Navy Federal Credit Union

Updated September 3, 2014
3.8

Navy Federal Credit Union President and CEO Cutler Dawson
Cutler Dawson

Pros
  • Great Pay in comparison to similar banking situations; Great Benefits (in 27 reviews)

• Opportunity to relocate to sunny Florida and great work life balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The most frustrating thing is the lack of work/life balance that was promised (in 6 reviews)

• Extremely competitive and difficult to move up; Almost always have to start as Part time (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

61 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Summer Intern at NFCU

Former Employee - Summer Intern  in  Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Vienna, VA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Stable work environment with very friendly and supportive coworkers. Coworkers became my friends and mentors during the limited time I spent for two summers and a winter break interning at NFCU. There was free access to the gym, classes, a great cafeteria, and very relaxed work environment overall.

Cons

Although I was happy my internship was paid as I hear of so few internships being paid ones, I do wish that I could have received a raise when I returned for another summer. Additionally, sometimes working with upper management could be very challenging, and even as an intern I sometimes witnessed work drama.

Management was challenging to deal with at times due to inflexibility of goals, lack of interest in working effectively with the team, and with wavering decision-making. If management improved the leadership skills of effectively putting forth long term goals, sticking with decisions, and team-working skills, then management could be much better improved.

looks after employees

Former Employee - Assistant Supervisor  in  Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Supervisor in Vienna, VA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Navy Federal Has a high number of Holidays, Sick day considerations. And works with the employee to look after their family responsibilities I worked four 10 hour days with three days off every week.

Cons

This is a very diverse population of employees. Promotion from within and a program called Partners in Performance. The Board meets and sets goals to be meet by the company and the employee and the company join as Partners to meet the Goals. A very generous bonus is the result of meeting and exceeding the objectives.

Continue to listen to your partners and grow to exceed the previous years effort.

Great Company

Current Employee - Intern  in  Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Intern in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great culture and great work life balance. Highly recommended for personal growth, training and company values. Good place to do an internship.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Administrative Services  in  Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Administrative Services in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I work at HQ so my review is for this location only: Great Benefits, job stability, fare compensation, always looking for ways to improve employee environment (free massage chairs, ergonomic work tools, on location health center and large gym w/ locker room and towel service, discounted 15 min seated and table massge!) beautiful campus w/ walking trail, full service cafeteria w/ Starbucks espresso bar. Employee culture and community is a big focus of Navy Federal.

Cons

Parking can be diffucult at times but plans are in the works to make improvements. Middle managment tends to be underwhelming. Managers need more training and guidance to help thier employees shine and grow.

Navy federal great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

Navy federal offers training and skill building classes to improve growth an the value you bring to the company. Navy federal is aligning itself with the framework to become and continue to grow its technology department.

Cons

They have to continue to build to accommodate it's employees and growth.

Best place to learn and remain intellectually stimulated, however, zero work life balance...

Current Employee - Business Operations Analyst II  in  Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Business Operations Analyst II in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pretty descent benefits when compared to employers in the Washington Metro area,, the company is financially strong and zero worry about layoffs, presents a challenging work environment and a variety of projects to work on to keep you stimulated, immediate management is supportive for the most part.

Cons

Unrealistic deadlines frequently for no rhyme or reason, which makes it stressful at times when trying to juggle work and personal life (zero work life balance), zero flexibility when it comes to alternate working hours, quite competitive and can be a bit challenging trying to get a promotion, promotions are often handed to those who brown nose more, lack of communication from upper management and very bureaucratic, decisions are often made very arbitrarily.

Great credit union to learn and grow career skills.

Current Employee - SCRA Specialist  in  Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - SCRA Specialist in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation and bonuses are great.
    At headquarters, there are many people to network with and learn from.
    The cafeteria and gym services are great.

Cons

There is a bit of politics that go on in regards to management positions.
    Parking is horrible after 9 in the morning

If advise management to take steps in following through on the claim that their dots are always open. As of now, most do not believe it.

Intern

Current Employee - Inside Sales Department Intern  in  Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Department Intern in Vienna, VA

Pros

One of the best places i've ever worked at. The employees take pride in where they work and are always energetic and in the best mood possible. Everyone was very friendly to me and always willing to help when I first got hired. Since I am interning the regular employees are always looking to help me out anyway they can.

Cons

The only con I can truly think of right now is the commute. Other than the commute everything else is wonderful.

ISD Intern

Former Employee - Inside Sales Department Intern  in  Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Department Intern in Vienna, VA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

great work life balance
    lovely corporate culture
    wonderful location
    managers and Vice Presidents are extremely welcoming
    work is fun

Cons

not a diverse (ethnicity)
    traffic to the headquarters can be dreadful
    the building is extremely old
    does not have a global presence
    limited in services

Very Strange Place, With Poor Communication, Culture is not right for independent self starters

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Vienna, VA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are really good.
    Flexibility with scheduling is good
    Stable company don't need to worry about layoffs
    Bonuses are good

Cons

There are a lot of Cons:
    VPS and Senior Managers are constantly micromanaging Assistant Managers and Supervisors
    Autonomy does not exist, you cannot make any decision without six layers of management and vice presidents approving your every move including who you are allowed to talk to in upper management
    Nepotism and Favoritism are rampant. Many family members work her they taught that as a good thing it’s not a good thing. People who work for senior managers have personally relationships with them and get special treatment and are not under the same rules as everyone else
    There is a lot of unfairness: some people are allowed to work shortened schedules, others are given special privileges.
    There is a lot of secrecy and severe lack of transparency.
    There are quite a few people just collecting paychecks. These people just spend the entire day gossiping and hanging out and causing problems for other people.
    If you want a career, you are able to work independently, really excel and your work and work really hard ….Navy Federal is NOT the place to come to work.
    If you are dead weight, like to kiss managements behind, are a paycheck collector that spends all day gossiping…Navy Federal is the place to work.
    This company values personal relationship and a yes sir mentality if you do not fall into this backward culture you will not be happy here.

Fix your culture
    Get rid of people who do absolutely nothing all day but gossip and collect a paycheck
    Your bonuses should be based on performance standards on the actually work you do not the personal and private relaionships you have with managers and VPS
    Stop the favoritism
    If you have an open honest culture of transparency than your employees would not resort to constantly gossiping

Worked for Navy Federal Credit Union? Contribute to the Community!