Neighborhood Health Plan
www.nhp.org Boston, MA 150 to 499 Employees

Neighborhood Health Plan Reviews

Neighborhood Health Plan – Boston – “Neighborhood Health Plan”

Deborah Enos

Inspires loyalty and longevity

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Neighborhood Health Plan full-time for more than a year

ProsMy supervisor at least encouraged career development through expansion of my responsibilities. Apparently others did too, as there are many employees who have been there 5+, even 10+, years, as well as many family members.

Friendly coworkers and regular company events lead to interoffice friendships, if you're into that sort of thing.

Top brass is relatively transparent, with regular all-staff meetings that go in detail about the financials, overall outlook, etc.

Organization promotes career development through informal and formal mentoring and hiring from within.

Formal training programs for new hires and refresher training for current employees ensures up-to-date knowledge across the board.

ConsSalaries are high for a nonprofit, but on the low end for industry standards.

Siloing of departments leads to difficulty communicating across functional groups.

great environment, great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Neighborhood Health Plan

Proscompany locate in a great area in boston, very convenient to work by subway. people are nice, not much pressure everyday

Consnot much to say, maybe I did not stay long enough to find any bad stuff. at least in department I stayed, not sure about other departments.

Very Good Work Environment

Technology Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Neighborhood Health Plan full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNHP provides a diverse work environment that is a pleasure to work in. It has a laudable mission of providing low cost, high quality health care to disadvantaged segments of the population.

ConsInternal politics sometimes gets in the way of getting things done. Employees can sometimes be overworked due to the business requirements being greater than the size of the workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider hiring more people.

Have enjoyed my tenure at NHP

I have been working at Neighborhood Health Plan full-time

ProsProvides tremendous opportunities to grow and develop.
Excellent employee benefits.
Flexible work schedules allowed for some positions.
Truely values diversity.
Location makes for an easy commute.

ConsExecutive team is reluctant to delegate decision making.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe willing to delegate more decision making to Directors.

"Growing Pains" are Hurting Us

I have been working at Neighborhood Health Plan full-time for more than 8 years

Prosgreat benefits, flexibility, office setting, good location

Constop heavy with management, they do not listen to employees, though they provide wonderful lip service. Inefficient processes then you get called out if you can't keep up or understand. Very poor communication, even among the managers, nothing trickles down to the peons. Hence no continuity in how things are done.
I used to feel the mission: to serve our underprivileged. I feel the new mission is to cut costs and produce numbers, assembly line fashion.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to the people actually doing the job, include staff in major functionality decisions when possible, give us the resources we need to do our jobs well

It used to be an AMAZING place to work but the Partner's acquisition has triggered many, many negative changes.

Support Role (Former Employee)

I worked at Neighborhood Health Plan

ProsBenefits are great but changing and significantly as I type

ConsStaff is not valued at an appropriate level any longer.

Still thinks like a small "family" company

Non-management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Neighborhood Health Plan

ProsVery diverse. Not expected to work overtime.

ConsMany employees had been promoted to management and are now in over their heads. Some folks with selfish agendas are given free license - promoting their own career goals over the needs of the department or the company. Awards commonly given simply to those who know how to promote themselves, even if their accomplishments are actually minimal.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-assess skills needed for managers, and look closely at those who have been in management positions for more than 2 or 3 years.

Great place to work

I have been working at Neighborhood Health Plan

Prosdiversity, good work life balance, friendly people

Conslimited opportunity for professional advancement

Wonderful people, committed to member care

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Neighborhood Health Plan

ProsThe company size is just right that you are able to get to know people around the entire company. The CEO will greet you in the elevator by name and ask how your day is going. It's easy to work with people in different departments, because they all have the same goal of helping plan members. It seems that many departments are freer of an internal agenda than in other places I've worked.

ConsBecause of the size of the company, opportunity for advancement is limited. The management structure is fairly flat, so from one of the lowest positions in the company there are only a few steps to a director (who is not leaving). Because of budget issues, raises and bonuses have been hard to come by.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate some additional opportunities for advancement within the company. Listen a little more frequently to suggestions from the lower ranks.

Working at NHP

Provider Relations Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Neighborhood Health Plan

ProsBenefits, PTO, and the "Mission" of the company and its service to the underinsured and disadvantaged in Massachusetts.

ConsPolitics, politics, politics!!! There are some managers who have been in the same position for over ten years who have lost their edge and whose management style is one of intimidation and calling people out in broadcast emails and in staff meetings....unacceptable and inappropriate behavior on the part of upper management. Also, the number of employees who refer friends and family who have little or no experience and are not qualified to do the jobs their hired for.....nepotism like I've never experienced! And, promoting individuals who behave badly and step on people they don't like....again, unacceptable, inappropriate and an outrage.....why was upper management and HR looking the other way....were they afraid NHP would be sued?

Advice to Senior ManagementClean out the "dead weight" directors and VPs who manage by intimidation. What NHP needs are leaders....those who lead by example and value their employees because they understand what they are doing in the "trenches".....and not be afraid to make tough decisions for the staff and speak up to upper management!!

Worked for Neighborhood Health Plan? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Neighborhood Health Plan reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Neighborhood Health Plan CEO Deborah Enos. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Neighborhood Health Plan employees.