Neiman Marcus

Updated Jun 23, 2014

Neiman Marcus President, CEO, and Director Karen W. Katz

Karen W. Katz

73 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Neiman Marcus was very good to me

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Irving, TX

ProsA very professional organization to work for, classy place that expects the best from their employs. I learned a lot while I was their.

ConsYou need to love your job in order to excel and be prepared to work the hours to meet deadlines and expectations of your supervisor.

below average

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

Prospotential clintelle relationships, based on commissions

Consbad hr, catty environment, deductable check if items are returned

Advice to Senior Managementcare about employees

Very very very crappy place to work for to many riding high horses if you know what i mean

Shipping (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsTo me theres really no pros or cons to the place i mean when they have alot of work you get alot of hours and and ok paycheck

ConsI didnt like the way they treated people and the supervisor and manager wouldnt see things the shipping employees way they would see it there way and there way only no questions asked

Advice to Senior ManagementYou people need to really look at what goes on in the shipping/packing department the supervisor and manager dont know how to do there job especially the supervisor how did you give that shmuck a job there

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unless your a female there is no growth opportunity from the Sample Department

Sample Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Irving, TX

ProsDiscounts at the stores in Dallas.

ConsLack of support from Management. Very little recognition is given to the employees.

Doesn't treat IT contractors well

Irving, TX

ProsMost employees (in IT, not creatives who are snobs) are nice and accepting of contractors.

ConsCompany makes it seem like the so called "creatives" are the only ones that matter. Long hours. Upper management treats contractors like they are throw aways. Also moving a lot of IT jobs to India instead of giving higher salaries to people in their own country.

Good experiance

Operation Support Tech (Current Employee)
    Irving, TX

ProsAble to work from home.

Consno complaints about working at NM

Great place for Texas fashion industry job.

Assistant Buyer (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsGreat detailed look into the fashion industry. Many opportunities to connect with people in the industry. People are always willing to help you.

ConsWork-life balance is not the most important to most people. TOO many job responsibilities for title and pay. The days never end.

Negative- it is a corporate trap. Executives are solely focused on gross profit and resale of company.

Couture Sales (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsImmediate co-workers can be pleasant. Client relationship was the most rewarding and enjoyable.

ConsManagement- They need to train managers to understand the structure & reality of high profile sales and customers/clients. HR department in my store was very disorganized- could offer no insight, time line, advise to long term goals within the company and my personal growth. I joined "in-store" as I believe it is extremely important for corporate employees to have first-hand experience in the business they are in- however, I had plans to move forward into corporate and was promised that those opportunities would open to me after my first dedicated year of work in-store. I waited, and the opportunities were closed off to me due to my positive performance on the sales floor- i.e. they didn't want to lose the business that I was bringing in. My advice to anyone, is if you want to work in-store with the hopes of moving into corporate positions, be prepared to dedicate 2-3 years of in-store work- you will have to fight for yourself, no one, at least in my experience, will go up to bat for you. Everyone, so it seemed, in management were also in pursuit of the same corporate positions that you may seek- this company has an "every-man for himself" standard in my opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that Neiman Marcus would grow internally if they hired more managers who are NOT pursuing corporate "big-jobs." Nearly the entire management team in my store were a part of the "Executive Development Program" (EDP- internal program that consists of assistant-ships to buyers followed by in-store management-- their ultimate goals are to get into the buying or merchandising departments within corporate) which, while I see is very helpful to the individuals IN the program, it becomes very difficult to find true talent for management IN-store as NONE of them are actually interested in being in-store. They are continually looking for ways for to highlight themselves, rather than reward and help their departments. I think Neiman Marcus should focus on getting back to some it's "exclusive-roots"- they need to focus on hiring GREAT people, rather than MANY people.

HR Mgr

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee)
    Irving, TX

ProsDiscount, location, they want to get anybody in to fill positions - prcess took 1 week

ConsEngagement, lack of work life balance

Advice to Senior Managementbe open to new innovative and creative ideas

I have been at neiman marcus almost a month

Customer Care Associate (Current Employee)
    Irving, TX

Prosworking from home, The training technique it may be a little difficult but I like how its just you and your computer you kind of go at your own pace. Its worth it for all the work that you have to do and all that information that you need to know, its better they have you training yourself I think you can retain the information better.

ConsThe Pay, The Customers...sometimes can be a little aggresive

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that higher pay would be great !

Worked for Neiman Marcus? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Neiman Marcus reviews and ratings in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Neiman Marcus CEO Karen W. Katz. All 73 reviews posted anonymously by Neiman Marcus employees.