Nelnet

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Nelnet Chairman and Co-CEO Mike Dunlap

Mike Dunlap

Up and down!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Nelnet full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe people are what made this a great place to work. Salary is decent but raises are low. Some of the managers knew how to manage.

ConsToo top heavy. Some managers managed by fear, would not listen to differing opinions.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you have employees that know their job, don't micro manage them.

Overall, good professional experience, but I would never work in the same department again.

Payroll & Benefits Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Nelnet full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat employee wellness incentives, good work-life balance, encouraged going to seminars and taking classes to better knowledge, and a lot of food days

ConsDepartment was very "catty" (including management), little opportunity for advancement, and it seemed they would try to take advantage of you if you didn't stand up for yourself

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to handle things more professionally and less personally

Won't be the last place you work, but a good place to start.

I have been working at Nelnet full-time for more than a year

ProsNice benefits and bonuses based on performance. You are rewarded for working harder than your peers. Good communication and transparency from upper management. You know how your position contributes to the company's success, and they do a good job of sharing the wealth. Friendly company culture, and they are very flexible with school schedules. Nelnet offers a good first experience in a professional setting.

ConsVery little opportunity for advancement, high turnover, constant change in policies, and ineffective middle management.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more attention to employee needs would go a long ways towards lowering the turnover rates. The facilities (bathroom, break room) are terrible. You also pay people to create and run an amazing company portal, but no one has time to read it. And the corrective action policy needs completely revamped. A flu and one bad call score in a month is a fatal combination at Nelnet.

Great place to work.

I have been working at Nelnet full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNelnet has a great company culture, building relationships with coworkers is important. The focus on customers throughout the company and at all levels gives real value to what we do each day.

ConsThe organization is very conservative in many ways, and that sometimes makes it difficult to meet goals, as well as keep good people. Many of our top notch people leave for higher salaries elsewhere.

Great Opportunity to Learn, Grow and Develop as a Leader

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nelnet full-time for more than 8 years

Pros• Focus on leadership development through education reimbursement, company-sponsored training and internal/external opportunities for training and leadership
• The company invests in employees' health through a robust wellness program that rewards healthy living
• Forward-thinking, innovative executive leadership
• Large, publicly-traded company with great benefits, including generous time off
• Open, transparent culture without a lot of hierarchy
• Decisions are made quickly without a lot of red tape to hold back progress
• Performance based focus means reward for drive, ambition and proven success

Cons• Fast-paced culture is not a great fit for everyone
• As with many companies, being asked to do more with less--must be good at prioritizing and nimble with making changes
• Large government contract means a higher level of security compliance and process

Advice to Senior Management• Continue to listen to those on the front lines. That has been a priority in the past; and has helped make a lot of positive change.
• The focus on wellness and leadership development is refreshing
• Perhaps toot our own horn a little more about all the ways we give back to the community

Satisfied

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nelnet full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat culture; annual performance incentives and project bonuses

ConsNot much career growth or development

Student Loan Advisor

Student Loan Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nelnet full-time for more than a year

ProsSome of the other employees are good to work with. They feed you occasionally, and offer fun incentives for time off and dress down.

ConsThe required five hours of overtime weekly, and occasional Saturday or Sunday, for the last nine months.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire enough people to take care of the loans you have before taking on more, and overwhelming all of your employees. This is the reason people are quitting.

I really wouldn't recommend it

Phone Advisor (Former Employee)
Aurora, CO

I worked at Nelnet full-time for more than a year

Pros- GREAT commuter benefits. For a person who doesn't have a car and utilizes public transportation to get to work, having an ECOpass offered was absolutely amazing.
- Can't really think of anything else, to be honest

Cons- Middle and upper management does not have a clear understanding of what most of the customer service reps actually do. They set unrealistic expectations and goals which are difficult (if not completely possible) to reach.

- Ever-increasing workloads. When I started, expectations were relatively reasonable. As time went on, management/upper management thought it would be a good idea to continue piling on responsibilities, even when it was fairly obvious that people were burning out.

- Medical benefits packages were a complete joke. No copay option for single employees. Everything was very expensive, and most costs were out of pocket unless you needed a serious procedure. We were also required to go through a health screening at our jobsite, which was more than a bit invasive as well as embarrassing. In addition to all of this, we were also encouraged to lead healthy lifestyles (which is great), but then on busier days management instituted mandatory 30 minute lunch hours, and they would 'reward' us with fried chicken and pizza.

- Mandatory overtime. I'm not sure how this was even legal, but during the busy season, we were required to work a set amount of overtime, which usually ended up being around 5 hours per week. This doesn't sound like much, however after several months of this (This past year they started us at the end of December and went through to at least April) it ended up being very draining on morale in general.

- Very little communication from management. Most of the time you wouldn't know you were doing anything wrong until you were yelled at for it.

- Odd earned time off "benefit." You received approximately 5 hours per paycheque which went into a bank of available time to take off. This accrued rather quickly, however you were expected to basically 'bid' for chunks of time off among everyone else on the floor. You could only request time off 90 prior to the date which you would like off, which makes planning vacations in advance next to impossible. Most of the time we were actively encouraged to NOT take time off.

- Office drama. There was a fair amount of 'infighting' between teams, particularly the managers of those teams. Most times it felt like working in a high school which you also attend. Keep in mind most of the people working here are adults in their mid 40s and up.

- Favoritism ran absolutely rampant. You could be one of the most dependable hard working people on the floor, but if a manager didn't like you, you were treated like a second-class citizen. Certain employees were allowed to coast by with inferior output (such as call volume, etc), whereas harder workers were just pushed harder. Basically, the more you did, the more that was expected of you, and if you couldn't keep up with management's expectations, you were spoken to about it.

- Little or no advancement opportunities. You really had to have an "in" with management to be promoted. I saw very capable, kind and hardworking people passed up for advancement time and time again because one or more managers just didn't like them.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together. There is a clear reason why turnaround is so rampant at this place. You need to treat your employees with respect and fairness, or you're going to lose them.

Your career path is up to you

Network Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nelnet full-time for more than a year

ProsBeing a for-profit, performance-based company, those that excel will be compensated.
Nelnet is good at contributing to the community.
They have an interest in family well-being (personal time vs work hours).

ConsBusiness model highly dependent upon government regulations that could change at every election.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdditional focus on diversification.

Nelnet will is unlawful, sketchy, unprofessional and discriminates its employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIts a job thats it

ConsLack of communication and s.
Leadership will go behind employees backs and have little job knowledge
Promotions are determined by who you know
Females get special treatment

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire supervisors that don't even know what a student loan is. If you do one thing for an employee than do the same for all employees.

Worked for Nelnet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nelnet reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nelnet CEO Mike Dunlap. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by Nelnet employees.