Nebraska Furniture Mart

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Irv Blumkin

Good, but small minded

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Kansas City, KS

ProsVery flexible scheduling, and great earning potential

ConsSmall company mind mentality, but offers very little growth

Fun places to work but prepare for it to consume you!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Kansas City, KS

ProsFun meeting new people, employee discounts, 401k & profit sharing, made friends that will last a life time!

ConsThey make you do a lot of operational work and since you are on commission you don't get paid for that work. Lots of coming in on your days off for pointless training's that management deems MANDATORY, but easily could have explained the entire meeting in 2 minutes. The balance between work life and home life its 80/20.. They make you feel bad if you take a weekend off and it "happens" to be busy.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't choose favorites, all the sales people are equal! STOP THE MICROMANAGING!!! Moral among the sales staff is always low! Pay the sales people for training's EHR!

Awesome company and people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsGreat managers who certainly know how to look after their people. Coworkers are awesome and always willing to lend a hand. Great process as far a operations go.

ConsTo much politics in upper management. Outdated tech which consumes hours of work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not the best place to advance your career...

Sales (Current Employee) Kansas City, KS

ProsSome of the people here are truly amazing. I have met quite a few great people. The hours are consistent which is nice.

ConsThe management teams are constantly changing which is hard on employees. The sales structure has changed so much in a short period of time - if they want you gone they will find a way to fire you. There is a lot of drama in the different departments but you'll find that at almost any large company. They make it seem like it's easy to get promotions but it's more who you know than what you do. I have seen quite a few great people quit/get fired because of this.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to stop thinking so much about the money aspect and think more about your employees. Morale is so low and constantly flooding the floor with new salespeople is only making it worse. The idea of the core values are exceptional, but very few people follow them and live by them. I have witnessed people blatantly lying to customers and each other on numerous occasions.

Your happiness depends on where you work.

Electronic Sales Staff (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsThere is a good discount on the furniture and flooring side. Once your in the company there are plenty of opportunities to move up. This company is generous enough to let you move around to several different areas if you wish. The benefits are rather good. Long lunch breaks and decent health care plans. Your happiness at this company will depend on what position your working in.

ConsFor the electronics sales staff, you will be graded on things that are not really in your control. Yes this means that you can be fired. For example, the surveys are taken very seriously, if your customer fills out a bad survey but it's not about you, you can still be written up (Eventually fired). There are plenty more examples. More cons are working retail hours. If you are reading this and do get a job at nfm you better hope you don't work directly for the Blumpkins (ownership). They are the rudest people you will ever meet.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop grading sales staff on returns or atleast not so harshly, most of the returns are not the sales staffs fault. And to the Blumpkins you need to treat people a little kinder. Especially that one female blumpkin which I forget here name.

Good for the first 4 years but now they are going down hill and fast!

Salesperson (Current Employee) Kansas City, KS

ProsMeeting great people. Fast paced.

ConsChange of pay just this year in commission's. The company is a big Box company and does not seem to value their people as they used to. If you want good people take care of your good employee's and they willlake care of your company. Stop making it feel like an uncomfortable work environment with all the changes with we can fire you for any little thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your staff. Stop changing management with the season's this is not good for us sales people. Work with us and not wave paper work in our faces to write us up all the time! We are grown adults!

Best place to work at in Omaha, Hands down

Software Support Specialist (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsBeOne- Everyone knows that NFM is a family owned business but what they most people do not know is that "the family" behind the business is not only the Blumkins. The family behind the business is composed of each and every employee and their families. Few people understand the concept of BeOne and what it means to be a family. If you want a taste of what it means to be surrounded by the best people in this community, get a job at NFM.

ConsIt is a retail store and with retail comes issues that cannot be avoided. This is not a con, it is an opportunity for NFM to show customers what we are made of from the inside out.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust keep doing the great job and keep growing :-)

Made lot's of friends, made good money but expect to be micromanaged.

Furniture Sales (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsIn the right department you will make great money for retail.
    You will make lot's of friends.
    Discounts can be great.
    Great product training.
    Rub shoulders with lot's of product sales reps.
    Some management can be great.

ConsYou can not sit on the job. Expect to be on your feet for long hours.
    They change the way they measure your performance monthly affecting your pay.
    You are measured on things you can not control such a product returns and it will affect your pay.
    Your customer survey scores will affect your pay.
    Who writes it gets it, so you may spend hours with a person selling them something. Just to have another sales person cancel your sale and rewrite it in their name and it's OK.

Great Place to work

Flooring Specialist (Former Employee) Clive, IA

Prosthe income was .above average

ConsI don't think there were any con to this job.

Advice to Senior Managementtrain more

A difficult place to work

Salesperson (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsGreat money for a part time job. Good employee discount. Work schedules were very consistent for a sales job, so you always knew when your days off would be.

ConsThe company is constantly changing sales metrics, making the monthly a quarterly reviews very frustrating. They also have a policy of increased staffing to obseen levels around the holidays that made it very difficult to really make any money.

Advice to Senior ManagementDesign sales metrics that don't require some to fail. Eliminate current holiday staffing policies.

Worked for Nebraska Furniture Mart? Contribute to the Community!