Neo@Ogilvy

Updated December 12, 2014
Updated December 12, 2014
3.9

Nasreen Madhany

Great organization with inspiring leadership

Current Employee - Media Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Media Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Neo@Ogilvy full-time

Pros

I have a tremendous opportunity to work on one of the world's largest B2B accounts. The leadership team is very motivating, and despite the complexity of the account they always maintain a positive upbeat attitude. The company leadership at all the C-Levels is inspiring, motivating, and incredibly approachable and welcoming. The benefits package offered is very competitive. The company is in high growth mode, so there are a lot of opportunities for advancement. We work hard, play hard, and do really strong work.

Cons

People say the location is a con because there aren't many places to eat, but they have done a great job with their cafeteria. The food is affordable and they are always serving something new. Gotham Market is right down the block, and there are a ton of restaurants one block over. I actually enjoy walking from Grand Central even though they offer a convenient shuttle just for employees. It is a great way to get geared up for the day, get a little exercise and enjoy New York.

Continue to share highlights of the work done at other global offices of neo@Ogilvy. Keep working to strengthen the emphasis that is already underway for work/life balance. Keep hiring hard-working, positive people. The sky is the limit, it is a great time to be part of neo@Ogilvy

Great digital media agency for people with initiative and a moderate amount of patience

Current Employee - Associate Media Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Media Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Neo@Ogilvy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at a few agencies and Neo has been my favorite.

The Work: The client roster is heavy with DR clients, but in spite of that, the media teams find creative ways to execute media buys and achieve client goals. The recommendations aren't always approved due to budget restrictions or client buy-in, but the agency makes the effort to develop smart plans and get clients to expand their comfort zones.

The Culture: It's fun. We work in a huge open office, and the executives are in the mix with us. The staff is a diverse bunch, so you meet a lot of interesting people with interesting backgrounds. You will become friends with your co-workers.

The Opportunity: It's what you make of it. You can figure out what part of media you're interested in and move toward that if you just get your work done and ask to help out on other projects that you're interested in. There are smart people and they will help you grow, but you need to find them rather than waiting for them to come to you.

Cons

Neo suffers the same high turnover at entry levels that is typical of agencies, and they can be slow to back-fill positions since approvals have to go through the holding company. That means the teams can be understaffed and at times you'll need to deliver more than "your fair share" of work. The same issue can affect promotions, so occasionally we lose good people if they aren't willing to wait for a promotion to get approved of for the next position to open up.

The work comes in waves. Sometimes you will get slammed and need to work late. Media might not be the industry for you if you're just looking for a paycheck while you save up to open your yoga studio.

The other con is the location. Walking to 11th ave is brutal in the winter. Ogilvy provides shuttles, but don't be lazy--you need to work off the calories from happy hour last night.

Advice to management: 52 More Hours of Happiness, please!

Advice to prospective employees: Get a foot in the door. Learn your job quickly and do it well. Start learning the job above yours and demonstrate that you can handle the role. Be patient, but not complacent.

Career opportunities are endless - Culture is collaborative and motivating!

I have been working at Neo@Ogilvy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The obvious pros are the blue chip clients and being part of Ogilvy, which has a great name in the industry. What isn't as apparent are the career opportunities; you just have to raise your hand. I have seen several folks change functions so that they can build their skill set, to experiencing different types of clients to getting opportunities to work in in other countries. The management team really cares about its employees and is going to great lengths to provide a variety of training in order to enable career growth. In addition, they do all they can do to make the workplace environment fun, including instituting 52 hours of happy - a happy hour for the employees every Thursday.

Cons

As in any large organization, bureaucracy can often get in the way. Of course its important to hit the numbers, so sometimes raises, promotions and travel are "frozen' until the following quarter. I believe this happens in nearly all organizations, so it is important to have patience and ride the storm. The promotions and raises (if deserved) will come. Because Ogilvy has such a good name, other agencies are always recruiting the staff. Many of the team members are in their first or second job and are enticed by a little more money, so this impacts the turnover rate. However, I have observed that management values employee retention and is doing everything they can to minimize this.

