Nebula

Gordon Stitt

Unique Experience with Interesting Product

Former Employee - Technical Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Nebula as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Nebula is tackling technical problems that few other companies have to deal with (being both in the hardware and software business). The variety of work that needs to be done at Nebula and the highly-skilled employees both contribute to an environment in which any professional will be able to hone their skills.

Cons

There is occasionally a bit of bureaucratic in-fighting amoung the higher-ups at Nebula, and as a result getting support for a product change can be unnecessarily difficult. As an intern, it was difficult fighting through this in order to create value for the company.

For the internship program, consider doing a fuller job of scoping out work prior to the start of an internship; it can be frustrating to work on minor tasks or be blocked due to executive decisions for someone who is only with the company for a couple of months.

Working here was one of the best decisions I've ever made

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Nebula full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some amazingly smart people work here. I've learned dozens of widely used open source technologies, worked on a variety of stimulating problems, and made some life-long friends.

I've gained full-stack experience working on embedded systems, BIOS configuration, an initramfs, the Linux kernel, IPMI, a production SELinux policy, udev, LVM, MySQL, several distributed systems, virtualization, HTTP servers, and even client-side JavaScript.

Cons

We're venture-backed and still looking for a good market fit. We've got a million grand ideas that make it hard to have a clear product vision.

Enable better communication between sales and engineering. Help us to speed up our release cycle.

Great leadership, great culture!

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Nebula full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nebula's got great technology and a fast-paced environment. The company is rapidly growing with a solid reputation in the cloud community. The leadership is experienced and understands how to successfully build the company. The culture is one of innovation, teamwork and a lot of fun! As a start-up, you get to wear a lot of hats and help influence the company's future direction, which keeps things interesting.

Cons

No real cons that I have found.

A Startup Culture In Transition

Current Employee - Engineering in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Nebula full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The overall culture at Nebula is hardworking and fun, an energizing combination. The engineering team is whip smart, 100% engaged, and very collaborative, one of the best I've even worked with. I appreciate the support and autonomy I have to make decisions and get work done, and also how rapidly the team comes together to solve problems and respond to customer issues.

Cons

Company-wide, the right hand doesn't always know what the left hand is doing. As a growing and changing organization, we need to get better at checking assumptions and communicating with each other.

Personally engage with leaders throughout the company, not just the ones you know well. By relying on limited input, decisions get made with insufficient information, and people feel undervalued.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at Nebula full-time (less than an year)

Pros

New management has really improved the company atmosphere, making this an exciting pace to be at this time for cloud computing.

Cons

Still some work to be done building the infrastructure of the company.

Keep up the communication with the employees.

Brilliant people, amazing product, with a lot of growing pains... But things are looking up!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nebula full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are super willing to help others learn. There is a lot of motivation and willingness to share knowledge in this company. There are plenty of changes to do and attend brown-bags. No question is ever dumb.

Open-door policy between "levels" of the company - you are free to voice your opinion and concerns, regardless of where the person falls on the org-chart.

Get to work on an amazing product, and solve difficult problems.

Really just a smart, nice, and amazing group of people. The people make this company amazing.

Cons

High demand to ship "on time" when reasons and motivations to do so are not well understood by anyone. Releases are stressful and seemingly pointless.

There was a lot of drama and in-fighting between VP+ level people, but this has recently been seemingly remedied.

Release-cycle needs fixed. Releases are stressful, cause burn-out, and are seemingly pointless as they are not clearly tied to company/sales goals.

Get those customer verticals buttoned up and clarified.

Get better communication between product, sales, and engineering.

Allow more time for side-projects and engineer wishes - constant release churn is bad for us all.

Fix the release process - ship things when they are ready, accept when they are not without the personal blame and finger-pointing. Let's make it great, not make it simply fit a check-box.

Allow time to manage technical debt.

Great startup experience!

I have been working at Nebula full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The team is great and have lots of experience to share with you. If you are interested to learn about something, just ask and people will jump in to help you. We are on the cutting edge of building a brand new market and it is a great challenge.

Cons

- Limited investment in marketing early on but is currently being remedied.
    - Minimal communication from execs to company on plan and whats happening.
    - There are engineering camps that don't fully understand how to build products for the enterprise - they need coaching.

Communicate, communicate, communicate!

Poor management.

I have been working at Nebula

Pros

Fridge, toys, alcohol, purple, ferries.

Cons

Culture, ego, arrogance, vindication, process..

Some worts... but overall an exciting and challenging place to work

I have been working at Nebula full-time

Pros

Some of the best engineers you will ever work with. Influential minds working on cool open source technology. Disruptive product in a potentially huge market.

Cons

Culture of over-promising and under-delivering. Very little trust. Leadership is highly political. Infighting and power plays distract focus from building a killer product and determining the market fit. Continuous strategic pivots have wasted valuable time to market.

Sales: Focus on the verticals that are yielding results. Right now it feels like there are too many efforts all over the place and no cohesive plan on how to execute.

Eng: Engineering has too much power. Engineers should not dictate 100% of strategic decisons for the company.

Execs: You are supposed to be on the same team!

Nebula still has an incredible opportunity, and the time has come to take that seriously.

Ncice

I worked at Nebula

Pros

Very good company to work with. Nice colleagues and management team

Cons

Not much downside. Overall a good company to work for.