Nektar Therapeutics

3.2

Nektar Therapeutics President, CEO, and Director Howard W. Robin
Howard W. Robin

Rock solid pay, innovative environment, knowledgeable colleagues

Current Employee - Biochemist ( Senior Process Development Engineer)  in  Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Biochemist ( Senior Process Development Engineer) in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Nektar Therapeutics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Rock solid pay, innovative environment, knowledgeable colleagues

Cons

Business is uncertain due to market conditions.

Feeling valued while doing important and challenging work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nektar Therapeutics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wow, I was surprised and saddened to read such negative reviews from the Huntsville facility. I wish those folks could transfer to SF--my experience has been uniformly positive at Nektar in SF. My management team continually expresses how much they value our department's contributions. I really enjoy coming to work; I have great colleagues and the work is challenging, interesting, and even fun at times. The pace is fast while at work, but my management completely supports work-life balance, unlike other companies I have worked for. Even the labs and building facilities are nice, being so new.

Cons

Benefits are good overall but 401k match is poor. It would be nice to have management support for additional benefits like charitable donation matching.

There is a lack of transparency about pipeline development for employees outside of R&D, and how the company is doing as a whole.

Communicate company milestones more frequently (maybe monthly or every other month)--e-mail is OK; don't have to wait for all-hands meetings to do so.

Biggest mistake of my entire career was working at Nektar

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Nektar Therapeutics full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are some good people working within the Huntsville facility.
    The pay is pretty decent.

Cons

Management is horrendous. They care far more about themselves than the employees. Employees are encouraged to do their best or else they will be fired immediately is the feel. Most people within the Huntsville facility that I spoke with feared for their jobs and were afraid of upper management. I would never, ever work here again.

You need to get over yourself and listen to your employees. Most of the practices are very unethical and too many behind closed door deals and happenings are occurring.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Crisis management with 20/20 hindsight.

Former Employee - Scientist  in  Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Scientist in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Nektar Therapeutics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are great and the work was interesting.

Cons

Management cares more about being told they're right than truth. Anyone who speaks up and is critical of management faces retaliation.

Stop hiring managers on how they act towards you and start hiring ability.
    Accept that your decisions could have been better and don't be afraid to change your mind based on new data.

After a month, I am extremely happy. Good business culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nektar Therapeutics full-time for less than a year

Pros

I actually look forward to coming into work, which hasn't happened for me in a while.

Cons

Lots of experienced people from big pharma/biotech with great ideas, which can make it difficult to settle on a common path. However, people are very open-minded and professional.

Disconnected

Former Employee - CRA
    Former Employee - CRA

I worked at Nektar Therapeutics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation is decent but not worth the lack of appreciation from upper management.

Cons

It's all in who you know, not what you accomplish

Reach out to the whole team, not just the top tier if you really want to know what is going on in your company.

24/7 live to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nektar Therapeutics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free snacks, bagels on payday, receptionist is very nice and other groups are nice.

Cons

There are many cons here: contractors are treated better than employees, CEO is not respected, VPs are overly aggressive and like to yell in meetings, you're promoted not for the work you do but how well you can play the game there, you're expected to respond to emails at all hours and if you don't it's held against you, full day of meetings means staying in the office 10-12 hours a day to get your work done, micromanagement is the norm and there is no development at all. The worst part is HR is there to protect VP and above and not the workers. Turn over is extremely high, even for the bay area.

Everyone was really nice, I thought it was a great environment to work in

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nektar Therapeutics part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment and very supportive

Cons

I only worked there while the original admin was on maternity leave. I did not see any cons in my time there.

A fast-paced teamwork environment that challenges you to be your best

Current Employee - Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nektar Therapeutics full-time for more than a year

Pros

A friendly and fun environment with great culture and diversity of expertise that allows for employees to not only enhance their skill set, but broaden work and business knowledge through working with highly skilled employees. I've been in Clinical Operations for almost two years and have had the great pleasure of working with cross-functional groups who are always willing to share their experience and advice. The different departments within the company collaborate effectively, efficiently, and work towards the same common goal, which reflects the vision of the company and it's leadership. From the first phone interview to each semi-annual performance review, passion and professionalism is not only seen, but felt by prospective candidates and employees.

The Clinical Operations department holds quarterly all-hands meetings where different programs share their study status, experiences, challenges, and lessons learned. Information is shared to improve efficiencies and quality of conduct and management of clinical trials. There are also cross functional speakers to broaden general industry knowledge-- from preclinical to biostats, we have access to a great deal of knowledge shared by department leaders.

I've clearly communicated my expectations and goals to my manager, who has tactfully mentored me to achieve my goals. Nektar values hard work and merit, and it does not go unnoticed or unrewarded.

This is a small-ish company doing big company things at a very rapid pace, but with utmost quality and care. A great company to work for for those who enjoy being challenged in their careers. There is never a shortage of work to be done, which gives me a sense of belonging, importance, and most of all, job security. The benefits package also reflects the caliber of this company and how much Nektar values their long term investment in employees. Communcation of the corporate vision, research pipeline and future from senior management has been very transparent since I've started employment here. I've not worked for a company where I could honestly say that before.

Cons

At busy times, my days are meeting-heavy, but this only helped to strengthen my skills in time management and productivity.

Challenging and rewarding

I have been working at Nektar Therapeutics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunities to move around within the company matrix

Cons

Short on real time job training

Seek to provide on the job training to help employees succeed and thrive

Worked for Nektar Therapeutics? Contribute to the Community!