Neiman Marcus

Neiman Marcus Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Neiman Marcus President, CEO, and Director Karen W. Katz

Karen W. Katz

Pros
  • Discount at Neimans, along with an amazing employee discount sale (up to 60 percent off)(in 26 reviews)

• good discount on many items in store(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management treats contractors like they are throw aways(in 16 reviews)

• Older sales associates are very stubborn to work with(in 15 reviews)

As an employee and customer, I believe N-M is the original and best RTW high-end retailer in the world.

Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsColleagues' integrity; standard of elegance/excellence. There is fierce competition in any retail environment but high level of intellect and fair pay. Constant insistence on staying six months ahead, both in merchandise selection/purchase and timely delivery of new inventory. Thoughtful assessment of reordering fast-moving stock and marking down slow-moving sku's.

ConsFor buyers —some overtime, usually on holidays. I worked at Neiman's before all systems were computerized. Writing orders with multiple carbons for numerous store locations was time-consuming. I recall several holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas) where I was invited to my boss's home for holiday meal, after which we would write orders up to our knees well into the morning hours. Still, great camaraderie and gratification.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am no longer working at N-M. When I was, however, I felt the management was stellar, albeit some with great power could be rather distant/unapproachable.

Great for commission based salary, but for starting management position the pay unethical.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Honolulu, HI

ProsFor commission based salaries the pay is great since sky is the limit. Just starting off as you build you clientele the pay is around $20/hr.
    Great place for employees discounts. Shorter work hours (37.5 hrs/wk). 1 hr lunch breaks.

ConsConstantly pushing for new credit card applicants. Older sales associates are very stubborn to work with. For commission based associates there are many gray areas when it comes to who's customer is who's. For example some associates think that just because you say hi to someone, the person automatically becomes your customer.
    When first starting off the training is very minimal and you are kind of thrown into your dept and it's either sink or swim for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you paid your clerical/coordinators more they would be more loyal and have more of a commitment to NM. $12/hr is just above minimum wage in Hawaii while a gallon of milk is $5.50 on sale. Executives (upper management) may not understand this because they are getting paid $80k to $100k+! So sad : (

Great Company

ProsSenior Management is great.
    Great retirement plan
    Great communication tool giving employees a work iphone
    HR great for solving issues with co.workers

ConsInsurance is expensive
    Childish gossip everyday;avoid these types of people.
    Not a lot of support, you learn by trial and error.
    Commissioned environment has its good and bad based on the economy, tough if its your only income.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost management is great, some really play favorites.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great name for a resume

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe discount is great, and you work with very talented people.

ConsThe environment I worked in was very toxic and the manager and VP of the department I was in have a reputation for targeting and bullying employees out.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn the trade of the employees you manage.

Wonderful place to work for smart, self starters!

ProsGreat exposure to many aspects of running a business, fosters an entrepreneurial spirit. Your experience can be what you make it, great or bad.

ConsRed tape, out dated training, bureaucratic/political corporate environment leads to unhappy and dissatisfied associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people fairly, understand when demanding unrealistic expectations.

Best employee discount!

ProsThe best discount for any retailer.

ConsThe hours and the benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdapting to change in our technological world is vital to the success of the company!

Probably best place if you have to be entirely commission based

ProsExceptional exclusive products to sell

ConsSneaky unhelpful sale stealing colleagues, Iet loose by management who care more about sales than fairness

boring

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

Proslearning more about new fashion during morning meetings

Consconstant pressure to meet unrealistic sale numbers, no traffic in bellevue store

Advice to Senior Managementless micro management

below average

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Prospotential clintelle relationships, based on commissions

Consbad hr, catty environment, deductable check if items are returned

Advice to Senior Managementcare about employees

Very very very crappy place to work for to many riding high horses if you know what i mean

Shipping (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsTo me theres really no pros or cons to the place i mean when they have alot of work you get alot of hours and and ok paycheck

ConsI didnt like the way they treated people and the supervisor and manager wouldnt see things the shipping employees way they would see it there way and there way only no questions asked

Advice to Senior ManagementYou people need to really look at what goes on in the shipping/packing department the supervisor and manager dont know how to do there job especially the supervisor how did you give that shmuck a job there

Worked for Neiman Marcus? Contribute to the Community!