Neiman Marcus Reviews

478 reviews filtered by
3.1
Neiman Marcus President, CEO, and Director Karen W. Katz
Karen W. Katz

Pros
  • Besides the obvious employee discount, those who work in the Call Center become more like family (in 29 reviews)

• Good discount, fun atmosphere, wonderful management (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • There is always, always stuff coming back, even for the top sales associates (in 25 reviews)

• Seems like upper management turns their head to the erratic behavior of their seasoned staff (in 20 reviews)

1. Customer Service Rep

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Paradise, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Paradise, NV

I have been working at Neiman Marcus

Pros

Great Pay, Benefits. If you open an account your rewarded ten dollars for each account.
    Sometimes the job is smooth and laid back.
    Lots of learning
    Problem solving skills will be smooth for you after a while.

Cons

Can get extremely busy during bonus points/triple points events. Can be confusing with lots of different promotions going on at once. Have to be constantly up to date with current events/promotions going on in the store.
    Customers can sometimes be demanding based on background.

2. Customer Service Rep

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mansfield, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mansfield, TX

I worked at Neiman Marcus (Less than a year)

Pros

Training class was fun and informative.

Cons

The training classes should be longer than two weeks. There were too many things I wasn't aware of once I got on the phones.

3. Coordinator

I worked at Neiman Marcus

Pros

Working at Neimans was one of the best jobs I have experienced. I had a wonderful boss and worked with such amazing people throughout the department store. Its a great learning experience and you get to know a lot about the company.

Cons

-You are on an hourly pay with 37.5 max hours

Advice to Management

Be patient with customers!

5. Receiving Associate

Current Employee - Receiving Associate in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Receiving Associate in Irving, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work isn't so bad
    flexible hours
    discount

Cons

wish we could get more hours.
    wish we could be able to grow more within the company

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Great pay. Great benefits. Good Perks. Professional atmosphere for those that pride themselves on their work and their career.

Cons

Little room for career advancement. There are a lot of people who retire from Neiman Marcus, which shows a lot about the company. The problem is, the ladder for advancement is often very crowded. In some cases, there is no room on the ladder.

Advice to Management

Provide a clear path for advancement. The hierarchy is somewhat clear, but less defined than needed. There is no defined path to advance your career unless you can relocate.

7. My experience Here was awesome.

Former Intern - Intern in Irving, TX
    Former Intern - Intern in Irving, TX

I worked at Neiman Marcus as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great location, the managers were great and the facilities were pretty good. Room to grow within the company.

Cons

Sometimes the environment was not as professional as I would have liked. Having to check in with security when you walk in and out the building.

8. work from home

Current Employee - Work At Home Customer Service in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Work At Home Customer Service in Irving, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus

Pros

great benefits
    no dress code
    working at home

Cons

not enough hours
    short training
    customer attitudes

Advice to Management

making advancement in company more available, raising pay

9. Good Company

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time

Pros

Good benefits and support when actively seeking help. For a commission based sales floor, teamwork was available with the right people.

Cons

Return policy and dealing with aggressive sales associates was the biggest challenge.

Advice to Management

Need to be more observant and coach good talent who needs extra guidance and support.

10. Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in Orla, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Orla, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus (Less than a year)

Pros

great Place to work
    Fun managers and co workers

Cons

Very busy on weekends
    Sometimes customers are rude

Advice to Management

Work hard

Executive Exposure

Current Employee - Love the Product in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Love the Product in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Merch discount, access to latest trends, fashions, vendors (brands). Some friendly people mostly mid-level management (VP) and below. Accessories, shoes, handbags, contemporary sportswear, swim. Lots to choose from, especially at 30/30 & 30/70!!

Cons

No movement above VP. Senior execs never leave or get offers for higher positions at other retailers (or designers). Culture very in-bred, CEO has never worked anywhere else, doesn't value critical thinking skills. Dual presidents running stores and online very confusing. Still not clear what pres/stores & Online is responsible for. So I follow the chief merchant's direction. In somewhat distorted "Moby-Dick" like mission to be "Omni-channel", roles and responsibilities get confusing. On paper it's clear but in reality it is not. Seems like I've been here for a millennium & we still don't have a common merchandising system for stores and online. Remember talking about this as far back as 2000, before online really existed just to get commonality between Stores and NM by Mail catalog. Still different systems and SKU's, and what's left of catalog (NM Mail) is soo different from Stores. Dowdy merchandise, different promo schedule, too much private label that seems like is always on sale. Stores are lovely, but sales associate competition is brutal! Wage system for store sales people is antiquated. While we've got the best merchandise, my friends at Nordstrom laugh when they here and see how things are done here. They've had common inventory system since 2000, SA earnings driven by STORE results, so common incentive to keep customer happy vs. here where each SA gets paid based on their own results. Have had "contests" to focus on store-wide sales, but they're a joke. Don't produce lasting change. As soon as contest or drive is over, it's back to each person for themselves. Another problem about moving upward is that company growth is limited. Excited about new store in NYC, but almost no other markets to put a new store. Every time we've tried to expand by new venture, we fail (Gift Galleries; CUSP -- supposed to grow into separate store chain, not a shop within shop; Horchow topped out -- don't even like stuff except for sheets and towels; big deal about going into China!! Even opened office and moved SVP over, but that went nowhere since we had no "strategy" beyond very simplistic mission statement, etc. Miss Elaine purchase (German catalog/online) -- seems like an old ladies store! And to think, we owned KATE SPADE and didn't do anything with it. We just let it run along. Why did it take the former Liz Claiborne (5th & Pacific) to put strategic emphasis and resources into transforming into lifestyle brand. Sound mean. For most part, we run best high end chain is US -- much better than Saks. But we're tapping out growth potential. SomI guess I'll get what I can and move on, which is what a lot of us are thinking (except those who are tied to Texas). Lastly, everyone was excited when we first went private in 2005. We all will get stock options, go public, make some money (made a little at first buy out, but top 5-7 people here made a boat lode then, again when investors paid themselves a dividend to drive up our debt even higher. No IPO. "Not enough growth potential" to support high enough valuation, so we're sold to another private investment firm and debt increases again (along with payouts, new contracts for top 4). I'm not a finance expert, but I don't see how we will ever grow big enough to pay down debt and go public again. This just makes thoughts of making a career here (along with other issues) much less desirable, unless you just want to stick to what you do day after day after year after year and eventually retire.

Advice to Management

Merchandise fashion continues to be great. Omni-channel mission is taking forever. Why didn't you make system changes back in early 2000's and phase in over time? And senior, senior mgmt has to start listening to ideas that may be different. Try drinking a new flavor of kool-aid. Just try. Stop with slogans and games!!! Embrace those of us with critical thinking skills and be open to new ideas instead of being afraid to change (albeit better than when BT was in charge). Tell us where and how we will grow to give existing people with upward mobility a chance to move up without a) waiting for current people to retire or b) try to get a job with Nordstrom or one of the designers!!! I think a lot would stay if we saw the light at end of the tunnel. Ms. Elaine isn't going to drive our growth.

RSS Feed </> Embed