NeighborWorks America Reviews

3.6
Chuck Wehrwein

1. A great place to work

I have been working at NeighborWorks America

Pros

The office feels like a community. Of course this varies by department, but generally the people are great. People care about NeighborWorks's mission. Management is very understanding and flexible. But this does change a bit by department.

Cons

Sometimes you have nothing to work on and other times there is entirely too much to do. While this can be true anywhere, it seems like lack of organization on the part of management contributes to this problem. Balls get dropped and then employees have to scramble to pick them up again.

An Amazing Organization

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at NeighborWorks America (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, great benefits and work/life balance, a lot of ongoing training to stay on top of all the housing/policy issues that affect the organization

Cons

Not enough communication among the different divisions, and that resulted in unnecessary work

Inter at NWA

I worked at NeighborWorks America

Pros

I was granted the freedom to be able to develop my own plan of action on the project I was presented with. As long as I cleared my ideas with my supervisor I was able to pursue my project with the tools and skills I already had.

Cons

I really did not have any negative experiences here. Working as an intern I was able to meet a lot of the company, and was greeted with a very pleasant work enviroment.

5. Enjoy going to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowie, MD

I have been working at NeighborWorks America (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits Progressive Positive people Positive work environment

Cons

no cons to report at this time

6. Too Many Managers; Not Enough Support Staff

Current Employee - Senior Program Associate in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Program Associate in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at NeighborWorks America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits Nice People (most) Good Technology

Cons

Too many managers; favoritism is noticed in the corporation; not a good location.

Advice to Management

Give other staff an opportunity to advance; hire more support staff

7. Review

Current Employee - Consultant and National Trainer in Dorchester, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant and National Trainer in Dorchester, MA

I have been working at NeighborWorks America (More than 8 years)

Pros

What am excellent place to work

Cons

There were no cons while working at the position

8. Some unqualified Managers.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Washington, DC

I worked at NeighborWorks America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefit packages. Relaxed work environment. I loved the Staff Development Program, they pay full tuition and books!

Cons

Management advocates that they thrive to make employees happy but most of the managers are not professional enough to make the place enjoyable work environment. I personally had to leave the job because of my direct supervisor's management style, luck of knowledge, luck of confidence. There is visible favoritism even HR can't be trusted, which makes new staff feel alone and helpless. I heard many complaints was shared with HR by former employees about my ex-supervisor, I wonder if any action was taken.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff members when and if there is a complaint about a supervisor! You are losing valuable employees just because of a bad Supervisor! Listen to exit interviewee's reasons to leave a job and give serious consideration!! Most people don't like changing jobs unless there is a problem!!!

9. Great place to work!

I have been working at NeighborWorks America

Pros

-Benefits package is awesome, not as good as it used to be, but better than many employers -Telecommuting Policy is great given the open-space office atmosphere. Up to 3 days... -Great Mission and Purpose -Friendly Coworkers

Cons

-Too many meetings -Performance Review and Workplans too in depth -Salaries could be better, but are competitive being a Non-Profit - A lot of contract positions, so job security can be an issue depending on your position.

10. Cultural changes need to happen,

I have been working at NeighborWorks America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of awesome, sincere, and hardworking co-workers and non-profits that do great work ....they make the place somewhat bareable

Cons

Some incompetent managers that have never really been practitioners, are easily intimidated by those that bring valuable ideas & experience , those mangers respond punitively & micromanage versus valuing and utilizing those staff members skillsets to improve the organization. What the org says it values in employees it does not practice. The org culture is often very negative & the way issues are sometimes resolved ( resulting in firings of employees) has made the working environment somewhat hostile and prohibits employees from coming forward with concerns and impedes them from doing the best job that they can do because they are stressed out and more worried about keeping their job than doing their job due to negative management behavior Little work life balance ( depending on who you with for)

Advice to Management

Do not allow managers to continue their punitive & bad behavior towards staff and field, it is hurting the organization versus protecting it and you all are not only losing talent but your reputation is weakened in the industry, in DC ( as many of the staff are connected in ways that you all may not be aware of), and is weakened with the non-profits as staff that they valued leave. Additionally the culture of allowing that bad behavior by managers also weakens the company's ability to remain relevant to the industry.

Not a place for young people

Current Employee - Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at NeighborWorks America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits package is great: healthcare, vision, dental, 401k, EAP, and telecommuting.

Cons

What I have experienced at NeighborWorks America is a classic graduate and doctoral study case: mismanagement, low employee morale, age and racial discrimination, a caste system, and grumpy long-term employees who favor a salary rather than getting the job done. My biggest concerns for this organization are the left hand never knows what the right hand is doing, there is never clear communication, and some of the senior managers or middle managers don't care what is going on, or never know what is going on. Performance reviews are a joke, and for such a lengthy review process, nothing ever comes out of them. A lot of the managers do not know how to manage people with more experience than them, newbies with real hands-on experience or younger staff with a fresh and positive outlook to the work at hand. Of course, there is no work-life balance and most people take their work home with them. There is not a lot of turnover because the average employee has been with NeighborWorks for 15 years. No one here appreciates creativity, does not know how to use technology and constantly reminding the young people they have no place at the company and will leave shortly, all on the basis of being young. I am sure the organization has broken a dozen employment labor laws. I have heard how they treat people during interview process and its ugly. I have heard some of the managers curse their staff or call them out of their names, and top managers talking about their staff in negative ways to other employees. Senior management needs to institute a system for people to make complaints for verbal abuse. There is no trust among employees and senior management. You cannot even trust HR. They send confidential communications to the people you make complaints against with your name in bold and they will never address your concerns directly. HR would rather trust the person a complaint is getting made against, especially if they are a senior manager. A very stressful environment.

Advice to Management

For as long as it takes to fill out a workplan, there is little oversight to see if goals are being met. The 6 month review does not count, those are not real indepth reviews. My advice to staff would be to revise the entire workplan process or streamline, instead of a 14 page document, its a one page document with at least 5 key goals to achieve. Staff gets in the habits of listing every single detail to make it look like they are actually working. Does NeighborWorks want an environment where everyone meets all the time or people actually work? No real work gets done on a day-to-day basis. At least 6 hours of the day is spent in meetings, maybe staff has two hours to complete some work and then you get to take it home and answer emails late. Senior management needs to create a better checks and balances the work is getting done, allow time for work to get done and only institute meetings for brief check-ups. The only people who get heard are those that speak the loudest and either the younger employees or the newbies are not valued. A lot of age discrimination goes on in this place, managers need to figure out how to grow younger talents into leadership positions. Another way to ensure younger people are integrated in the culture, those 21-30, is training for leadership positions. There are no real growth opportunities. If NeighborWorks want to truly be a leading organization, investing in younger staff at NTIs to take leadership and management courses and receive certificates is a great opportunity. NeighborWorks America has a great mission but the long-term employees can be demoralizing to the younger staff. If NeighborWorks did a survey of people under 30 on how they felt they were being treated, they would fail. NeighborWorks should invest in effective people at all levels in the organization through interpersonal training. There are no dynamic leaders, not even the new CEO. We need to find a way together to instill dynamic people into the organization and let them loose and become game changers. There are no game changers. NeighborWorks needs to find a way to re purpose the vigor of long-term staff and use them to help the younger staff absorb the institutional knowledge and together become dynamic and game changers. There is a lot of favoritism at NeighborWorks America, certain managers favor certain staff because they have known them longer and trust them and make it impossible for newbies to build meaningful relationships.

RSS Feed </> Embed