Neopets

Neopets Reviews

3.2

Kyra E. Reppen

Lack of Growth but Really Fun Environment

I worked at Neopets full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Co-workers were fantastic. Environment was very laid back, very flexible, and could be extremely creative at times. Some great perks of being a part of Viacom but also a lot of corporate cons as well. This company used to be really great & fun to work for, but it continually went down hill over the years. Hopefully the new owners will be able to revive it and move it along in a fresh direction.

Cons

Lack of Growth. Poor communication. The work and direction of the company had been stagnant for the past few years.

It's transitioning to new management now, so hopefully they will respect and listen to the few employees that got to stay on. Neopets has a lot of history and content but they need a refresh. They definitely need to go mobile.

Great people to work with.

I have been working at Neopets

Pros

Very flexible hours. Can start/end essentially whenever you want.

Cons

Can't think of any at the moment.

You get paid in experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Neopets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to grow for star team members.
    You can try out many hats if you are hardworking and competent.
    Always something new going on.

Cons

We tend to follow the trends rather than create them, it's not a pioneering organization.
    Raises are few and far between, you have to quit to get considered for one.
    Our directors are often emotionally distraught, execs tend to make failures personal.

Neopets, a fantastic work environment!

Former Employee - Art Intern in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Art Intern in Glendale, CA

I worked at Neopets as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

All departments work together, round table feedback, and a great environment.

Cons

Recently much of the workforce has been laid off to ensure increased profit margins.

Neopets can be a good job for awhile, but it is not a career oriented company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I worked at Neopets

Pros

Neopets can be a good place to learn your craft if you are somewhat new to the entertainment/gaming industry. There are some talented people there, including artists and programmers willing to help newer employees. I was able to learn a lot and I enjoyed the people that worked there quite a bit.

The environment can be fun with monthly birthday parties, free movies at Paramount Studios, and a playful environment. It can get hectic like most work places, but the overall environment can help to keep a balance. Overall my experience was positive because I knew it was going to be just a job, not a long term career.

As far as the earlier user's post about Scientology, the previous Neopets owner (Doug Dohring) hasn't been there for a few years. I never witnessed or heard anything about Scientology after Viacom took over.

Cons

Since Viacom/MTV took over a few years ago, there have been a lot of
    changes. Some good, some bad. Having the financial backing of a new parent company allowed Neopets to add some new sites(Petpet Park and Monkey Quest) and also hire more people for a while.

The downside is that the company employs mostly contractors and has been gradually getting rid of some of the full-time employees that had full benefits. The lack or career growth has also caused a lot of turn-over. The contractors realize after a year or two that they will not get full-benefits, raises, or promotions, so they leave. Within a couple of years, there were around 40-50 people that were either let go or that decided to leave. Unfortunately a lot of people become bitter once they realize there is little opportunity for job growth.

Overall the company seems to be downsizing and it's hard to say which direction it will go.

Since there is little that the Neopets management can do about career growth since that is controlled by Viacom/MTV, just continue to work on making the current employees feel appreciated and try to give them whatever perks you can when possible.

An OK experience

Former Employee - Production Intern in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Production Intern in Glendale, CA

I worked at Neopets

Pros

Exposure to the corporate level of professional fast paced work environment. Gained valuable game production experience by learning the rules and procedures of fellow employees. Company events, treats and free breakfast on thursdays.

Cons

Employees seem unenthusiastic in making better games. They wonder why there at the bottom of list of most played online games. Lack of passion and creative input with other employees. I see employees bad mouthing other behind back.

Stop outsourcing gaming work.

Pay for incredibly cheap and scientologists are all in management.

I have been working at Neopets

Pros

it could be fun, free stuffed toys.

Cons

most of the higher ups were scientologists and I made insanely low wages.

Large parent company dealing with mindset of organic lackadaisical child culture acquisition.

I worked at Neopets

Pros

The10- 20% that carry the weight of the company are spectacular people

Cons

The 10-20% that take advantage of the system by yelling, screaming, taking undeserved credit...

Be clear about what you want to achieve, the roles required to achieve it, and hold all accountable including your self.