful and had a heavy workload nut this was offset by the experience i gained.

Great place with great people.

Former Employee - Intern in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Intern in Vienna, VA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good Pay. The employees there are hard working and friendly. I always got along with them. The headquarter in Vienna is big professional.

Cons

People do play favoritism to an extent. Some interns will be lazy and do the minimum while trying to get away with things they shouldn't.

Outstanding company that gives the best training and customer service to it's members.

Former Employee - LAN Processor/Loan Officer in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - LAN Processor/Loan Officer in Vienna, VA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Growth opportunities in every sector of the organization. Great environment at HQ

Cons

Parking at HQ could be a challenge. Salaries could be better

Keep up the good work.

Navy Federal is a rapidly growing company with abundant growth opportunities

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has ridiculously good benefits, great bonus program (PIP), and is very committed to providing training and education opportunities for growing talent from within. The company truly walks the talk. Every decision is made for the benefit of the members (customers)

Cons

With growth, comes challenges. Leadership struggles with appropriateness of bureaucratic controls to handle decentralized decisioning. Many of the tenured senior executives have experience, but can frustrate new hires due to lack of breadth of experience or formal education/qualifications.

The best employer I ever worked for!

Former Employee - Account Specialist IV in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Account Specialist IV in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Outstanding benefits, and promotions from within.

Cons

Call center environment can be stressful with having to stay on tract every second of the day at work. It needs to be a little more flexible to keep the employees happy.

Be a little more flexible with allowing time away from the work station for things such as faxing items. Also a longer lunch time along with the 2 breaks is needed. 30 minute lunch along with the 2 breaks is not enough. And combining one of the breaks to make the lunch time 45 minutes only leaves 1 break for the day. And that is not enough. the lunch time needs to be at least 45 minutes to an hour, along with 2 breaks for the day.

An employer that provides great opportunity for those willing to work hard

Current Employee - MORTGAGE PRODUCTION SPEC in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - MORTGAGE PRODUCTION SPEC in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of good quality co-workers, good work-life balance, excellent benefits, "profit sharing!", great work facilities. Navy federal provides to us lots of fun things to do while working. Also there are many different flex agile shift options for full time employees.

Cons

You will work hard no matter what and you will always be very busy. The parking situation can be very difficult at times.

Work on providing a less strict dress code for those who do not see members face to face. This would truly enhance our day to day lives while at work.

An overall great place to work.

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union

Pros

Competitive pay, bonuses, and great facilities.

Cons

Health benefits are great but high cost up front. Also, the credit union is top heavy from the man agent perspective.

Navy Federal is pretty good.

Current Employee - Member Service Representative III
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative III

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay and mostly all great people to work with.

Cons

Some demanding customers but that is to be expected in a call center environment anyways.

Great place to start your career with

Current Employee - Member Service Representative II
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative II

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get sick leave and personal leave which is a plus. They work around school schedules. Team outings are always fun. You move up ranks quickly. You are not pressured to meet goals, everyone does it together as a team.

Cons

Rules are changing every other day. Management tells you to do one thing one way and the next day totally different. That is really the only downside.

Navy Federal Credit Union Photos

Navy Federal Credit Union Fairfax, Virginia (Photo thanks to Flickr user mdmarkus66, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo