Nemetschek Vectorworks Reviews

Sean Flaherty

1. Great teams, fun projects, and awesome opportunities

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Nemetschek Vectorworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at Vectorworks three years with each better than the one before. Leaders are highly knowledgeable but also approachable and friendly. The company makes it a priority to know staff and support employees with a variety of events and benefits. The C-team makes their goals transparent so there's no misunderstanding objectives.

Other team members are friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful so coming to work is enjoyable. Vectorworks offers exciting projects that provide the opportunity to make an impact and feel like you've accomplished important work. I've learned alot executing projects and had both informal and formal support to learn new skills and take on more responsibility. Even lower level employees are involved in aspects of the project planning phase, which is helpful to understanding the big picture and moving a project from concept to closeout. I'm given independence to complete projects but have resources to reach out for support when needed.

The company is growing and it's exciting to be part of the success. I have occasion to meet and interact with customers which helps to keep the focus on them. Because the developers and marketing and sales team are all housed in one building, it's easy to understand the product lifecycle and help make sure customers' goals are met at each phase.

Cons

Because the company is growing quickly, new people are constantly added to projects and it takes them a while to get up to speed. Many staff are young or inexperienced so there aren't enough seasoned people to properly mentor junior employees.

Also, the company is headquartered in Columbia, MD, which is fairly close to DC and Baltimore but I'd rather be in one of the metro areas. However, it's sometimes nice to leave the city for this more tranquil/remote location and leaders do put thought into the design and construction of the workspaces, so the facilities are beautiful with nice amenities.

Advice to Management

Have strategy meetings more frequently to keep people on-task. Formally ask people their goals or consider career development plans as part of the annual review process.

2. Don't just read posts, come meet us and we will WOW you!

Current Employee - Director in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Nemetschek Vectorworks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

• The company entrusts huge, challenging projects to their team.
    • The employees are very friendly, team focused, ready to help each other.
    • Very social: Team activities, Ultimate Frisbee, Happy Hours, biking, etc.
    • Work and personal life balance is encouraged

“Marketers proceed with caution”: This is a true statement, if you are NOT willing learn from seasoned professionals or if you have the mentality that you are smarter or know better than the rest of the team. This will not be the right place for you. The CMO continues to impress me! He’s a smart, shrewd business man and marketer. If you are willing to listen and realize that when you are questioned about a project it’s not micro-management. He does not lead by fear, he has an open door policy that many take advantage of, he has always taken the time to listen to our concerns to help both professionally and personally. Taking the time, helping an individual think through the process and working with them to understand our goals to offer the best customer experience is the strongest way to show respect. I have to disagree with the other posts stating otherwise. We foster a strong team atmosphere here, anyone can walk up to our CEO or any of the executives, pitch an idea to improve our company, team building events, or improvements to our work space. We have a small company feel, even though we’ve grown dramatically over the time I’ve been here. There are opportunities popping up all of the time, if you are talented and want to make a difference, this is the place for you to build a rewarding career.

Cons

There can be some longer than usual work days depending on the season.
    Aggressive deadlines for some projects

Advice to Management

During our growth, do not lose the small company feel.

Great company, people, and opportunities

Current Employee - Director in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Nemetschek Vectorworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Lots of growth potential
    - Fast moving, start-up energy with a well established history as a foundation
    - Lots of opportunities to be a part of projects from their infancy and take on increasing levels of responsibility.

I have worked for Vectorworks for over 4 years and have had a great experience. I came from a much larger corporate environment, where I was highly focused on one project. Working at Vectorworks I have had the opportunity to learn about so many different facets of the company and have been able to grow my responsibility in the company by demonstrating commitment to the company, eagerness for new challenges and interest in doing what's right for our customers. I have had the opportunity to work with a great team, who I truly believe enjoy our work environment and their projects - which makes coming to work fun. Our CEO and the rest of the executives have invested a lot over the last couple years to create a work enviroment that encourages employees to network with each other and create friendships outside of the work day. Because we are both the manufacture of software, the marketer of the software, the customer service team, the technical support team, the global distribution team and our local US distributor there is a lot of diverse skill sets and backgrounds throughout our campus - having these company-sponsored networking and social events help bridge the teams and improve collaboration and innovation throughout the company.

