Nektar Therapeutics

Be The First To
Add Photos

Nektar Therapeutics President, CEO, and Director Howard W. Robin

Howard W. Robin

After a month, I am extremely happy. Good business culture.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI actually look forward to coming into work, which hasn't happened for me in a while.

ConsLots of experienced people from big pharma/biotech with great ideas, which can make it difficult to settle on a common path. However, people are very open-minded and professional.

Biggest mistake of my entire career was working at Nektar

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsThere are some good people working within the Huntsville facility.
    The pay is pretty decent.

ConsManagement is horrendous. They care far more about themselves than the employees. Employees are encouraged to do their best or else they will be fired immediately is the feel. Most people within the Huntsville facility that I spoke with feared for their jobs and were afraid of upper management. I would never, ever work here again.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to get over yourself and listen to your employees. Most of the practices are very unethical and too many behind closed door deals and happenings are occurring.

Crisis management with 20/20 hindsight.

Scientist (Former Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsThe people are great and the work was interesting.

ConsManagement cares more about being told they're right than truth. Anyone who speaks up and is critical of management faces retaliation.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring managers on how they act towards you and start hiring ability.
    Accept that your decisions could have been better and don't be afraid to change your mind based on new data.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disconnected

CRA (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation is decent but not worth the lack of appreciation from upper management.

ConsIt's all in who you know, not what you accomplish

Advice to Senior ManagementReach out to the whole team, not just the top tier if you really want to know what is going on in your company.

24/7 live to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFree snacks, bagels on payday, receptionist is very nice and other groups are nice.

ConsThere are many cons here: contractors are treated better than employees, CEO is not respected, VPs are overly aggressive and like to yell in meetings, you're promoted not for the work you do but how well you can play the game there, you're expected to respond to emails at all hours and if you don't it's held against you, full day of meetings means staying in the office 10-12 hours a day to get your work done, micromanagement is the norm and there is no development at all. The worst part is HR is there to protect VP and above and not the workers. Turn over is extremely high, even for the bay area.

Everyone was really nice, I thought it was a great environment to work in

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat work environment and very supportive

ConsI only worked there while the original admin was on maternity leave. I did not see any cons in my time there.

A fast-paced teamwork environment that challenges you to be your best

Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsA friendly and fun environment with great culture and diversity of expertise that allows for employees to not only enhance their skill set, but broaden work and business knowledge through working with highly skilled employees. I've been in Clinical Operations for almost two years and have had the great pleasure of working with cross-functional groups who are always willing to share their experience and advice. The different departments within the company collaborate effectively, efficiently, and work towards the same common goal, which reflects the vision of the company and it's leadership. From the first phone interview to each semi-annual performance review, passion and professionalism is not only seen, but felt by prospective candidates and employees.

The Clinical Operations department holds quarterly all-hands meetings where different programs share their study status, experiences, challenges, and lessons learned. Information is shared to improve efficiencies and quality of conduct and management of clinical trials. There are also cross functional speakers to broaden general industry knowledge-- from preclinical to biostats, we have access to a great deal of knowledge shared by department leaders.

I've clearly communicated my expectations and goals to my manager, who has tactfully mentored me to achieve my goals. Nektar values hard work and merit, and it does not go unnoticed or unrewarded.

This is a small-ish company doing big company things at a very rapid pace, but with utmost quality and care. A great company to work for for those who enjoy being challenged in their careers. There is never a shortage of work to be done, which gives me a sense of belonging, importance, and most of all, job security. The benefits package also reflects the caliber of this company and how much Nektar values their long term investment in employees. Communcation of the corporate vision, research pipeline and future from senior management has been very transparent since I've started employment here. I've not worked for a company where I could honestly say that before.

ConsAt busy times, my days are meeting-heavy, but this only helped to strengthen my skills in time management and productivity.

Challenging and rewarding

ProsOpportunities to move around within the company matrix

ConsShort on real time job training

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek to provide on the job training to help employees succeed and thrive

Working at Nektar

Research Associate II (Current Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsGreat Company to work for. Benifits are amazing. Pay is rock solid. Opportunities are fantastic and the people are the best i have ever worked with!

ConsHuntsville Al isn't exactly the most interesting place to work. The summers here are unbearably hot and the city has very little to offer in the way of entertainment.

Advice to Senior ManagementWeed out the one or ones that have brought down moral. There is one in particular at the HSV site that has a very high turnover rate and one would think Upper Management would get a clue as to the real problem.

Good place, but lots of competitions

A Scientist (Current Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsNKTR is a great up and comping company, with great benefits, and lots of learning opportunites for new techniques .
    This company will let you get lots accomplished--the sky is the limit.

ConsDid not get to move up to new position title. Very much competitions between people.
    High expectations with large workloads.

Advice to Senior ManagementListin to your employees when they ask for help with project.

Worked for Nektar Therapeutics? Contribute to the Community!