Nelnet

Nelnet Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Nelnet Chairman and Co-CEO Mike Dunlap

Mike Dunlap

Pros
  • The company is genuinely concerned with work/life balance, wellness and employee well-being(in 6 reviews)

• There are a few good benefits, but those are offset by the lousy pay(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle and upper management does not have a clear understanding of what most of the customer service reps actually do(in 6 reviews)

• If you are hired as a "loan advisor" ( fancy term for customer service) It is non-stop(in 3 reviews)

Great Opportunity to Learn, Grow and Develop as a Leader

Director (Current Employee) Lincoln, NE

Pros• Focus on leadership development through education reimbursement, company-sponsored training and internal/external opportunities for training and leadership
    • The company invests in employees' health through a robust wellness program that rewards healthy living
    • Forward-thinking, innovative executive leadership
    • Large, publicly-traded company with great benefits, including generous time off
    • Open, transparent culture without a lot of hierarchy
    • Decisions are made quickly without a lot of red tape to hold back progress
    • Performance based focus means reward for drive, ambition and proven success

Cons• Fast-paced culture is not a great fit for everyone
    • As with many companies, being asked to do more with less--must be good at prioritizing and nimble with making changes
    • Large government contract means a higher level of security compliance and process

Advice to Senior Management• Continue to listen to those on the front lines. That has been a priority in the past; and has helped make a lot of positive change.
    • The focus on wellness and leadership development is refreshing
    • Perhaps toot our own horn a little more about all the ways we give back to the community

Satisfied

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGreat culture; annual performance incentives and project bonuses

ConsNot much career growth or development

Student Loan Advisor

Student Loan Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsSome of the other employees are good to work with. They feed you occasionally, and offer fun incentives for time off and dress down.

ConsThe required five hours of overtime weekly, and occasional Saturday or Sunday, for the last nine months.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire enough people to take care of the loans you have before taking on more, and overwhelming all of your employees. This is the reason people are quitting.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I really wouldn't recommend it

Phone Advisor (Former Employee) Aurora, CO

Pros- GREAT commuter benefits. For a person who doesn't have a car and utilizes public transportation to get to work, having an ECOpass offered was absolutely amazing.
    - Can't really think of anything else, to be honest

Cons- Middle and upper management does not have a clear understanding of what most of the customer service reps actually do. They set unrealistic expectations and goals which are difficult (if not completely possible) to reach.

- Ever-increasing workloads. When I started, expectations were relatively reasonable. As time went on, management/upper management thought it would be a good idea to continue piling on responsibilities, even when it was fairly obvious that people were burning out.

- Medical benefits packages were a complete joke. No copay option for single employees. Everything was very expensive, and most costs were out of pocket unless you needed a serious procedure. We were also required to go through a health screening at our jobsite, which was more than a bit invasive as well as embarrassing. In addition to all of this, we were also encouraged to lead healthy lifestyles (which is great), but then on busier days management instituted mandatory 30 minute lunch hours, and they would 'reward' us with fried chicken and pizza.

- Mandatory overtime. I'm not sure how this was even legal, but during the busy season, we were required to work a set amount of overtime, which usually ended up being around 5 hours per week. This doesn't sound like much, however after several months of this (This past year they started us at the end of December and went through to at least April) it ended up being very draining on morale in general.

- Very little communication from management. Most of the time you wouldn't know you were doing anything wrong until you were yelled at for it.

- Odd earned time off "benefit." You received approximately 5 hours per paycheque which went into a bank of available time to take off. This accrued rather quickly, however you were expected to basically 'bid' for chunks of time off among everyone else on the floor. You could only request time off 90 prior to the date which you would like off, which makes planning vacations in advance next to impossible. Most of the time we were actively encouraged to NOT take time off.

- Office drama. There was a fair amount of 'infighting' between teams, particularly the managers of those teams. Most times it felt like working in a high school which you also attend. Keep in mind most of the people working here are adults in their mid 40s and up.

- Favoritism ran absolutely rampant. You could be one of the most dependable hard working people on the floor, but if a manager didn't like you, you were treated like a second-class citizen. Certain employees were allowed to coast by with inferior output (such as call volume, etc), whereas harder workers were just pushed harder. Basically, the more you did, the more that was expected of you, and if you couldn't keep up with management's expectations, you were spoken to about it.

