Neiman Marcus

Neiman Marcus Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Neiman Marcus President, CEO, and Director Karen W. Katz

Karen W. Katz

Pros:
  • "Discount at Neimans, along with an amazing employee discount sale (up to 60 percent off)"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Once in a while you get a great discount on merchandise"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Corporate executives are blind as long as the sales associates are raking in the sales"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Upper Management had an agenda- wanted to skim corners with staff"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Money And Nice Customers Are The Only Reasons To Stay

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
McLean, VA

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat loyal customers, great product and good money to be made. Nice discount.

ConsThe worst excuse for a management team. No follow through on anything. They only care about the sales but don't support you to in any way. The store looks old and tired. Spend some money to make customers feel like it's a luxury store. Make over is beyond overdue.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some new department managers in your building. You are being fooled by them, they speak to SA's with no respect. It's disgusting and no one feels comfortable going to you or HR. It's a closed door policy. Celebrate your SA's success instead of knocking them down. HR should pay for snow days your average rate not your draw. Don't be cheap, it makes us feel that you don't care about us. It's confirmed, you don't.

OLD SCHOOL… no room for new talent or ideas

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Neiman Marcus part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe discount, helping people is fun, 30/30 is amazing, half of your coworkers are great people!

ConsThey let real talent slip between their finger tips. Good luck moving up at NM!

Excellent company, benefits, salary, customers, & hours

Selling Specialist (Former Employee)
Frontenac, MO

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou can be as successful as you put your mind to and make a good living

ConsBeware of long-term associates that have become "Neiman-nized", which is snooty, vindictive, & full of greed

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's more than just the bottom dollar! Focus on creating an overall enforcement of integrity expected by all with NO exceptions to the rule. I was terminated after several attempts by 2 human resource persons who became highly intrigued to obtain information about me personally; i.e a man that I was dating. He was very successful, affluent, & very soon began to enhance my lifestyle. These women became very jealous because I now wore nice David Yurman, Chanel, & more. I was happier in my job there, performed beyond my goals as I'd always had, but now even more. No matter what, I was a target as my peers would check my register behind a big sale i'd rung up, cancel it out, & re-ring it under there #. Reporting it to management never resolved anything, because they felt that I didn't need the money anyway, yet continued to set outrageous goals for me. Ultimately, my now fiancé had purchased a gift card for me for Christmas to shop at Neiman's, & when he purchased he, they just rang it under his name. I waited for 30/30, and began to shop for my cosmetics, and also bought him a jacket for my gift to him. Within days I was escorted to LP, awaiting was the 2 HR girls with huge smiles, as they told me that they had to let me go for theft! I asked what theft & they said they did not have to legally explain the details. I retained an attorney, & also during filing for unemployment they'd mentioned on the recorded call, that they have video of my "theft". Unemployment gave them a timeframe to submit it, but what they got instead was a completely different reason for my termination, which was now "discount abuse"! They ultimately lost the case against unemployment, and the other segment I can not discuss legally, but I was NOT on the losing end. As a highly reputable company, I felt that corporate should have released these women from their position to maintain the integrity of the company & careful of who they allow to represent their brand. To date, the two are still there and have continued their charades with others who have been forced to leave & landed down the hall at Saks. I had since attempted to get onboard at Saks or Nordstrom & in a chance encounter, I'd become acquainted with the GM at a Nordstrom here. In confidence, she told me that the 2 HR girls at Neimans had told her during a reference call that I walked out of Neimans with $100k of stolen goods, I am a notorious lawsuit queen, they have a special video for training showing me stealing (which I have NEVER stolen an item in my entire life), & that I had an affair with one of their husbands(which I don't know either of their spouses) . Though they have set out to destroy my reputation, I have a strong faith & KNOW that their Karma is upon them.

Commission Sales Womens's Designer-Couture

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time for less than a year

ProsFocused only on sales...No tasks involved.

ConsToo competitive and very unfriendly co-workers!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to moral!

Product Specialist for Guerlain Cosmetics

Product Specialist (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBest hourly wage and benefits

ConsThe position I had was through Neiman's and Guerlain Cosmetics I didn't really experience the cons of the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementMinneapolis store should not have closed.

Pretty good work place for a larger company

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time for more than a year

ProsRoom for growth if your willing to be aggressive about it. Can tweak working ours to fit traffic. Process flow is better then most of the companies I've been with.

ConsOverall department direction is questionable. Almost no training. Scope and boundaries of departments are hard to see.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your own areas in check to keep of you and others accountability. This seems to be practice now, which I agree with.

Has been a good company to work for.

Department Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood Salary for Department Managers.

ConsUpper Management does not care.

As good as it gets in retail

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat salary, ok benefits, great discount. No extended holiday hours. Management is for the most part competent.

ConsSometimes it gets a little competitive and catty between sales people. Some of the other standard retail complaints do apply. Can be high pressure at times.

You get out of it what you put into it

NMO (Current Employee)

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time

ProsThe people are very friendly

ConsIt can be frustrating working on holidays at the beginning, but if you do well and stick around you won't have to do it for long.

Only good if you can bring your own customers

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time

ProsThe employee discount was pretty good

ConsIt was tough to build clientele

Worked for Neiman Marcus? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Neiman Marcus reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Neiman Marcus CEO Karen W. Katz. All 287 reviews posted anonymously by Neiman Marcus employees.