Needle Reviews

Updated April 9, 2015
21 reviews filtered by
2.8
Morgan Lynch

It is whatever you make of it.

Current Employee - Contractor in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Contractor in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Needle

Pros

The flexibility is awesome, especially if you want a non-phone job because you have small children and can't really commit to more than 1 - 3 hours of work at a time. It's very nice during the holidays but whoa! come February, I hope you have another line of income to rely on because this won't even buy diapers. Everything the other reviews have already said is pretty much true except for the one from Sandy, UT ( obviously from the headquarters) which just came on to boost up the ratings, that person may really love it but there's a reason why. To make the best of this opportunity, you have to do the following things:
    1. Don't miss commits!!! It only hurts you, you loose points but I also think they use it somehow to route less chats to you as well. And, it's too hard to recover those points and make enough points to keep your score high enough to pick your schedule so you wind up a loser on the Leaderboard at the mercy of whatever is left.
    2. Type fast. Really fast. Constantly check on the cx while looking for whatever they want and respond constantly to anything they say. (It's all about response time and points.)
    3. Know the vendor you chat for well, be a customer, be a rewards member, etc, now their products like the back of your hand - it helps you be faster and more knowledgeable.
    4. I've never gone to work to make friends so I don't mind the "less than friendly" environment, it just wasn't what I expected when I first started.
    If you do these things, you'll make a couple of easy bucks and close your computer when you're done. There are great days and low days, act with dignity, treat people the way you would like to be treated, and don't worry about the things beyond your control. There are 2 things Needle has going for it that I love, the flexibility and loose structured atmosphere work well for me and I fear other people who don't act responsibly will screw that up because bad apples always spoil everything.

Cons

Yes, you may be told you can make $10-15/hr. On Most hours you can but on slow hours, not going to happen.
    The pay could be better when you see how much you sell in a week or 3 weeks time and realize they're not even paying you 1% of that, bonuses/small commission would be nice.
    There is no real training to really get you understanding what is needed, you'd better be smart enough to figure this out or find me and I will help you because the other thing is that most of the "ancients" aren't nice, won't help, are snippy, cliquish, and sometimes just plain old mean. Give yourself at least 6 weeks to get good at it on your own accord.
    The system needs serious work, it's sluggish and inaccurate. Again, build up your own resources and you will excel, seek out add-ins to your browser that will help make you faster and your searches more efficient. You need to be tech savvy for that part.
    (Those are the cons: pay could be better, you're all alone, and the tools are useless.)
    Yes, I still recommend it though, just know what you're signing up for and do the best you can. It's easy money that you wouldn't earn while you're wasting time on your computer anyway.

Advice to Management

The points are great, but an occasional cash bonus and more incentives would help especially when it is slow and you're reducing hours available.
    Use another pay system or at least give a choice, PAYPAL sucks, how about Amazon Payments or Google Wallet PLEASE??? Even Square Cash, there are so many other options now!
    Get better techs so your system works seamlessly integrating real time information from the vendor, that would be awesome and it's doable.
    Don't call it a team, when you really mean group. There's very little team work or team building, no team atmosphere at all. I've worked in online customer service teams, this is not one. This is a group of people all signed in for the same purpose but not working together for the same goal.
    How about a suggestion box because I have a dozen more!

2. Don

Current Employee - Contract Chat Agent in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Contract Chat Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Needle

Pros

Work at home, make some money, get to see a lot of people spend money you wished you had. Points.

Cons

Rude bosses who couldn't care less about the amount of sales you make for their company. "Coworkers" who are in it for the extra money take the busy hours away from people who actually need the money. Rude "team" members who threaten you and try and intimidate you so they can keep their hours.

Advice to Management

TREAT YOUR ADVOCATES LIKE HUMAN BEINGS! They need money just as much (if not more than) you do! Stop stealing their money from the sales they make!

A Great Place To Earn Some Extra Money

Current Contractor - Advocate
    Current Contractor - Advocate

I have been working at Needle as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

For true "brand fans", this job offers a flexible and fun work schedule where you can chat about your favorite items. It's a fabulous part time job. The console is easy to use, the products are fun and it's low pressure. You are a contracted employee so you can work as little or as much as possible. The Community Mangers and Leads are fair and easy to work with.

Cons

You do work with a lot of people who are the not the "cream of the crop".
     It's frustrating that you get paid the same amount as people who constantly miss committed hours (then they gripe about not getting hours), have poor grammar skills, do not follow the rules of conduct (especially in team room) and make excessive demands when they have no seniority to do so. However, even though this is a contract position - they continue working with Needle and bringing their negative attitudes to the team.

Advice to Management

I would get rid of the fluff. If people break rules, cannot make commits, or are constantly being negative and disruptive, don't give them another chance.

Immature Managers & Petty Brownnosers

Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Needle

Pros

Working from home, Make own hours. This is Great if you need just a little extra pocket change.