Cons

- Being in a fast-paced, high growth enviroment there is often changes in priority or responsibilities
    - There are lots of new faces, ideas and a learning curve

I think one of the only cons is really just a by product of all of the positives. With all of our growth, has come the opportunity to invest in new projects and more people. Naturally, these investments has meant that there is a big learning curve for new team members and they are being added every month. As a manager, getting new team members up to speed and transitioning responsibilities or adding new projects is definitely a challenge. I can tell the quality of our work and the caliber of the team improving year after year though and I think that is exciting.

Advice to Management

Continue to share goals and priorities throughout the whole organization so that everyone can have a greater understanding of how their projects fit into the big picture.

Innovative and creative people look elsewhere

I worked at Nemetschek Vectorworks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty flexible if you need to take a personal day and they offer free lunches on Wednesdays. They also do some sort of fun event once a quarter (ski trip, Octoberfest party, etc).

Cons

I initially resisted posting a review because I did not want to write something negative, but after the blatant flooding of reviews by the company and the obvious damage control they are engaging in, I felt compelled to comment. The reviews that paint a grim view of the work environment are accurate portrayals of reality within the sales & marketing department. It is not just the grumblings of a few malcontents who have a personal axe to grind. In the last two years the company has lost the majority of it's staff from the marketing & sales department, especially those that had been with the company for 5+ years. In all cases, the behavior of the management were the root cause and I can say for sure that nothing has changed.

The executives do not trust people to do the job that they were trained or hired to do, as evidenced by the fact that micromanaging every single decision is just the normal. Anything from how a gift basket needs to be arranged to whether or not a semi-colon belongs on an internal email, is up for debate at the executive level. This is the main reason why people get so frustrated and eventually leave. Threats and bullying are another reason. Two popular quotes that you will undoubtedly hear in meetings are: "if you do not like it then you can leave" or "you guys can discuss and decide but in the end it doesn't matter because only my vote counts". This type of management style has spread to other managers and directors as well and unfortunately it has only gotten worse.

To be fair, the company is making money and adding staff. The CEO is friendly and has an open door policy. There are friendly and talented staff members. However none of this means a thing, if you are working in an environment where you are not empowered to make decisions and the leaders of your department operate with an emperor mentality. HR has received many complaints in exit interviews about the issues I have mentioned but it seems that the company leadership is satisfied to keep things status quo as long as revenues remain positive and the bonuses keep coming. Other reviews talk about a negative atmosphere for young women and that is 100% true. Nothing has changed after people complained.

If you are ok with being micromanaged, threatened, bullied, spoken to in a condescending manner, or depressed, then you should apply. Also, if you are a young woman then you should be prepared to feel uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee's and stop perpetuating the negative atmosphere that the sales and marketing department live in. Hire experienced and innovative managers rather than the majority who have never been managers before now.

If you make your employees believe that you care (beyond just giving them a free lunch once a week or taking them on a ski trip) and value their opinions, they will be loyal and work to make the company more successful than you ever imagined. You have great people working for you that are on their way out because the message they receive is that you do not care as long as the numbers are met.

Internship Experience

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Columbia, MD
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Nemetschek Vectorworks as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company atmosphere that cares about its employees with various programs such as weekly catered lunches, winter ski trips, and so much more. Family like company, made coming to work feel enjoyable.

Cons

I really cannot think of a con. Personally, I had a great supervisor that helped me and provided me with constant feedback if I needed. She always made herself available when I was having trouble with anything, and was very supportive of even my personal academic goals.

Advice to Management

Thank you for putting so much effort into keeping the employees happy. It really goes a long way, and I think it can be seen in the success the company always seems to have each year. If there was some thing to mention, perhaps looking into how managers can help each employee grow in their career? However, I was only interning, so maybe there was something happening that I just did not know about. Also, as the company grows, the opportunity for advancement will only continue to rise.

Marketers: Proceed With Caution

I worked at Nemetschek Vectorworks

Pros

Overall nice people, interesting software products, fun parties. Good place for new marketers to get experience at low pay, particularly if they want some experience working with global partners. Good short-term career stop. Better marketing job for "doers" than "thinkers".

