Neiman Marcus

Updated October 1, 2014
Updated October 1, 2014

Neiman Marcus President, CEO, and Director Karen W. Katz
Karen W. Katz

Pros
  • Besides the obvious employee discount, those who work in the Call Center become more like family (in 28 reviews)

• You get great discount on everything in the store (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Older sales associates are very stubborn to work with (in 21 reviews)

• Seems like upper management turns their head to the erratic behavior of their seasoned staff (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Organized, Professional, nice ground floor opportunity into fashion industry.

Current Employee - Customer Care Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Care Associate

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunity to advance and ground floor entryway into historic fashion industry with lots of influence, culture, expertise, and history.

Cons

Frequent seasonal cattle-call type hiring processes has allowed some unsavory characters to grab hold of long term positions and not all of them have good intentions towards their new co-workers.

Consider developing safe portals to advancement for experienced business and degreed professionals.

Great Learning and Career Building Experience

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

fashion leader, best hours in retail, good discount and managers will definitely take you under their wing to help you grow

Cons

Political, Old-School, slow at adapting to trends and technology

Some associates can be vicious!

Current Employee - Personal Shopper
    Current Employee - Personal Shopper

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time for less than a year

Pros

Upper management are great to work with, very personable and truly care for your happiness at NM. Encouraging, helpful and problem solvers are just a few of their talents. There are some wonderful associates to work with. Very helpful with questions and procedures I'm happy when I see that they are there when I work .

Cons

Working on commission is not only stressful, but learning the do's and don'ts can be very trying to a new employee. I have experienced different "rules" for approaching customers by upper management, floor management, as well as associates. It's very confusing and frustrating. Twice I have been in tears because of mean associates. This was only my 2nd week and the way they spoke to me was UNECCEPTABLE!!! ( Both occurred on the same day.) After the first incident, I walked off and began crying ( not usually a crier) I went to the ladies room to get control of myself and proceeded to human resources to discuss the situation. The HR asst. manager was great and supportive. She arranged a meeting with both may manger and upper management for the next day. She asked me if I wanted to remain for the rest of my shift to which I said "yes" that I wasn't going to let this beat me. I continued working only to have another associate berate me for asking her clients if they were ok or needed me to find their personal shopper because the gentleman was looking around like he WAS trying to locate someone. She belligerently told me that the clients mentioned to her that I asked them twice if they needed anything, and that they were HER clients. I started to tell her that I knew that and I was just being kind to them when she rudely walked away. I got mad, followed her and told her that I wasn't trying to take her clients to which she replied "you couldn't take my customers". I had enough for that day and proceeded to walk out and leave for the day. the next morning I had the meeting and told them that I felt that this was not a good fit for me that I was all about making sure the customer was happy, NOT THE ASSOCIATES!
    I was assured that I did nothing wrong and these two encounters were in the "gray" area. Really? they did agree that it was unacceptable behavior by both associates and that they hired me because NM needed a change in that department and I just happened to be the first to come aboard to make this happen. Great. It's definitely a learning experience but an uncomfortable one.

Don't release a new employee without properly training them. Instead of telling me to ignore the "mean ones" and to try to adjust, the "mean ones" need to be dealt with so the work place doesn't become a hostile environment! If I'm there to make a change, I shouldn't have to deal with barriers that would make this happen.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked from home

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Irving, TX

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love talking to customers, helping them with orders, answering questions, great company that cares about their employees.

Cons

Upselling isnt easy to do with the type of customers they attract.

Great place to work during the holiday season!

Current Employee - Gift Wrap/Deliverer  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Gift Wrap/Deliverer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Neiman Marcus as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The location of Neiman Marcus is amazing! It is located on the Mag Mile so its beautiful during the holiday season! The pay was also great as well! The employees are really nice and welcoming!

Cons

I didn't really care for how they did their lunch breaks, If i wanted to go buy some lunch elsewhere i felt a little rushed.

Love working for Neiman Marcus

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you want to work for the best retailer. This is where your career will develop

Cons

Nothing to say at this moment

Run from this company's Last Call stores

Former Employee - Lead Associate  in  Central Valley, NY
    Former Employee - Lead Associate in Central Valley, NY

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time for less than a year

Pros

you get a discount.

Cons

Upper management will not give you the benefit of the doubt in any case. Would never work for this company again, would rather collect cans.

Such a caring company!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time

Pros

I've never worked for a company that takes care of their employees so well! There are perks and benefits around every corner. Literally if you do the most basic aspects of your job you will be physically rewarded with some sort of gift card or prize almost every single time. They're always coming up with new fun contest incentives to do better. Also, all of the upper management are so down to earth and respectful to us sale associates. I never feel like they are talking down to me, but rather, to me, on a level of equals...

Cons

At times when I first started the job, managers and other associates would be too busy to help me when I needed it. No managers took extra time to check in with me enough and make sure I was able to handle everything on my own. I'm just glad I had previous retail experience otherwise I would have been DEAD LOST as opposed to just, lost, like I was.

Fix the training routine. It was so dense and boring, (not to mention completely unorganized with no itinerary) I was barely able to retain any of it before I began working on the floor.

Konstantino is a Fabulous Designer Jewelry line

Current Employee - Konstantino Specialist Designer Jewelry  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Konstantino Specialist Designer Jewelry in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time for more than a year

Pros

perks, perks, and more perks

Cons

standing for 8 hours a day on marble floors,

Consider the competition, they have a lot to offer the client

I love working at the Customer Care at Neiman Marcus

Current Employee - Work At Home Customer Service  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Work At Home Customer Service in Irving, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love talking to the customers and also working from home.

Cons

You have no control over your schedule

The new shared chat is awesome for learning! Continue scheduled training as it takes a while to learn the subtleties of the rules/procedures.

Neiman Marcus Photos

Outside of historic Neiman Marcus Headquarters and flagship store in Dallas. (Photo attributed to Dfwcre8tive - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 & GFDL, version 1.2)
NM Cafe
Neiman Marcus Direct

+ Add Photo

Worked for Neiman Marcus? Contribute to the Community!