Neiman Marcus

Neiman Marcus Reviews in Dallas, TX

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Neiman Marcus President, CEO, and Director Karen W. Katz

Karen W. Katz

Pros
  • Discount at Neimans, along with an amazing employee discount sale (up to 60 percent off)(in 26 reviews)

• good discount on many items in store(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management treats contractors like they are throw aways(in 16 reviews)

• Older sales associates are very stubborn to work with(in 15 reviews)

43 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

As an employee and customer, I believe N-M is the original and best RTW high-end retailer in the world.

Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsColleagues' integrity; standard of elegance/excellence. There is fierce competition in any retail environment but high level of intellect and fair pay. Constant insistence on staying six months ahead, both in merchandise selection/purchase and timely delivery of new inventory. Thoughtful assessment of reordering fast-moving stock and marking down slow-moving sku's.

ConsFor buyers —some overtime, usually on holidays. I worked at Neiman's before all systems were computerized. Writing orders with multiple carbons for numerous store locations was time-consuming. I recall several holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas) where I was invited to my boss's home for holiday meal, after which we would write orders up to our knees well into the morning hours. Still, great camaraderie and gratification.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am no longer working at N-M. When I was, however, I felt the management was stellar, albeit some with great power could be rather distant/unapproachable.

below average

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Prospotential clintelle relationships, based on commissions

Consbad hr, catty environment, deductable check if items are returned

Advice to Senior Managementcare about employees

Very very very crappy place to work for to many riding high horses if you know what i mean

Shipping (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsTo me theres really no pros or cons to the place i mean when they have alot of work you get alot of hours and and ok paycheck

ConsI didnt like the way they treated people and the supervisor and manager wouldnt see things the shipping employees way they would see it there way and there way only no questions asked

Advice to Senior ManagementYou people need to really look at what goes on in the shipping/packing department the supervisor and manager dont know how to do there job especially the supervisor how did you give that shmuck a job there

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Negative- it is a corporate trap. Executives are solely focused on gross profit and resale of company.

Couture Sales (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsImmediate co-workers can be pleasant. Client relationship was the most rewarding and enjoyable.

ConsManagement- They need to train managers to understand the structure & reality of high profile sales and customers/clients. HR department in my store was very disorganized- could offer no insight, time line, advise to long term goals within the company and my personal growth. I joined "in-store" as I believe it is extremely important for corporate employees to have first-hand experience in the business they are in- however, I had plans to move forward into corporate and was promised that those opportunities would open to me after my first dedicated year of work in-store. I waited, and the opportunities were closed off to me due to my positive performance on the sales floor- i.e. they didn't want to lose the business that I was bringing in. My advice to anyone, is if you want to work in-store with the hopes of moving into corporate positions, be prepared to dedicate 2-3 years of in-store work- you will have to fight for yourself, no one, at least in my experience, will go up to bat for you. Everyone, so it seemed, in management were also in pursuit of the same corporate positions that you may seek- this company has an "every-man for himself" standard in my opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that Neiman Marcus would grow internally if they hired more managers who are NOT pursuing corporate "big-jobs." Nearly the entire management team in my store were a part of the "Executive Development Program" (EDP- internal program that consists of assistant-ships to buyers followed by in-store management-- their ultimate goals are to get into the buying or merchandising departments within corporate) which, while I see is very helpful to the individuals IN the program, it becomes very difficult to find true talent for management IN-store as NONE of them are actually interested in being in-store. They are continually looking for ways for to highlight themselves, rather than reward and help their departments. I think Neiman Marcus should focus on getting back to some it's "exclusive-roots"- they need to focus on hiring GREAT people, rather than MANY people.

Great place for Texas fashion industry job.

Assistant Buyer (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat detailed look into the fashion industry. Many opportunities to connect with people in the industry. People are always willing to help you.

ConsWork-life balance is not the most important to most people. TOO many job responsibilities for title and pay. The days never end.

Professional and Time prompt

Neiman Marcus Corporate Intern (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsHigh - Quality and Professional
    Neiman Marcus was very professional with my interview process. It took a little over 2 months from when I first was told that I can take their online test to when I was offered the position.

ConsI would not really say there are any cons, as I have not began my internship as of yet but I can say I am a little nervous to relocate to Texas for the summer as I am from the Northeast.

Great stable place to work

Director (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsOne of the best retailers in the industry. Committed to leadership and being the best. They are committed to growing the business in a smart way. They have growth opportunities in the traditional business as well as their online business. A lot of very talented people work there. They offer a good work life balance

ConsOutside of the merchant organization, it is hard to progress or move into other areas of the company. People should not be paid more just because they have a graduate degree, but very little value is given for MBAs. Benefits don't seem to be going in the right direction. the difference in salary increases is very little regardless of performance

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the financial success with more of the employees

My experience at NM was fantastic, they allowed me to make a difference and a contribution.

Vice President DMM Gift Galleries (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat company and very directional.

ConsMake the decision quicker when asking an associate to make a job change specially when it requires a location change.

Advice to Senior ManagementKaren Katz is amazing! Keep up the good work!

Jump-started my career

Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

Pros*Work with the best in the retail industry *Good amount of responsibility and autonomy for Assistant Buyers *Great employee discount

Cons*When things are busy they are BUSY. But that's true in all retail offices.

As good as it gets in retail

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat salary, ok benefits, great discount. No extended holiday hours. Management is for the most part competent.

ConsSometimes it gets a little competitive and catty between sales people. Some of the other standard retail complaints do apply. Can be high pressure at times.

Worked for Neiman Marcus? Contribute to the Community!