Cons

Poor Team Managers, No Equal Footing with other Needlers, & Immature catty advocates.

You can't express or talk about bad customer experiences, if you do someone in the team rooms is watching and will snitch on you just for venting. You are NOT allowed to express displeasure in ANYTHING. I believe (and I know I'm not the only one) that their favorites get first pick at the schedules, which leave you going with out work sometimes. The cliques and favorites among the team members is sad and SO high school. So if you are willing to put up with that Go right a head and join. Not to mention, you only get paid .91 cents per chat and they dupe you into believing that you can make between 10-15 an hr. SO NOT TRUE. Especially if their favs get first dibs on the schedule and the newbies get dirty rotten seconds. Just be careful. Don't chat with other members unless you need help looking for a product and do NOT try and make friends, they will chew you up and spit you out. ONLY THE ORIGINALS GET FULL TIME PAY. BECAUSE THEY HOG ALL THE HOURS.

Advice to Management

Stop Picking favorites! REALLY TRAIN YOUR TEAM MANAGERS. Increase Chat pay, and last but not least, learn how to deal with conflict among advocates. If you want people to be committed and good at what they do, remember that a team is only as good as it's managers! Your managers for team chats are absolutely TERRIBLE.

There is potential for something good but flaws are plentiful

Current Contractor - Needler-Contractor in Tacoma, WA
    Current Contractor - Needler-Contractor in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Needle as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Change to work with several people.

Cons

Vague work requirements. Vague explainations. You are paid per chat, not by the hours that you are logged in. Depends on the company you chat for, you could literally be obligated to work standby on chat and only get 3 chats, and if those 3 chats only lasted 5 minutes each, you only get credit for 15 minutes of chat time. You need to complete 3 hours of ACTIVE CHAT TIME to excell and be offered the option to have more than 1 chat at a time. So you can technically be signed it to work or freelance for 30 hours each week but only have 6 or 7 hours of active chat time. If those chats aren't qualifying chats (longer than a few minutes) they don't count. So you could work 30 hours on your computer and only get paid a few dollars. The team leaders definitely have their favorites. Don't ask too many questions or else you will get blacksheeped for sure.

Ok place to earn some money

Current Employee - Chat Agent
    Current Employee - Chat Agent

I have been working at Needle part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility of hours, variety of work, meeting new people, fun work atmosphere, etc. The freedom that comes with it is nice.

Cons

Low pay, very hard to earn a decent living. They tell you you will make $10-15 an hour and this is rarely true as you're paid per chat.

Advice to Management

Pay hourly!

8. Awesome caring company

Current Employee - Chat Agent in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Chat Agent in Sandy, UT

I have been working at Needle part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I get to work with people from all around the world.

Cons

I cant think of any.

Advice to Management

None

Horrible, for over a year

Former Contractor - Advocate
    Former Contractor - Advocate

I worked at Needle as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule, easy money and they are very good as long as you are a brown noser who will never speak up for yourself.

Cons

Horrible "management", and Needle seems to use the term "team" with no real understanding of what exactly a team is. A team is a unit of people, who work together to achieve a common goal. What they have established is a competition and no real motivation to "help" other "team members". Pay can be decent, if you understand how it works and work it to your advantage. Needle is set on a basis of gamification, so learn the game and learn it well and you'll be fine, if you can stand to put up with their horrible management, or lack thereof. Also, Morgan Lynch, CEO won't respond to any emails, so don't waste your breath. He will just gossip about it with other Needle employees.

Advice to Management

Look up webster's definition of team, and try it out for once. Also, it would serve you well to have your "community managers" actually understand the inner workings of what Needlers deal with everyday and have a basic understanding of management. Until then, good luck getting and keeping decent people who know what they're doing and consistently perform well, including coming to work on a consistent basis.

Pay? What Pay?

Current Contractor - Independent Contractor
    Current Contractor - Independent Contractor

I have been working at Needle as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Not much that I can think of

Cons

I responded to an ad on a website I visit, looking for people to provide chats for a retailer I was somewhat familiar with. This looked like a great way to make a little pocket change in my spare time, so I went through the hoops of getting set up as a contractor. After working Thanksgiving week almost full time, I found out through another source that we were not going to be paid any cash at all- just discounts and favors from the vendor.

Advice to Management

Wow! Work is work, and compensation needs to be spelled out honestly up front. I'd have been happy with the $1 per chat others have discussed here, even though some of those chats last 45 minutes, and we're encouraged to never cut a customer off. Needlers should be paid by the hour for time actually spent in chats.

11. Amazing group of people

Current Contractor - Independent Contractor in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Contractor - Independent Contractor in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Needle as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, work-life balance, support, awesome supervisors. The supervisors are great and are very helpful/friendly. I work remote and they are very approachable and will go out of your way to help you.

Cons

"okay" pay. There isn't really much to go here, could be more doors to advancement and growth in that regard.

Advice to Management

Opportunities to advance would be great. The overall communication is great, keep it that way.