Nebraska Medicine

Updated October 18, 2014
Updated October 18, 2014
3.2

William S. Dinsmoor

Good company to work for with good benefits.

Former Employee - Coordinator in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Omaha, NE

I worked at Nebraska Medicine full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Positive work environment for the most part. Leadership was supportive & Executive Leader was visible in the company & friendly to employees.

Cons

Parking is an issue on the huge campus. Salary was fair but increases were slow. Slow responses from HR on advancement opportunities.

Quicker responses from HR when employees apply for other openings. Don't freeze salary increases for employees and initiate lay-offs then turn around and ask them to contribute part of their paychecks to expansion project.

Wonderful organization currently under terrible executive leadership

I worked at Nebraska Medicine

Pros

Serious medicine and extraordinary care is accurate. Easy organization to be proud to work for. Many, many smart, wonderful and very competent individuals. Work-life balance is good, compensation and benefits are ok. Financially stable and lots of patients - so still bringing in good money and large donors. History and being well known academic medical center attracts good people. It is likely that the organization will be able to survive the current executive leadership (assuming it is relatively brief.)

Cons

Most of the new C-suite executive leadership is new, including the CEO. They are more concerned with creating their power turf than looking for what is best for the organization. Many decisions leave you scratching your head looking for the logic or digesting the "spin" to get at the real information. Looks like they are surrounding themselves with yes people. They don't trust each other and are not creating trust around them. Some are just incompetent in their role, but all seem to be unaware or uncaring of the toxic cloud they are creating in a largely friendly organization. Fortunately much of the organization works in silos which can slow progress of the toxic cloud, although many good people have left.

For long term health of the organization make a clean sweep of C-executives. Good HR leaders would help too. The organization is doing well due to the loyalty of good people making sometime heroic efforts. There are helpful distractions like new cancer center, new outpatient buildings, ebola…, but you are wearing down the loyalty and good will of many.

It only counts on paper

Current Employee - BSN in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - BSN in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Medicine full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of my coworkers are great to work with and they always have your back which is a blessing.

Cons

Management is a joke. Our mission statement to give extroidinary care is just a statement to get people in the door. We are over worked and underappreciated. Of you don't work enough you are going to be getting a visit from somebody telling you to pick up the pace.it doesn't matter that you have a critical or high maintenance patient that is requiring a lot of work, you are told you will just have to sick it up and work faster

Get out of your office and get down and do some real patient care so you can experience what the rest of us ate really doing and yes you are too take a full load of patients just like your employees who are doing their best to provide the best care possible.

Wonderful

I worked at Nebraska Medicine full-time

Pros

atmosphere
    colleagues
    benefits
    technology
    fairness
    network
    tuition reimbursement
    advancement
    job

Cons

parking
    location
    politics
    committees
    red tape
    gossip
    turnover
    cubicles
    unseen managers
    lack of collegiality between hospitals and colleges
    formal dress code

Great learning opportunities

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Omaha, NE

I worked at Nebraska Medicine part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Advanced evolution in care, personal growth, reputation

Cons

Poor management and lack of support of ancillary staff, benefits, consistently fail to fulfill promise, minimal value of tenured employees.

Going down hill fast.

Current Employee - Surgery Nurse in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Surgery Nurse in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Medicine full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We take care of very sick patients; which means we also do very special surgeries and treatments that you can only receive at NMC. Transplants, cancer treatment and reconstructive surgery and several more unique experiences.

Cons

Staff is extremely under paid and over worked. Staff that have worked for company several years make the same as a new hire grad. They don't appreciate employees who have stayed with company. Benefits are horrible and the only employer in omaha where you must pay to park in their lot. Lowest price is $23 a month and it's almost a mile away from hospital entrance.

Don't tell us to live with in out means when you're out driving around in BMWs and have vacation homes; while we haven't had a raise in over a year.

Fantastic company, dedicated to patient care

Current Employee - Patient Registrar in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Patient Registrar in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Medicine full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Proffesion environment, Senior management swift and proactive, well respected in the community, culture of self improvement

Cons

Long hours, benefits are middle of the road, management tends to "helicopter" over you looking for feedback or metrics in places that are not problem areas, the worst parking situation I've experienced in my life

Very disappointing job experience

I have been working at Nebraska Medicine full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Academic medical center - keeps hospital management on its toes.

Cons

Politics at the management level is terrible. HR team is a group of catty women who back stab one another and spread rumors about physicians and employees - they are a joke! Hope the new CEO cleans house! We are always two steps behind our competition, but management thinks we are the best in Nebraska. Arrogance is hurting this organization's reputation.

You will continue to lose market share due to your arrogance and inability to make decisions. Announcing that we are going to a 24/7 trauma center in the media without telling Alegent/Creighton showed your true colors to this community. Employees are embarrassed of this leadership team and looking for any opportunity to go to Methodist, Alegent/Creighton, or to a private practice clinic.

It's been a good place to work.

I have been working at Nebraska Medicine full-time

Pros

Great place to cover a wide spectrum of stuff. Not stuck doing one thing or managing one type of system. You can get your hands in things like storage, systems, different OS's, etc. Ability to get training has been no problem and have gotten lots of it.

Cons

None really to speak of other than people who grumble that it's a terrible place.

Feel Great at the End of the Day

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Nebraska Medicine full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The mission statement is focused around the patients served. There really is a culture of caring for the patient and even their families. The doctors are genuine and I believe that it is more than just a business. As health care changes, more and more academic and private physicians are reaching out to each other to collaborate. I think the nursing staff enjoys having a variety of patient populations to care for.

Cons

It takes forever to make any sort of significant change. There are a lot of cogs in the machine. I can't tell if that is due to the fact that the organization is too big or if they are just adverse to change and progressive thinking.

Coach up. I don't think there is enough leadership that focuses on developing the staff under them.