Nebraska Book

Updated December 13, 2014
Updated December 13, 2014
2.5

Steve Clemente

Pros
  • As a manager easy to find a work crew as college students always looking for jobs (in 3 reviews)

• Flexible hours so good for students (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They expect managers to work extremely long weeks during busy times for low pay (in 7 reviews)

• Offcespace like upper-management manage without perspective (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Stable Student Job

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Nebraska Book

Pros

Nebraska Book Company is fine for a student job, especially when some costs (education, food, housing, etc.) may be shared with payments. Hours are flexible, and there is a great community. Awesome co-workers, fantastic manager, and very positive work atmosphere.

Cons

Definitely not a salary you want to try living on- you will go hungry!

Overall it was pretty good, not amazing but well

Current Employee - Key Holding Cashier in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Key Holding Cashier in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Nebraska Book full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Friendly Staff (at least in my region)
    Never a dull moment
    Always different
    Training is on-going so always something new to learn

Cons

Customers in my area were the worse
    Not enough hours
    Benefits are pretty bad

Mediocrity

Current Employee - Specialist in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Specialist in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Book full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hard to come up with any. It's a job

Cons

High insurance little meaningful employee application

Communication

Terrible Company DO NOT WORK HERE!

Former Employee - Team Member in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Team Member in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Nebraska Book part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are none.

Cons

The pay is poor, the hours are terrible and unstable. Management doesn't train new employees and it's filled with unskilled students that usually quit after 2 weeks because of the lack of training and general discord within the building. Also management will lie to you about "opportunities" of which in reality there are none. There is no upwards mobility in this company. They also try to cheat customers out of money with shady business practices. It's all around terrible. They don't offer benefits of any sort.

Unprofessional, unfocused management

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Nebraska Book full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My co- workers are terrific. They work hard and really care about customers.

Cons

Upper management works in a bubble and never comes out in the field. Pay is extremely low for the responsibilities associated with job. Accounting and buying departments are not trained adequately .

You have stores outside of Lincoln, Nebraska. Come out and see how bad morale is in the field in order to make changes. The textbook industry is tanking. You need to customize products in stores for the campus you are serving. Marketing should not have last minute sales that managers have no opportunity to promote. All upper management came from Target. We're not a one size- fits all industry, so give local managers more authority to promote locally.

Worthless company

Former Employee - QC/Stock in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - QC/Stock in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Nebraska Book full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the hours work well for going to evening classes to continue you're education.

Cons

I could wright a book about this... Management does not give a damn about their employees. I worked there for over 5 years and it was the worst 5 years of my life. Management only pretends to care about its employees. They(HR) set up a meeting to discuss issues in the company. I was there 6 months after that meeting before I got a job with the State of Nebraska. In that time they had not acted on anything we discussed with them. The only thing I got out of the meeting was the condescending arrogance of HR because they made snide comments about me dressing up to represent my fellow coworkers. They(HR) cared more about making fun of me wearing a tie and dressing up to get their attention that we meant business than they did actually changing anything. I am a disabled veteran with two degrees and I am almost finished with my masters in forensic science and I was treated like a brainless pile of dirt that just walked in off the street by almost ALL of the management in this company.

Wake up and take care of your employees and stop lining the pockets of upper management who blatantly don't give a crap about the people who do 90% of the work for you. I am glad I had the opportunity to get an education through my military service, because if I had to work at you're company for the rest of my life I would jump in front of a train.

sale associate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Nebraska Book as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexible hrs, worked around my classes

Cons

poor pay for the work load.

Don't Work At One Of Their Stores

Former Employee - Team Member in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Team Member in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Nebraska Book part-time (less than an year)

Pros

My coworkers at the store, managers included, we extremely dedicated to the work and created a great workplace atmosphere. I think that was mostly a result of them just being good people, though. No thanks to NBC.

Cons

Starting pay was minimum wage with absolutely no chance of a pay raise. They forced our person in charge of textbooks to do all of the work of the manager but only ever paid her a dollar an hour more than our cashiers. I worked there nearly full-time and was forced to go on food stamps because I couldn't make a living off of my wages. And because the store I worked at was a college bookstore and turnover of employees was high, they absolutely didn't care if employees were trained properly. Corporate was just a distant entity that rarely communicated anything other than their hair-brained seasonal promotions.

Things got awful when our store was slated to close due to online competition and NBC's bankruptcy. They out-right lied to us and told us that we weren't closing even though they had us liquidate every last piece of our apparel and gift merchandise. We were notified two weeks before our last day of business. Then they fired our manager for a minor, inconsequential accounting error. He had worked at the store for 12 years, and they conveniently no longer had to pay him a severance after they fired him. Corporate closed our store without so much as a "sorry" to our employees. In their press releases throughout this process, there was absolutely nothing about sympathy toward the hundreds of employees who lost their jobs in this spate of closures. There was only talk about how NBC was about to emerge as a financially healthier company.

It's possible that their corporate offices are an okay place to work. I can't speak to that. But if you work at one of their stores, expect that they'll take advantage of you.

Specialist

Current Employee - GM Specialist
    Current Employee - GM Specialist

I have been working at Nebraska Book full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Customers
    Friendly Environment
    Great new marketing

Cons

Low Pay
    Poorly planed budgets
    Need more people in store to make sure it runs properly

Stop Stretching Payroll so thin,
    The marketing team finally looks like its on the right course! Keep it that way.

Good company

I have been working at Nebraska Book

Pros

Working with collage students fast pace always changing

Cons

Not always easy to get what you need