Cons

Seasoned marketers don't waste your time. Many experienced marketers come in the door as "golden marketers" but eventually they are forced out or choose to leave after several years because they are treated poorly or not shown respect by the marketing leadership. The next golden marketer comes through the door, almost the same day, and the same thing eventually happens to him/her. There is no career path for experienced marketers, and marketing professionals with initiative to move up or into a different area of the company are viewed as trouble, not as opportunity, by the CMO. Not a good place for someone with initiative. Really too bad, as the company could be a really great place for marketers of all experience levels. Marketers Beware: There is a revolving door in marketing. If you decide to stop, just make sure you have a thick skin and don't stay too long. Employee turn-over in marketing has been high over the past five years.

Advice to Management

Company leadership should not turn a blind eye to what is going on in marketing. It appears that other parts of the company do not operate in the same way. Marketing leadership should learn to value and respect its human resources. Do not be threatened by seasoned marketers. They bring a wealth of knowledge and real world experience that can help in the short-and-long-term. Build and empower a marketing team of new and seasoned marketers who feel trusted and want to stay. Value these marketers and pay them according to fair market rates for their positions. Remember: It is too late to fix the problems of the past. However, there is still time to create a better future.

8. Exciting, growing company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Nemetschek Vectorworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great culture and employee work/life balance and small company feel although growing
    -Company is doing well which I believe will lead to growth and additional opportunities for current/future employees
    -Employees truly care about the work they are doing and are willing to work hard to meet goals
    -Executives are involved with the company on a day-to-day level and care about employees
    -Fair compensation

Cons

-Additional time-off benefits would be desired
    -Would desire to get to learn more about other departments in the company

Advice to Management

Keep thinking of ways to keep employees motivated and continue being involved in the day to day operations of the organization.

Frustrating and unrewarding depending on the department

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Nemetschek Vectorworks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, talented employees, tuition reimbursement, fair pay. It was obvious that HR and the CEO were trying to make the company an enjoyable place to work. Company is successful and has experienced continual growth year over year.

Cons

The company has basically two halves, the Engineering side and the Sales & Marketing side. If you are on the Sales & Marketing side, you have to deal with the CMO, who can be a nightmare. He is the epitome of a micromanager and does not trust his managers, does not empower his team to make decisions, does not use standard means of corporate communication and project management tools, and rarely gives positive feedback on projects. In addition, he seeks to motivate his team by fear and coercion and is generally disrespectful, especially towards women. It's hard to accurately describe just how miserable the people were when I was there and I hear it hasn't gotten any better. As a result, the mood was tense and talented people were leaving the company in frustration or were getting fired because the environment had such a detrimental effect on their performance.

Advice to Management

My advice is put a layer of management between the CMO and have him involved at the strategic level, but force him to let his managers manage and execute projects at the tactical level. Also hold him accountable and force transparency by making him use the project management software that the rest of the department does. He needs to undergo leadership training. There also needs to be an anonymous way for employees to share their frustrations because people do not feel that they can go to HR and have their opinions held in confidence. At some point the company is going to have to decide how many people they are going to let walk out the door before they make a change to how that department is run.

Software Engineer

I worked at Nemetschek Vectorworks

Pros

good work/life balance
    cool events
    good relationship

Cons

not a fast paced company
    do not recommend it to young developers

Opportunity to work on many technologies to deliver a successful product to creative professionals

Current Employee - Software Engineering in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Nemetschek Vectorworks full-time

Pros

- lots of opportunities to learn new technology
    - professional atmosphere
    - invests in hardware and software to improve productivity
    - it is possible to work on collaborative and interesting projects
    - you know that you are creating value; many many very creative professionals use the software product for important work.
    - no one is pushed to work crazy hours. Some Software Engineers do so because they want to complete their projects.

Cons

- low salary compared to similar positions in the area
    - plays catch up to competitors rather than setting the standards.
    - tries to do everything for everyone with not enough resources which results in half-baked features
    - need leadership to invigorate employees to focused and motivating goals
    - some projects are boring or don't make a lot of business sense (employees need to _speak_ up if you're not doing something you don't like).
    - management doesn't always listen and great employees leave after not being heard.
    - is a little behind the times in terms of software development processes or work policies (such as telecommuting, core hours, etc).

Advice to Management

Take some risks, invest in User Experience designers and product designers, focus on key goals, and stop wasting time on features that no one uses.

RSS Feed </> Embed