- Little or no advancement opportunities. You really had to have an "in" with management to be promoted. I saw very capable, kind and hardworking people passed up for advancement time and time again because one or more managers just didn't like them.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together. There is a clear reason why turnaround is so rampant at this place. You need to treat your employees with respect and fairness, or you're going to lose them.

Your career path is up to you

Network Engineer (Current Employee) Lincoln, NE

ProsBeing a for-profit, performance-based company, those that excel will be compensated.
    Nelnet is good at contributing to the community.
    They have an interest in family well-being (personal time vs work hours).

ConsBusiness model highly dependent upon government regulations that could change at every election.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdditional focus on diversification.

Nelnet will is unlawful, sketchy, unprofessional and discriminates its employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIts a job thats it

ConsLack of communication and s.
    Leadership will go behind employees backs and have little job knowledge
    Promotions are determined by who you know
    Females get special treatment

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire supervisors that don't even know what a student loan is. If you do one thing for an employee than do the same for all employees.

Great employees but horrible place to work.

Account Executive (Former Employee) Lincoln, NE

ProsThe employees are great to work for and you make a decent pay.

ConsThe upper management is no good. They are not speedy and they set back and let the employees do all the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off your buts and make this a better company.

Okay job, but you can do better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCamaraderie amongst employees
    Learn about federal student loans
    Great ETO

ConsMicro-managed
    High stress environment
    Lack of upward mobility
    Lack of benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementStop managing everything to the lowest common demoninator. Get rid of the good old boys network and start promoting the people who actually get the work done, not just the ones who are 'in'.

Friendly coworkers and management, the work can get repetitive but if you push yourself every day you're rewarded.

Account Manager (Current Employee) Lincoln, NE

ProsOpen door policy with management, monthly feed back is given and there is upward mobility if you are motivated. As an employee you are encouraged to provide feed back to your immediate supervisor and can take it up the chain if your concerns aren't addressed.

ConsThe work can get tedious and repetitive, and the monthly push to meet performance metrics and still meet the commission requirements can become stressful.

try to hold out for a better job

DM Collector (Former Employee) Lincoln, NE

ProsCamaraderie among entry level collectors/customer service reps
    Gain much knowledge about federal student loans
    The ability to reach out and help someone understand and manage their loans

ConsMicro-managed
    High stress environment
    Lack of upward mobility
    CEOs not in touch with employees on the front lines.

As a new-hire, my training class was pushed out a full week early, which made going on the phones that more stress-inducing. We are told to ignore what the customer is saying and demand payment as least four times, and that assistance such as deferments and forbearance are given at the discretion of agent. People are generally rude and/or confused about their benefits- very little is done to educate them early on about what their student loan actually entails. I worked both in default management and enrollment processing, and there needs to be some cross-training as ep and dm are often confused about why the other does what it does. The extreme intervention team that attempts to save severely delinquent loans only concerns themselves with loans that come from the department of education, because of the juicy govt contract.

Your personal background in regards to education doesn't make much of a difference. I was assigned under a supervisor that was hired 1 month after I was, and he had no experience with loans, and would want his team to rake in all the money but hadn't actually gone on the phones himself. Nice guy, but sitting with someone for an hour or two listening to phone calls doesn't make you an expert.

Also if hired for DM, you have a specific amount of payments and resolves and if you don't make those, you can get your ass in a trap fast. Often times, we were expected to dial out manually and this made resolving or asking for payment very difficult. We were also expected to catch overflow from the customer service reps, who deal with anything not delinquent up to 30 days past due. Even if you take a payment and/or resolve one of these accounts it is not factored into your commission or payment to resolve ratio.As there are many people dialing out to delinquent borrowers the managers and sups are happy when the a.s.a is three minutes or under.

tl:dr

For the whole time I worked there, I pretty much went to bed hoping I wouldn't wake up the next morning.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to make a miserable job better. Taking away the ability to read, knit, draw, or find something else to do besides contemplating strangling yourself with your headset's cord was a real disservice. The only good thing about the all company meeting is the fact that we got out of taking calls for awhile.

Worked for Nelnet? Contribute to the Community!