Neiman Marcus

Neiman Marcus Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Neiman Marcus President, CEO, and Director Karen W. Katz

Karen W. Katz

Pros
  • Discount at Neimans, along with an amazing employee discount sale (up to 60 percent off) (in 26 reviews)

• good discount on many items in store (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management treats contractors like they are throw aways (in 16 reviews)

• Older sales associates are very stubborn to work with (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company....if....you drink the Kool-aid

Department Manager (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsFor the retail industry...No late nights. Wonderful staff to work with, excluding upper management and corporate

ConsSenior management....corporate!!!
    If you willing to just follow the leaders and be willing to be a puppet, over the years you will get your 3-5% raises and hopefully snag a better position. That's if senior management likes you enough, otherwise that will never happen. If you don't build relationships, quick, you won't last long. When it comes down to it, no matter how long you work for this company or relationships you build, if it comes down they will throw you to the wolves if need be.

Sales

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe hours for a retail job are good.

ConsA lot of in house fighting over sales. Management poorly trained and your rights as a employee are frequently trampled upon. HR is a nightmare. They really don't know what they are doing and people get a lot of misinformation.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealise that the people on the floor make your jobs possible.

Would not recommend for employment

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsBeautiful store in a nice town with top notch designer clothing and shoes.

ConsI am glad I am NOT alone : I agree with Nalick,MN: absolutely awful. misery, inducing place. Evil, Greedy, Backstabbing: Newport Beach claims racist.Honolulu: Jealous of new people, claims every customer that come in is already someones client. Smoke and Mirrors claims HORRIFIC work environment. A current employee sees the store executives as arrogant and condescending. If I had known about this site before hand, I would have thought twice.

Advice to Senior Managementwould not do any good to offer, not appreciated

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Negative- it is a corporate trap. Executives are solely focused on gross profit and resale of company.

Couture Sales (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsImmediate co-workers can be pleasant. Client relationship was the most rewarding and enjoyable.

ConsManagement- They need to train managers to understand the structure & reality of high profile sales and customers/clients. HR department in my store was very disorganized- could offer no insight, time line, advise to long term goals within the company and my personal growth. I joined "in-store" as I believe it is extremely important for corporate employees to have first-hand experience in the business they are in- however, I had plans to move forward into corporate and was promised that those opportunities would open to me after my first dedicated year of work in-store. I waited, and the opportunities were closed off to me due to my positive performance on the sales floor- i.e. they didn't want to lose the business that I was bringing in. My advice to anyone, is if you want to work in-store with the hopes of moving into corporate positions, be prepared to dedicate 2-3 years of in-store work- you will have to fight for yourself, no one, at least in my experience, will go up to bat for you. Everyone, so it seemed, in management were also in pursuit of the same corporate positions that you may seek- this company has an "every-man for himself" standard in my opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that Neiman Marcus would grow internally if they hired more managers who are NOT pursuing corporate "big-jobs." Nearly the entire management team in my store were a part of the "Executive Development Program" (EDP- internal program that consists of assistant-ships to buyers followed by in-store management-- their ultimate goals are to get into the buying or merchandising departments within corporate) which, while I see is very helpful to the individuals IN the program, it becomes very difficult to find true talent for management IN-store as NONE of them are actually interested in being in-store. They are continually looking for ways for to highlight themselves, rather than reward and help their departments. I think Neiman Marcus should focus on getting back to some it's "exclusive-roots"- they need to focus on hiring GREAT people, rather than MANY people.

Everything that glitters isn't gold

ProsIt's a great place to work if you want a career in the retail/fashion industry. Meet lots of people through store events and vendors. Your in charge of your own business and growth so if you aren't aggressive in sales and aren't liked it might not be for you. Discount good.

ConsNot enough traffic for new employees to establish clientele. 80% of current employees that work there are very seasoned so just imagine the customers. Employees are greedy since it's a commission environment. It's hard to acquire time-off. Pay is what you make it but it's not easy because most customers already have associates that they work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementAssist new employees with establishing clientele.

Doesn't treat IT contractors well

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsMost employees (in IT, not creatives who are snobs) are nice and accepting of contractors.

ConsCompany makes it seem like the so called "creatives" are the only ones that matter. Long hours. Upper management treats contractors like they are throw aways. Also moving a lot of IT jobs to India instead of giving higher salaries to people in their own country.

Good experiance

Operation Support Tech (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsAble to work from home.

Consno complaints about working at NM

Great place for Texas fashion industry job.

Assistant Buyer (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat detailed look into the fashion industry. Many opportunities to connect with people in the industry. People are always willing to help you.

ConsWork-life balance is not the most important to most people. TOO many job responsibilities for title and pay. The days never end.

NM is a GREAT place to work. The company strives to be the leading luxury retailer. Customer Service is a top priority

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Longview, TX

ProsThere is a sense of teamwork among divisions. There is an on site cafe and the discount is very generous (30%). All new hires are teamed up with a trainer in the warehouse. Those who go above and beyond are recognized each month. All associates are offered 401 K, medical/dental, LTD, and paid time off. The environment is clean, air conditioned, and professional. The facility closes at 6 PM so all associates can still have a life.

ConsIt is a production environment (for the majority of associates in the warehouse). You must maintain productivity and quality standards to keep your job. Warehouse associates must stand on their feet all day.
    Associates may have to work on some Saturdays (typically 6-9 per year). There are not a lot of career growth opportunities unless you are willing to relocate to Dallas, TX.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your associates EVERYDAY. They will work harder if you treat them as if they matter. Pay a competitive rate for all positions. Pay the associates with better production scores better than those who do the minimum to get by.

great

Sales Associate (Current Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsI liked the product knowledge, diversity, professionalism

ConsA con would be the commission

Advice to Senior Managementpay all associates hourly

Worked for Neiman Marcus? Contribute to the Community!