Navy Federal Credit Union

www.navyfcu.org

Navy Federal Credit Union Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014
Navy Federal Credit Union – Vienna – “Navy Federal Credit Union Fairfax, Virginia…”

Navy Federal Credit Union President and CEO Cutler Dawson

Cutler Dawson

Pros
  • Great Pay in comparison to similar banking situations; Great Benefits (in 27 reviews)

• Opportunity to relocate to sunny Florida and great work life balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The most frustrating thing is the lack of work/life balance that was promised (in 6 reviews)

• Extremely competitive and difficult to move up; Almost always have to start as Part time (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work

ProsGreat pay, great hours, great people.

ConsThere are not any cons of working here.

Great company to work for and very rewarding knowing you serve an incredible membership.

ProsGreat opportunities to better your career when working at HQ and other major offices. Opportunities are restricted at field offices and branches due to available positions.

ConsField office locations have limited positions and opportunities. Pay is middle of the road. Lower when comparing salaries of other banks and similar positions. More remote opportunities need to made available.

Be careful about policy and who you consider "friends"

Electronic Service Specialist (Former Employee) Winchester, VA

ProsNavy Federal offers GREAT benefits and compensation. You start off with a decent salary for the area and are guaranteed a cost of living raise every year on top of any raises or promotions you earned. The health insurance benefits are incomparable. They even offer tuition assistance, discounts with numerous companies including car rentals. There is plenty of room to move up and get promoted and you're eligible at the 6 month mark. The training program is fantastic. I did not feel like I was unprepared when I went on the phones. If you have a good supervisor they will work with you to get your stats where they need to be in order to get promoted. You have weekly meetings to keep everyone on the same page and monthly one-on-one meetings with your supervisor to go over how you're doing.

ConsThe push to be promoted makes everyone a little cut throat. It's hard to tell who your friends are and who's just trying to get on your good side so they can sabotage you. They promote being tattle tales and ratting out your co-workers to management, which many do in an effort to put themselves in a good light. Management is not consistent and neither are punishments for rule breaking. The company has taken it's focus off member service and are spending more time focusing on how to get more members, even if that means stressed out employees. The board of directors made bad decisions on the redesign of the website, launching it before it was ready, migrating users before major problems were solved, and not hiring anyone extra for Electronic Services though the call volume increased by at least 300%. Instead they recruited employees from other depts to pick up SOME skills to help with volume which led to more transfers higher wait times in other dept. The most frustrating thing is the lack of work/life balance that was promised. They are always needing people to work overtime. They are always needing people to work holidays. It's almost impossible to get time off, even for doctor's appt. I hadn't taken a vacation in over a year and worked every holiday AND overtime, but still got denied for the 4 days off I asked for 3 months ahead of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent. Return to working for the employee and the member instead of trying to get as many members as possible. It's putting too much stress on already overworked employees and it's doing nothing for your member service.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

NFCU is a huge, rule-driven sweatshop.

Msr (Former Employee) Winchester, VA

ProsPay is decent, especially with bonuses, o/t, shift differential.

ConsNearly everything. Rules take priority over everything, including performance. Supervisors don't support team members, are stuck with bean-counting chores that wouldn't let them help team members if they wanted to. Procedures change daily. Computers and headsets not sufficiently up to date to do the work properly.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend money on what makes the work flow more smoothly. Stop with so many rules. Be supportive, not just cheerleaders for phony purposes. Stop membership drives until there are enough employees and new members can be properly taken care of.

Terrible experience and no support from management

Member Services Representative (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits even for part time employees.

ConsWorking weekends, longer hours, unhealthy competitive practices encouraged by leadership, poor leadership, time-off policies, more like a bank than a credit union as there is a pushy "sales" vibe that is encouraged towards the membership.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly promote within when the management prospect has the skills and knowledge, not length of service.

Poor management can ruin a great company

Mortgage Loan Processor (Current Employee) Pensacola, FL

ProsNavy Federal does offer great perks & benefits to its employees. It also pays better than most other places in the area. A lot of great co-workers.

