Nebraska Furniture Mart

Updated February 22, 2015
Updated February 22, 2015
3.8

Irv Blumkin

Pros
  • Great family atmosphere, good benefits when I worked there (in 6 reviews)

• Also the employee discount is one of the best among the competition (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • To start with, the way sales people are rated is abysmal (in 4 reviews)

• For the electronics sales staff, you will be graded on things that are not really in your control (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Berkshire Hathaway-owned, family-operated retailer.

Current Employee - Salesperson in The Colony, TX
    Current Employee - Salesperson in The Colony, TX

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great values and solid business practices...Not one employee laid off in the history of the 77 year old company.

Cons

Minimal commission margins for sales staff relative to other companies in the retail industry.

Provide competitive commission margins to sales staff.

Pleasant place to work, but if you do not play politics you will not get very fair.

Current Employee - Administrative in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Administrative in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with.
    Pay excellent.
    Great hours.
    Tuition reimbursement.
    Off major holidays.

Cons

No one works together to accomplish the greater goal. More concerned with themselves than the company.

Quit micromanaging. You cannot be involved in every single situation, that is what your managers are for.

Ca

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in The Colony, TX
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in The Colony, TX

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart

Pros

To better support my family make share my kids get the best doctor s etc...

Cons

Have no down side I see me helping this grow an grow with it

I pick, pack, and recieve product for our warehouse

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart

Pros

very smooth job, always have something to do and supervisors are great.

Cons

Nothing wrong with my department

One big dysfunctional family.

Current Employee - Furniture Sales in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Furniture Sales in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart

Pros

The people you work with are great. My department is like a family. Pay is decent. The store is closed on most holidays.

Cons

The average salary is much lower than what you are told when interviewing. The 100% salaried employees do an unlimited amount of tasks that they are not paid for. Mandatory meetings are not paid. There's always a new obstacle to keep you from making money. Managers do not have any authority, they are just puppets. Survey scores are the focus of the store.

Relax on the survey obsession. Focus on the basics. Let's fix the turn over rate. Listen to your employees, and pay them for all of the extra jobs that they do.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Content Coordinator in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Content Coordinator in Omaha, NE

I worked at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is a real family feel at NFM. Most of the people that work there have been there for a long time because they take care of their employees and it is a solid work environment. There is low turnover and if you work hard there are always positions that you can move up to.

Cons

It is a retail environment so the hours can be somewhat difficult. Very conservative which can be a negative but they usually make sound business decisions.

Don't be afraid to push the envelope and be on the cutting edge. You need to do away with the internal DOS operating system because in the future that could be a potential nightmare.

Outstanding Company!

Former Employee - Electronics Design and Installation Sales in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Electronics Design and Installation Sales in Omaha, NE

I worked at Nebraska Furniture Mart

Pros

Executive vision is focused and clearly communicated, internal training is second amazing as NFM truly values education both in and out of The Mart, the staff is very professional and senior members are always willing to mentor young professionals. NFM offers career development paths and the ability to chose a career within the company. NFM's President personally attends new hire training classes and learns everyone's name... leadership that cares.

Cons

The nature of retail... instability. As a commission sales person, sales were slow until Berkshire Days and fourth quarter.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Product Specialist III BH+ in The Colony, TX
    Current Employee - Product Specialist III BH+ in The Colony, TX

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They take a huge pride in the values of the company (Honesty, Integrity, Customer Loyalty, Cost Effectiveness and Teamwork). Managers do incredibly well supporting their team and provide recognition. Lots of great opportunities to move up.

Cons

At times managers can show favoritism which will hinder the strength of the team, morale and overal the performance of one.

Please instill the managers that favoritism shouldnt be happening and offer a way for an employee to comfortably communicate the issue. Most GMs state they have open door policies but some of those GMs are buddy buddy with the manager in question. So, offer a different avenue if one feels they can't go to a GM.

Overall, seems like a great company

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart (less than a year)

Pros

People are usually pretty excited to be at work. Several teams can be heard celebrating accomplishments. It's fun to see the warehouse on the move. Most of the people you pass in the hallway will say hello and ask you how you are doing.

Cons

For some reason, there is a bizarre feeling that Omaha is watching, and it's not ok to "look bad to them". Basically, looking bad means sending any email outside of your department to ask anyone questions. I don't get it, but then I'm not much of an office politics person. I would rather people just communicate honestly.

Empower and encourage your staff. Not everything that is done or said should have to be cleared through a manager.

Fun loving environment!

Former Employee - Lead Cashier in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Lead Cashier in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My favorite thing is the staff treats each other like family! I worked at nfm for 4 years and absolutely loved it.

Cons

The schedule is a little rough when you have a family. It's hard to find a sitter when your there till 930 at night. However they have the best hours of any retail that I've ever worked.

Nebraska Furniture Mart Photos