Neff Rental Reviews

Updated April 9, 2015
55 reviews filtered by
4.0
Graham Hood

Pros
  • This training also positions each employee for advancement in the organization and Neff is very high on promoting from within (in 6 reviews)

• I also work with a great team of people, from technicians to salesmen, from admin to management, they all help to create a great working environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, few days off, not all holidays off and little flexibility to take time off for family issues (in 4 reviews)

• When almost every person in the upper management (including CEO) used to work for another rental company before Neff (in 4 reviews)

1. Hard work does not go unnoticed

Former Employee - Senior Sales Coordinator in Lafayette, LA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Coordinator in Lafayette, LA

I worked at Neff Rental

Pros

Promote from within. I was promoted 2 times in a year and a half. I left for another company and was laid off after 3 months. That would not have happened at Neff. They treat employees like family. It is a fast paced environment, which makes days go by very fast. Great job if you are a competitive person who loves to win. It can be very stressful, and also very rewarding at the same time.

Cons

Long work hours, pay was not great, very high stress

Advice to Management

More growth opportunities

2. Sales Coordinator

Former Employee - Inside Sales Coordinator
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Coordinator

I worked at Neff Rental full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back office enviroment. Get to be around and sometimes operate heavy machinery. It gets you to be familiar with how construction works and is conducted and a better understanding of what the machines do. Hours are Mon- Fri

Cons

Hour pros are Mon-Fri however you work 5 10 hour days. or 50 hours or more a week. Money is low for what you do there. You are a cold call sales person an order taker a machine mover and essentially you do a little of everything there. Thats not really a con but the con is you only get 13/hr for the trouble, you do get commission but its not a steady thing. There is not branch based formal training program and is irradic so its all over the place one time your taking a reservation and the next your doing something completely opposite. The biggest con is you are expected to be an ace at the job in less than a week it seemed.

ADVICE: If you have no prior construction equipment experience rethink what you want to do because there is an awful lot to learn in such a small amount of time and.

Big

Advice to Management

Hire people in this position with prior construction experience only. There is simply way too much to learn in such a short time.

3. Effort and dedication is not overlooked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Neff Rental full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The statement "what you put in is what you get out" couldn't be more true. If you put forth the effort and commit you will be well compensated and noticed. I like the fact that even if you aren't in a large market and generate the most revenue there are still criteria and metrics in place so region and corporate staff are aware of your efforts. The culture is great. It is very much a team concept. I've played numerous team sports throughout my life. Having a job I come to everyday and being part of a team helps me learn, teach, lead, and be lead. Many of my teammates have become great friends, even across multiple states. The training provided to coordinators and mechanics to support me is unmatched. Sales representatives are also provided with great training. I'm not a number. I have solid relationships with region as well as corporate staff members. It didn't take long for me to realize I didn't have a job at Neff, I have a career.

Cons

Long hours no question. With drive time included I worked a 16 hour day this week. A customer needed me though and I'm in the customer service business. While not ideal, it's what I signed up for. 16 is certainly not the norm but you can expect a 10-11 hour day most days. The entry level position is tough. You are new and have a large area of responsibility. You are in what I would consider the most important position at any location. If you are a take charge person who is organized you will impress management because you'll exceed the expected learning curve.

5. "If you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life..."

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Odessa, TX
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Odessa, TX

I have been working at Neff Rental full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I came into Neff with former sales experience and with zero knowledge of heavy equipment. The Sales Coordinator role is ideal for learning the industry and getting your feet wet without the risk of failing as a sales rep right out of the gate. Very easy to get along with the people you work with on a daily basis and some of my closest friends came from working here. Neff typically likes to hire from within, whether it be within that branch or neighboring branch so the opportunity for advancement is extremely reasonable. Once I thought I was ready for a promotion to go into outside sales, 4 months later I was on the road.

Cons

You are actually going to have to work here, but it makes it all worthwhile. Not only do your coworkers notice the hard work but so do your customers and will only make you more successful. There are occasions when you are on call that you are going to have to sacrifice going to the branch on the weekend for an emergency. It is a part of our culture to put our customers first because we building ourselves to be one of the premier equipment rental vendors in the market. Medical benefits are a little pricey and coverage isn't the best.

