Nebraska Furniture Mart Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Irv Blumkin

Pros
  • Great family atmosphere, good benefits when I worked there (in 6 reviews)

• The employee discount is nice, too (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • For the electronics sales staff, you will be graded on things that are not really in your control (in 4 reviews)

• In this rearguard they treat men with a blind eye and women who have done the same thing as some of the guys have been let go (in 3 reviews)

Great Place To Work!

Former Employee - Living Room Furniture Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Living Room Furniture Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO

Pros

NFM in Kansas City is an awesome place to work. Although it's a huge store, the management is fantastic. You train for a week off the floor, then on the floor with a salesperson. Everyone is very supportive of everyone else, even though you work on commission only. You can be as involved in the store as you want and join committees and make big decisions, or not. It's a very fun place to work too, since it's so beautiful and the customers become very loyal to you. It feels like you are a part of a huge family. I've made friends there for life, and thought I'd work there for only a year or so and ended up working there for three years. They give you tons of weekly training on all the vendors you sell and you end up becoming quite an expert. They are great with time off if you need it since you get lots of PTO (about four hours every two weeks, and you start off with about 75 hours of it after a few months). The insurance is very good and they have pay flex cards, and good 401K programs. They are very loyal to their workers and will help you if you are having problems selling or your sales are low, and they will try to coach you during bad times. I seriously loved this store. The customer service really stands behind their quality too, and so if something is damaged, they will replace it, so it makes working with customers pretty nice. You are treated like an adult and not spoken down to by management, in that they don't monitor your every move, which is so nice.

Cons

There are only a few downsides to working at NFM. First of all, because it is commission only, that can be hard when you are having a recession. But nice of the company, if you make less than 10$ an hour on commission, then they will always pay you at least 10$ an hour for your time there. The only other thing that can be hard is the sales floor is so large that you end up walking almost 5-12 miles a day -- seriously. The living room sales floor is HUGE and so you have to have good feet. Everyone that works at NFM goes to feet doctors and has to spend some good money on their shoes or insoles, and you can NOT wear heals or anything that's not really orthopedic. Every once in a while you may have issues with commission where sales people think other people have stolen their customers. The management sometimes gets involved, but usually they just act like we are all adults and we must work together to figure it out. Often, the salespeople will work it out between themselves. It's an adult place to work, and so they expect you to act as much. The only other con is that sometimes they make you work the day after you've had a paid holiday -- like the day after Christmas, or the day after Easter, even if that's your day off. But you get used to it. If you want to move up at NFM, it can be hard, because everyone loves working there and it's often very competitive to get a manger's job, since they like to hire from sales staff, and usually there's about 5-10 people applying for each manager's job. I've also heard that the KC store is much more clean and nice and well managed than the Nebraska store, but I don't know.

Advice to Management

The leadership at NFM is fantastic, and honestly, I can not think of anything to tell them to make the store better. They are seriously the best managers and trainers I've ever had in my whole life, and I don't even work there anymore. They treat you like adults, like friends. Maybe I could suggest having a base salary. The store makes a lot of money off it's sales staff. That, or raising the commission rate to a higher base level. I sold about a million, two hundred fifty thousand dollars worth of furniture last year and only made about $30,000. I think that's kind of sad. I think the store and Warren Buffet, could afford to give everyone there a big raise.

2. Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Salesperson in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Salesperson in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company wants to see you succeed as well as your manager. They will do what it takes to help you to succeed.

Cons

I can't think of anything that is bad about working there.

3. Best Job I have ever had!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been with the Mart since 2003 (currently 9 years) and have had several positions in different departments. The companies culture remains consistent throughout every department I have worked in. The Mart treats their staff amazing well, and even though it's size is close to 3,000 employees, still has a very "family" atmosphere.

Cons

Really can not think of any at this time. Treats staff well, is incredibly customer focused (one reason for success), and has high ethical standards.

Found My Career and Loving IT!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have currently worked at NFM for 9.5 years. I have held 4 different positions (yes we promote within) and have been challenged in all of them. I have amazing benefits (we have chosen NFM's over my spouses due to better coverage and lower cost). I get three weeks a year in vacation. I am trusted to work on my own. My manager is great with feedback and presenting new opportunities. I have AMAZING coworkers - they are the best and I enjoy seeing them each work day. I get a call on my birthday and anniversary from Ron - there are not many CEO's who do that for every employee (we have over 2000). I started as a lead cashier in 2003, finished my degree and have found a great place to continue growing my career!

Cons

We are a retail location so the work never stops (we have staff here from 4 am until 10:30 pm). It is great to be needed :)

Advice to Management

Keep on with the personal touches. It is nice to work for a company that cares about you. You give managers the opportunity to build relationships with their teams so they can push them to the next level or prep them for the next position.

6. Wonderful place to start a career!

Current Employee - Customer Care Operations Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Customer Care Operations Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strong family focus, customers always come first, More than half my family works here!! Great benefits and always doing constant reviews to make sure they are competitive. Also the employee discount is one of the best among the competition!

Cons

Easy to spend your paycheck on items from here, large campus to walk, only one food court place to choose from although its Subway so its not to bad.

Advice to Management

Make sure you carry your culture into your new Texas destination!

7. What a great family atmosphere!!

Current Employee - Buyer in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Buyer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a great place to work. I started part time over 10 years ago and am hooked. It's a company that really cares for its employees both at work and away from work. They offer great benefits most of which are not common among employers (Financial fitness, Exercise Classes, Vacation, Insurance). They are also closed on most major holidays which is hard for a retailer to do but it says alot about the importance of family time. One of them most amazing thing that I see is the companys turnover. In retail it's not uncommon for high turnover. Here at NFM we have over 400 staff that this year hit a minimum of 5 years!! Two were actaully here 45 years this past year! That alone speaks about what a great place it is to work. The other great thing is that there is plenty of room for advancement. They promote from within. So if you work hard it pays off.

Cons

You buy way too much stuff. The staff pricing and always being close to so many products makes it difficult to not have something on your Mart Card.

8. Best practice

Current Employee - Analyst in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Analyst in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They treat you like they would want to be treated. Very good company to work for

Cons

Nothing that i know of unless you are not doing your job of course

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job

9. Buyer

I have been working at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time

Pros

This company is full of great opportunities.

Cons

The pay could be better.

Great expsoure and fun environment

Former Employee - Marketing in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Marketing in Omaha, NE

I worked at Nebraska Furniture Mart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Keep employees in the loop on things, get to be invovled in many aspects of the company. The discount was nice on furniture too!

Cons

Someone limiting as far as growth potential and salary. I left due to lack of opportunity to get more money and the retail business is a different animal.

A very rewarding experience.

Former Employee - Cashier in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Cashier in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Nebraska Furniture Mart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The coworkers are very nice and helpful.

Cons

Being the new person was really tough when you had to deal with hateful customers on a weekend.

RSS Feed </> Embed