Neiman Marcus

Updated October 15, 2014
3.1

Neiman Marcus President, CEO, and Director Karen W. Katz
Karen W. Katz

Pros
  • Besides the obvious employee discount, those who work in the Call Center become more like family (in 28 reviews)

• You get great discount on everything in the store (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • There is always, always stuff coming back, even for the top sales associates (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management will not give you the benefit of the doubt in any case (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company....if....you drink the Kool-aid

Former Employee - Department Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

For the retail industry...No late nights. Wonderful staff to work with, excluding upper management and corporate

Cons

Senior management....corporate!!!
    If you willing to just follow the leaders and be willing to be a puppet, over the years you will get your 3-5% raises and hopefully snag a better position. That's if senior management likes you enough, otherwise that will never happen. If you don't build relationships, quick, you won't last long. When it comes down to it, no matter how long you work for this company or relationships you build, if it comes down they will throw you to the wolves if need be.

Sales

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The hours for a retail job are good.

Cons

A lot of in house fighting over sales. Management poorly trained and your rights as a employee are frequently trampled upon. HR is a nightmare. They really don't know what they are doing and people get a lot of misinformation.

Realise that the people on the floor make your jobs possible.

Would not recommend for employment

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Beautiful store in a nice town with top notch designer clothing and shoes.

Cons

I am glad I am NOT alone : I agree with Nalick,MN: absolutely awful. misery, inducing place. Evil, Greedy, Backstabbing: Newport Beach claims racist.Honolulu: Jealous of new people, claims every customer that come in is already someones client. Smoke and Mirrors claims HORRIFIC work environment. A current employee sees the store executives as arrogant and condescending. If I had known about this site before hand, I would have thought twice.

would not do any good to offer, not appreciated

reall good

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Neiman Marcus part-time (more than an year)

Pros

good p[lace to be in the people are cool

Cons

to far not enough money

care more

Negative- it is a corporate trap. Executives are solely focused on gross profit and resale of company.

Former Employee - Couture Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Couture Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Immediate co-workers can be pleasant. Client relationship was the most rewarding and enjoyable.

Cons

Management- They need to train managers to understand the structure & reality of high profile sales and customers/clients. HR department in my store was very disorganized- could offer no insight, time line, advise to long term goals within the company and my personal growth. I joined "in-store" as I believe it is extremely important for corporate employees to have first-hand experience in the business they are in- however, I had plans to move forward into corporate and was promised that those opportunities would open to me after my first dedicated year of work in-store. I waited, and the opportunities were closed off to me due to my positive performance on the sales floor- i.e. they didn't want to lose the business that I was bringing in. My advice to anyone, is if you want to work in-store with the hopes of moving into corporate positions, be prepared to dedicate 2-3 years of in-store work- you will have to fight for yourself, no one, at least in my experience, will go up to bat for you. Everyone, so it seemed, in management were also in pursuit of the same corporate positions that you may seek- this company has an "every-man for himself" standard in my opinion.

I believe that Neiman Marcus would grow internally if they hired more managers who are NOT pursuing corporate "big-jobs." Nearly the entire management team in my store were a part of the "Executive Development Program" (EDP- internal program that consists of assistant-ships to buyers followed by in-store management-- their ultimate goals are to get into the buying or merchandising departments within corporate) which, while I see is very helpful to the individuals IN the program, it becomes very difficult to find true talent for management IN-store as NONE of them are actually interested in being in-store. They are continually looking for ways for to highlight themselves, rather than reward and help their departments. I think Neiman Marcus should focus on getting back to some it's "exclusive-roots"- they need to focus on hiring GREAT people, rather than MANY people.

Everything that glitters isn't gold

I have been working at Neiman Marcus

Pros

It's a great place to work if you want a career in the retail/fashion industry. Meet lots of people through store events and vendors. Your in charge of your own business and growth so if you aren't aggressive in sales and aren't liked it might not be for you. Discount good.

Cons

Not enough traffic for new employees to establish clientele. 80% of current employees that work there are very seasoned so just imagine the customers. Employees are greedy since it's a commission environment. It's hard to acquire time-off. Pay is what you make it but it's not easy because most customers already have associates that they work with.

Assist new employees with establishing clientele.

Unpredictable environment

Former Employee - Visual Trimer in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Visual Trimer in White Plains, NY

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Fashion. Great Fashion and Visual Directers

Cons

Abusive Environment.Not very supportive

NM is a GREAT place to work. The company strives to be the leading luxury retailer. Customer Service is a top priority

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longview, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longview, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is a sense of teamwork among divisions. There is an on site cafe and the discount is very generous (30%). All new hires are teamed up with a trainer in the warehouse. Those who go above and beyond are recognized each month. All associates are offered 401 K, medical/dental, LTD, and paid time off. The environment is clean, air conditioned, and professional. The facility closes at 6 PM so all associates can still have a life.

Cons

It is a production environment (for the majority of associates in the warehouse). You must maintain productivity and quality standards to keep your job. Warehouse associates must stand on their feet all day.
    Associates may have to work on some Saturdays (typically 6-9 per year). There are not a lot of career growth opportunities unless you are willing to relocate to Dallas, TX.

Talk to your associates EVERYDAY. They will work harder if you treat them as if they matter. Pay a competitive rate for all positions. Pay the associates with better production scores better than those who do the minimum to get by.

Operations manager at distribution center

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Clean, temperature controlled environment. Has enough supply budget to order the tools you need. Recognized brand name. Lots of pizza parties and doughnuts.

Cons

Not enough pay for associates. Too much pay for tenured managers. Seems like upper management turns their head to the erratic behavior of their seasoned staff. No accountability for the rules. HR runs the building and is a total nightmare.

Consider employee engagement survey and raise the starting salary for associates.

great

Current Employee - Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I liked the product knowledge, diversity, professionalism

Cons

A con would be the commission

pay all associates hourly

Neiman Marcus Photos

Outside of historic Neiman Marcus Headquarters and flagship store in Dallas. (Photo attributed to Dfwcre8tive - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 & GFDL, version 1.2)
NM Cafe