6. Solid Company - Good experience

I worked at Neff Rental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid stable company - good working environment. Sales and profitability driven. Fast paced environment. Management is positive and hire from within .

Cons

Wages low for job expectations. High stress environment. High turnover as a result of the low pay and high stress. Micro-managed. Burn-out common.

Advice to Management

Increase pay to individuals that perform. Morale will improve and turnover decrease as the stress levels are reduced.

The grass wasn't greener

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Neff Rental full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked here for almost 6 years before taking a 7 month hiatus to work somewhere else. I wish we never parted ways. The money is great, but only if you have a real work ethic. Nothing is given away or should be taken for granted...you truly earn every dime. From the branch team, branch management, regional management, and even corporate, I couldn't be happier with the camaraderie, training, and support provided at all levels. Along with that, I have complete faith in our direction and where I see us going in 1, 5, and even 10 years from now.

Cons

Progression through the ranks is sometimes difficult, but it's only really a matter of circumstance. People don't want to leave, so vertical spots to advance to are few and far between.

Also, at times I find ancillary projects/initiatives becoming a bigger deal than they should be which, in turn, take focus away from (and/or create a longer and more tedious path to) what matters...putting iron on rent.

Advice to Management

Don't let tools become the job, and continue to grow the footprint. In doing so allow for advancement to these newly created positions, specifically management, from the inside more than hiring from the outside.

8. Rewarding Career with Advancement Opportunities

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Neff Rental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Neff is a great company to work for. I personally started right out of college working in the Sales Coordinator position behind the counter, however I was promoted to Territory Manager within a year, due to my diligence and hard work. It is a company that really focuses on promoting from within. Neff also offers a variety of trainings that are authentic and prepares you for real life situations that you will encounter on a daily basis. It is a fast-paced job that requires attention to detail and a high level of customer service. You can have a very lucrative career with Neff if you are dedicated, motivated, and personable. Neff offers a competitive benefits package, along with gas reimbursements and a car allowance, depending on your position. Employees at Neff work together whether you are a mechanic, in management, a sale representative, etc. It is a company that believes in supporting each other. Neff is an honest company that wants each employee to be successful.

Cons

Working at Neff can be a stressful job, however you are surrounded by great people that will help out in any way possible.

9. Stressful and exciting

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Athens, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Athens, GA

I worked at Neff Rental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Entry level position is given a lot of responsibility. No chance to sit around being bored- you are the central hub for branch operations.

Cons

Tied to telephone and desk

Advice to Management

None, good company to work for. Like any other company they put a carrot in front of you to chase, and then when you think you are about to grab it- it moves. Provide entry level employees with more direct paths.

10. Supportive team in a demanding, but highly profitable industry poised for growth

I have been working at Neff Rental full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smaller national company with the visiblity to showcase one's talent and advance quickly if you're willing to commit. Team atmosphere with encouraging, support staff that will give you the tools to advance. If you have good, original ideas you will be heard and have an opportunity to contribute if you're a new sales coordinator or a 20 year veteran. In an industry where training is lacking, Neff Rental does the best it can with the resources at their disposal to take an inexperienced recent graduate or a young professional with no heavy equipment background and make them industry experts.

Cons

Smaller footprint makes it difficult to compete with the larger national companies, however at the same time the David vs Goliath ethos permeates through the company and is also a great strength. Very conservative approach to expansion and with the industry as a whole on an uptick, Neff should do more to take advantage while the companies are highly profitable.

Advice to Management

Improve benefits package to include tuition reimbursement, paternity leave, more time off and company matching donations to charitable organizations to compete with companies outside the equipment rental industry for talented recruits. Create strategy to be in at least every top-100 market in the U.S.

11. Very fast paced company with rapid career advancement opportunities.

I have been working at Neff Rental full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Neff asks a lot from its employees, however, they give a lot back in return. Strong sense of team within the entire organization.

Cons

Tough to compete against some of the larger companies due to our limited number of locations, however, Neff succeeds in using this to their advantage many times. No one wants to be a "number"...

Advice to Management

The company needs to continue its aggressive growth cycle that it has been in to widen our footprint of stores.