Nemacolin Woodlands

Updated November 4, 2014
Updated November 4, 2014
3.3

CEO

Excellent Family run business!

Former Employee - Bellman in Farmington, PA
    Former Employee - Bellman in Farmington, PA

I worked at Nemacolin Woodlands full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work, with good managers and very well run

Cons

Could use some room for advancementw

You do not want to work here.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington, PA

I worked at Nemacolin Woodlands full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Beautiful location and facilities and employee benefits aren't too bad.

Cons

The owners of this resort employ managers who do not care about their employees. They will use you and work you to the bone for little compensation. If you are willing to do a lot of work (around the clock) for a little bit of money, this is where you should work. the resort facilities and location are nice, but the surrounding area is not so nice.

Your directors and management need to be carefully watched, because they are dishonest and ruining this business.

intern

I worked at Nemacolin Woodlands as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

good experience for college students

Cons

make sure to get everything in writing....they tend to say one thing and do another.

Great

Former Employee - Beverage Supervisor in Farmington, PA
    Former Employee - Beverage Supervisor in Farmington, PA

I worked at Nemacolin Woodlands full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of perks, work/life balance is great.

Cons

Seasonal Work. Pay

Fix up the place

They don't care about employees.

I worked at Nemacolin Woodlands

Pros

Health Benefits, 401K, beautiful property, family-like co-workers (not necessarily management), sometimes you get to try activities or meals on property

Cons

Rude and cheap guests, awful uniforms and standards, too many bosses, long shifts, other departments don't always do what's right

Try caring and figuring out ways to keep people who do a good job. It was a rude awakening for me to be let go because you didn't budget properly to keep me (a veteran employee) and all the new hires as well as an additional salary position not originally in the budget plans. I made personal changes to be closer to the company and four months later I was let go. I was overworked and expected to just deal with it and told constantly that I would eventually work my new position which never happened. I didn't feel like I was a part of a family when I was told I could always apply again for other positions on property. Why would I do that when I worked there over two years and had earned vacation time and had my health benefits in order? Think about your employees as people and not just numbers. I know other places who haven't had to lay off anyone because they care enough to find a way to keep people employed.

For most of the employees up there, they are not compensated enough for the crappy clientele brought in who walk all over everyone up there. Start respecting your employees who can't defend themselves when a guest crosses the line. It happens too much and it definitely defeats the morale up there.

It's insane how we were expected to act a certain way when the owners came in. It felt like we were their personal maids and butlers. They came first before guests and that interrupted our priorities. I feared to be fired for saying the wrong thing to the owners because I've heard that to happen before. It was nerve racking to know they were supposed to arrive if I had to work during their arrival.

I will not recommend Nemacolin in the future knowing how poorly the employees are treated. I feel for my ex-co-workers who still have to put up with the injustices that continue. I do not recommend Nemacolin as an employer, either. Maybe for those high school or college kids working part-time, but it's not a place to have or try to start a career because once you make too much money or have your last name on your tag, you have a bullseye on your back, and it's just a matter of time before you're canned.

Good place to learn and develop a management style

I worked at Nemacolin Woodlands

Pros

Entrepreneurial, autonomy, meet interesting people and celebs

Cons

Tight knit, privately owned mentality

Pay attention to who truly does the work and who is good at keeping their job

Pass on this one if you are not thick skinned.

Former Employee - Manager in Farmington, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Farmington, PA

I worked at Nemacolin Woodlands full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Autonomy if you are in management. Great experience and training ground for learning the ins and outs of the individual business unit. No red tape to get things done and ABSOLUTELY GREAT STAFF to work with if you treat them as such.

Cons

The OWNERS, not management, are just plain nuts. Your job in in jeopardy all of the time and you are made painfully aware of this. There is complete fear in the management that they will be called out by the class-less owner in a meeting or fired on the spot. If you look good, expect to be sexually harassed, or at very least inappropriately talked to. And don't expect, as a manager, (unless locally born) to stay longer than 3 years. Other than that, it was actually the best place that I have worked. But then again, I have pretty thick skin.

GROW UP!

Not bad

Current Employee - Server in Farmington, PA
    Current Employee - Server in Farmington, PA

I have been working at Nemacolin Woodlands

Pros

Can meet important people that go there. Good for networking for a real career.

Cons

Its only busy for like 5 months.

Great management

Great work experience

I worked at Nemacolin Woodlands

Pros

Passionate people, exciting property, innovative management team and fearless approach to change and new concepts, great amenities, employee focused events.

Cons

Remote location, Disruptive and erratic behavior of hotel owners has an impact on overall morale and employee satisfaction.

Human Resources

Former Employee - Human Resources in Farmington, PA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Farmington, PA

I worked at Nemacolin Woodlands

Pros

Great group of people to work with and a fun and collegiate atmosphere.

Cons

Terrible benefits package, high turnover

Invest more in your people, because without them, you have nothing.