Neiman Marcus Reviews

Management

Current Employee - Management in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Management in Austin, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus

Pros

Excellent work/life balance with an upscale high end retailer. Operating hours are the best you will find for retail environment. Good opportunities for advancement if you work hard and always fair and professional. Being relocatable is very important to promote. Management team is fair but with high expectations.

Cons

Overall an enjoyable workplace environment however could stand to work to increase morale more effectively. Too much internal strife and feuding among departments.

manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus (More than 8 years)

Pros

The discounts, the opportunity for advancement, the people you meet, you can learn alot and develop many skills if you are interested in hard work.

Cons

Overtime the expectations grow but not resources or incentives. Its getting worse in the last call division. At my location general manager has unrealistic expectations and everyone seems to be a degree of unhappy due to her iron fist rule. Good people are leaving and looking to leave, even a few managers. The HR at this location is not to be trusted.

Advice to Management

Allow people to due their jobs they have been doing well for years, their is nothing wrong with wanting better, but everything is a process. STOP micromanaging everyone in everyway.

Sales

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time

Pros

30-50% discount. Sometimes even better deals on top brands

Cons

You are expandable. The company doesn't care about you

Advice to Management

Actually pay ur workers. Don't use us as free labor. Having to pay back arears is ridiculous!

Worst Place to Work

Current Employee - Assistant Site Merchandiser in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Site Merchandiser in Irving, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Standard holidays off. Standard benefits (health, dental, etc.). A few good apples in the bunch. Good entry-level place to start off after college (only to start off because you learn a bit about how an e-commerce business operates).

Cons

Terrible culture. Rude employees. Terrible bosses (not positive leaders). Negative employees. Low low low pay. Terrible earned vacation hours. The online team is the worst. Only a few good apples in the bunch of rotten apples. In my experience, my boss did not display positive leadership. The boss made inappropriate jokes about their employees. The boss was negative towards the "team" and the business. The boss was caddy. The boss was very rude. The boss would cuss during group meetings. Would often receive unprofessional emails late in the night regarding the business. Instead of teaching or leading in a positive manner, the emails were written as if the boss was yelling at the "team". One co-worker was rude and continued to try and throw me under the bus to my boss. Instead of working as a teammate, she would just ask me questions about what I was doing. I'd answer. Instead of correcting me (if there was another way of doing things) she would just send an email to my boss. I found this out due to an error made by my boss. The boss included my co-worker's email in the email to me. I thought it was interesting because the co-worker could have just easily explained the process and we would be fine. This particular co-worker has continued to have attitude with me. Once, I was helping a new employee, and this co-worker rolled her eyes at me because I was trying to help. She thought I was 'stepping on her toes' because the boss put her "in charge" of training. I wasn't even trying to train the new person. I was simply trying to work as a team and explain the process in the way I found easiest. In other words, this co-worker seemed to be threatened by me. Not sure why. She was also very bossy. She did not have the right to be 'bossy' because we are equals. There has been other instances too where my co-worker was rude. I have heard her talking behind my back... she was in the cube next to me. Also, the boss and the co-worker were very close. The boss always took the awful co-worker's side... A boss should NEVER take someone's side. All of the situations I have been through while at Neiman Marcus Online has caused me to not feel comfortable in the environment. I have many ideas on how to improve the business, but because I cannot be myself. And because they are not open to new ideas... I have decided to just keep my mouth shut since they really won't do anything or take any words of advice. I really could write a novel about my bad experiences... Word of advice, if you want to work here and are a down-to-earth person, just stay here a minimum of a year. This place would be terrible for a long term career. Plus, it could be damaging to your mental health. (* Note * referring to my boss as 'the boss' to not reveal gender identify. I also put quotations around "team" because the "team" wasn't really a team)

Advice to Management

Hire accepting, kind, and caring people. Fire the management and employees who are rude, judgmental, and caddy. If someone is rude to their employees, or a co-worker is rude, they should be reprimanded for it. This company would be truly great if the culture was great. Also, listen to everyone's ideas. A newbie may have some really great, company-changing, advice!

sales consultant

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Neiman Marcus (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful Ambiance, Great Clients, Good Working Hours for Retail Discounts on most Merchandise

Cons

Part Commission based so you need to build up a Clientele. Lots of Turnover from most Departments. Management can be very rude at times and no Team Playing

Advice to Management

Select better Candidates, Adhere to CA Break Rules

Sales Associate

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time

Pros

Great Discount, Decent Pay, benefits, fun events, and progressive company.

Cons

Full Commission sales in a retail environment can be tough. Even if you sell well many other associates will steal sales and cheat to get ahead. Situations are not diffused by department managers and they don't care as long as the department is making money.

Advice to Management

Department Managers: Understand sales are your employees livelihood. Handle situations and do not reward associates who steal sales. You'll end up driving away the good employees.

8. Loss prevention investigator

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Investigator in Frontenac, MO
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Investigator in Frontenac, MO

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, great atmosphere, competitive salaries.

Cons

Full time is not the standard 40hrs one would be accustomed to.

Advice to Management

Stay competitive

9. unhappy but very good pay

Former Employee - Product Specialist in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GOOD pay(depending on which department) and benefits!

Cons

My department manager was not a good manager and rude. This made my workload and working environment bad. Work was not fairly assigned. People took away my customers when I was off or doing side jobs, but our salaries were commission based. So if you want to work for this company, be tough! However, I heard that some managers in other departments were very nice and flexible, and they did not allow any these situations happen in their departments.

Most boring job I've ever worked.

Former Employee - Children's World ­ Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Children's World ­ Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Hours Decent discount if you can afford to shop there (you can't on what they pay you) Free company phone

Cons

The job is very over promised, you wont make nearly as much money as they tell you you will. Very boring, you'll spend your entire 8 hour day doing nothing half the time. Pay is poor because you're working for commission, but there needs to be business to make commission. Very competitive when it doesn't have to be, associates are bored so they get into each other's personal business.

Advice to Management

Be honest about what this job is. Not everyone is willing to wait 5-10 years to build that clientele to really start seeing the job pay off. posing your employees against each other is no way to run a successful business

11. Alice in Wonderland

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Neiman Marcus (Less than a year)

Pros

Deep employee discounts. nothing much else to say

Cons

no room for employee feedback, highly political, whatever common sense tells you-do the opposite to survive, must keep your opinions to yourself. unsupportive management, uneasy uncaring associates.

Advice to Management

Clean house, integrate technology into online and POS transactions, adhere to company values,

RSS Feed </> Embed