Recently the whole company held a day that was dedicated to all the employees within the building. It was called You Matter Day. There were a variety of sessions that ranged from building a career to creating art projects. I thought that overall it was a great day. There were a few things that they could improve on. One is that many of the popular sessions sold out within the first hour of registration, and I think that they could have increased those sessions, based on the popularity. Secondly, because of the sold out sessions, they could have created a waiting list - as there were people that didn't show up. (the yoga class that was supposedly sold out was only half full). Lastly, some of the registration staff had some seriously negative attitudes. When you walked in the building there was a long table that said "speaker check in". I asked where participant check in was and the woman looked at me like I was stupid. I suggested they put up a sign (similar to the speaker check in) and she was pretty rude. It wasn't the best way to start a day that was titled "you matter". So my recommendation is to train the staff working the sessions and registration, and that their attitude sets the tone for the day. I will say I got over it and that it was a very inspiring and motivational day.

Great career growth opportunity, fantastic leadership team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Neo@Ogilvy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Really appreciate the leadership team's strategic direction and willingness to be transparent - much more so than other agencies I've worked at. Growth opportunity is great - promotions seem to be announced every couple of months, there is really great tenure at the top of people who have grown within the agency to leadership roles. Really great group of people all around at all levels too.

Cons

Same with any agency, depending on which team you're on, you may work long hours. Worth mentioning that the hard work is typically recognized and managers will try to help preserve work/life balance.

The team you are on can make or break your career at Neo

I have been working at Neo@Ogilvy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Definitely a great name to have on your resume -- many teams are creating cutting-edge plans for their clients, especially in the DR space; open floor plan helps to increase bonds between teams; weekly happy hour

Cons

Difficult to transition into for your first job; few managers here know how to properly train & help new hires entering the workforce; the combination of low salary + poor management in many cases causes people to leave.

Over the past year things have shifted and more frequent discussions are occurring around personal performance + career growth and I only hope that continues

Great environment, typical agency workload/staffing problems.

I have been working at Neo@Ogilvy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people and culture. Ogilvy really believes in helping further the career of their employees. The smaller media agency within the larger ad agency allows for an opportunity standout. Promotions seem to happen faster than other agencies.

Cons

Typical to any agency, teams are often short-staffed and over worked. Raises/promotions seem to happen more frequently, HOWEVER, they often seem tied to the revenue the account is bringing in rather than the merits of said individual.

Neo@Ogilvy is a great organization to learn the process of Media Planning and jump-start your career and reputation.

Current Employee - Media Planner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Media Planner in New York, NY

I have been working at Neo@Ogilvy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great talented core of people from top to bottom. Leadership is available and among you each day.

Cons

Like most companies in the industry, you will put in excessive hours with no additional compensation, high turnover.

Continue the practices being attempted to create better work/life balances for employees.

great starter agency

I have been working at Neo@Ogilvy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

relaxed and friendly office culture, cool people, pretty good benefits, happy hour every thursday, ability to take advantage of and tap into larger ogilvy community, trying hard to improve morale and employee satisfaction, flex work benefits

Cons

office location is brutal, personal growth and upward mobility takes a lot of pushing, salary is below average, takes a lot of effort and follow up for a promotion or raise

while it's not all about money, a lot of great employees would be retained of promotions and raises were easier to come by

Very hit or miss. Great potential for good opportunities in a top agency.

I have been working at Neo@Ogilvy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great exposure to talented people in the industry. You have the opportunity to learn a lot from the people around you, and the advantage of working on top tier brands. Great agency overall with different trainings and groups offered to help your personal and professional growth.

Cons

Depending on the team you are placed on, there is a serious lack of work/life balance. Because of this, you can miss out on many of the incredible offerings that Neo as a whole provides to their employees.

Staff properly - a poor work/life balance can have negative effects on the retention of talent.

Worked to the bone

I worked at Neo@Ogilvy full-time

Pros

Great people and team leaders that care about the success of those that work under them.

Cons

The organization doesn't care about employees. Teams can be understaffed leaving people to work until all hours of the night. When people and teams do raise concerns, high management often ignores or drags their feet on necessary approval or action.

It's not OK to have people continuously working past midnight. Listen to your employees and staff where necessary.