ConsWhere do I start?? Poor poor management especially in the Mortgage department. Their motto is just "get it done" & could care less what the employees or members go through to get it done. It is definitely all about the numbers. Very bad micromanaging. Make you feel like a child being constantly monitored even though we consistently break records from previous years. If we get praise, it's immediately followed by "but now we need this". Employees feel very unappreciated & morale is LOW. Promotions are more of a popularity contest than based on skill & ability to manage. We don't get paid enough for what we go through everyday.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up! The employees aren't happy. We're all adults & should not be micro managed like children. Especially when we've always proven that we can get the job done without such management. Walk in our shoes & see what we go through on a daily basis. You are ruining a good company with such unrealistic expectations. It has been said " This is how we want it done in management's perfect world"...we live in reality. Maybe if you come back to it, you'll see how ridiculous that sounds.

Very Strange Place, With Poor Communication, Culture is not right for independent self starters

Analyst (Former Employee) Vienna, VA

ProsBenefits are really good.
    Flexibility with scheduling is good
    Stable company don't need to worry about layoffs
    Bonuses are good

ConsThere are a lot of Cons:
    VPS and Senior Managers are constantly micromanaging Assistant Managers and Supervisors
    Autonomy does not exist, you cannot make any decision without six layers of management and vice presidents approving your every move including who you are allowed to talk to in upper management
    Nepotism and Favoritism are rampant. Many family members work her they taught that as a good thing it’s not a good thing. People who work for senior managers have personally relationships with them and get special treatment and are not under the same rules as everyone else
    There is a lot of unfairness: some people are allowed to work shortened schedules, others are given special privileges.
    There is a lot of secrecy and severe lack of transparency.
    There are quite a few people just collecting paychecks. These people just spend the entire day gossiping and hanging out and causing problems for other people.
    If you want a career, you are able to work independently, really excel and your work and work really hard ….Navy Federal is NOT the place to come to work.
    If you are dead weight, like to kiss managements behind, are a paycheck collector that spends all day gossiping…Navy Federal is the place to work.
    This company values personal relationship and a yes sir mentality if you do not fall into this backward culture you will not be happy here.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix your culture
    Get rid of people who do absolutely nothing all day but gossip and collect a paycheck
    Your bonuses should be based on performance standards on the actually work you do not the personal and private relaionships you have with managers and VPS
    Stop the favoritism
    If you have an open honest culture of transparency than your employees would not resort to constantly gossiping

Falls well short of expectations.

Analyst (Former Employee) Vienna, VA

ProsGood 401k, healthcare. Executives seem to care. Great on site gym considering it's free. Good hours that aren't pushed past 40 hours too much.

ConsPoor pay for the cost of living. Little promotion unless someone dies, retires, or quits. Executives can't convert caring feelings into actions. Management is the worst I have seen. Horrible workers will never be fired after they make it past 120 days.

Not what it's cracked up to be!!!

Member Service Representative (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsGood pay. I do not know about any of the other benefits because I do not utilize those.

ConsHorrible work-life balance. You are expected to devote every second of your life to the company. Even if you come in when your supposed to, provide excellent member service, and never call out you are expected to never to ask for time for yourself. Meaning if you have accrued time off and you ask to use it management looks at you and questions your devotion to the company. Excuse me if I have a life and I want to enjoy it. So long as I do what is expected of me and I make my weekly hours then I do not understand what the problem is.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the reason why workers have quit, it is not a coincidence. Try to work on lack of connection between team leads and member representatives.

Great benefits, very political

ProsBenefits, facilities, challenging, employee perks and discounts,

ConsOld school leadership, people are terrified of being fired, few people willing to take responsibility for their actions, pay isn't great, excessive workload for the pay, very politically driven

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn your employees' personalities. Not every employee should be managed in the same manner.

Worked for Navy Federal Credit Union? Contribute to the Community!