Neff Rental

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Graham Hood

Sales Coordinator

Sales Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsGreat training. Great opportunity for promotions. Great company to work for... They treat you like a person not a number like you may get at larger companies. Everyone, on all levels, works as a team to get the job done.

ConsLong hours. High amount of responsibility starting off. Can be a high stress position.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare responsibility of dispatch with drivers as a lot of coordinators are transplants who are not familiar with area.

Soon to be former field tech

Road Mechanic (Current Employee) West Palm Beach, FL

ProsTeam work is great here as far as service to rental.

ConsReally bad service manager. Old equipment. Unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop polishing turds

Career! Career! Career!

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent Training with management that really cares. If you work hard, have a good head on your shoulders you can definitely move up the ladder. Big company that still has a small company feel.

ConsNeff's model sometimes makes it difficult to compete with the "Big Boys" in certain markets. This is not necessarily a con because Neff functions the way the do for a reason. Their process seems to be working on a nation wide scale but it is not completely transferrable to every market. Still a great company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive us a better vacation policy!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"WE CARE MORE" is a joke

ProsIt's a paycheck but not a great one, good co-workers

ConsPoor management, extremely micro-managed, more concerned with the way things look on paper than anything else, most everyone in corporate office can't answer any questions and constantly loses paperwork, rude upper management that is disconnected from real problems that occur

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat ALL employees the same, hire decent managers and quit micromanaging employees. Believe it or not, most employees are capable of doing things on their own without constant supervision and having to log every little thing so it can be double checked. Treat them like they aren't 5 years old.

Bait and Switch

Sales Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsTheir training is quasi decent, support for staff is somewhat existent, and advancement is based on merit as opposed to seniority.
    If you want a career in outside sales, this may be the place for you.

ConsTraining focuses on how to get a deal on the phone, but not on how to use their computer programs.
    Your contracted guaranteed pay for the first six months will be different after your first six months (personally, my pay shrank significantly with no change in responsibility).
    Dispatch is a thankless, terrible, over demanding job that turns otherwise good people into rude people.
    Merit isn't really based on service, or a job well done, but on the number of calls you log.
    Regional sales manager likes to send berating emails about how everyone should be "ashamed of themselves", and how "this is embarrassing". Rarely are results and hard work ever recognized.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the work load you give to your employees, and adjust it depending on individual responsibilities and branch traffic.
    Employee reviews ought to be held more often than once every 18 - 24 months.
    Leading people with a positive attitude and praise is far more effective and sustainable than blame and scolding.

If you enjoy being micro managed this is the place.

Sales Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsManagement is approachable and they do give benefits. Easy to get along with fellow employees.

ConsHours are long. Do not get real overtime. There is no clear cut way to advance. Hard work at the coordinator level is not recognized.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave yearly reviews with employees

good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey pay well and give you excellent benefits. There is a lot of freedom to get the job done in the way you see fit. Lots of resources at your disposal to get the job done efficiently and correctly.

ConsThey expect an awful lot from their employees. Long hours, few days off, not all holidays off and little flexibility to take time off for family issues

Fast pace, High stress work environment where everything is urgent but at the same time surrounded by great people

Ouside Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsThey almost always promote from within the company so definitely room to work your way up with time. They also have a great managing core where even the Vice president of you region will know your name and story. Excellent training program

ConsCommunication is not always there between the different levels of the food chain. Also as a sales representative the commission is territory based rather than account based. That being said at times you are making everyone else money rather than yourself. Also weak base salary.

Neff is a challenging, yet rewarding place to work.

Road Mechanic (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsWorking at Neff affords me the opportunity to work in the profession I enjoy while also giving me ample time to spend with my family. The opportunity to participate in the 401K also helps to plan for the future. I feel that the leadership at the branch that I work at takes care of my needs as well as they can. I also work with a great team of people, from technicians to salesmen, from admin to management, they all help to create a great working environment.

ConsWorking at Neff, as anywhere, has its down side too. Occasionally we have to work late to meet the needs of the customer, it is just the nature of the beast. While there is equipment training, it would be nice to see a little more that what I have seen.

Advice to Senior ManagementLocal management is great, keep taking care of us. I have not had very much exposure to upper management so I can't give much advice to them.

It's not just a job, it's an adventure.

Heavy Equipment Field Mechanic (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsI have a family, so I appreciate the company's health insurance benefits. Also, Neff has a 401 k plan and various incentives such as profit sharing checks. Personally, I have attended several helpful on sight training classes. I would recommend Neff to anyone looking for a career.

ConsThe pace is hectic which can occasionally cause communication breakdown. You have to be up for the challenge of hard work and thinking on your feet.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you are hiring conscientious mechanics. After a trial period, if you find an employee was just blowing a lot of smoke when you hired them, remedy the situation.

Worked for Neff Rental? Contribute to the Community!