Nera Economic Consulting

Updated September 15, 2014
3.2

Nera Economic Consulting President Andrew Carron
Andrew Carron

Pros
  • I learned quickly the importance between work-life balance and having access to the beautiful city of Washington D (in 7 reviews)

• Good work-life balance and smart people (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • This obviously results in poor work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

• lots of grunt work that is not rewarding and does not contribute to employee professional development (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

satisfied mostly with what i'm doing now

I have been working at Nera Economic Consulting

Pros

Great work life balance. Intimate relation with seniors.

Cons

Day-to-day work is pretty simple. You'll feel bored if you don't like review legal documents.

Awful culture

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Nera Economic Consulting full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the work can be interesting at NERA. Most of it however is mindless document review and data entry.

Cons

The office culture is completely nonexistent. People are unhappy and seniors are mean to lower level analysts. Seniors in each group treat researchers as slaves and do not care about their input or ideas. The environment is extremely silo'd off and you can get through the entire day without any interaction with another person other than your direct superior. Management is horrendous and does not show any sympathy for researchers as they can spring 15 hour work days on you out of nowhere. Simply put, I met very few people who are truly happy to be at NERA. Competitors have much better work environments.

Consider your people more because there is a reason all of them are leaving to go to other econ firms and even small startups...because the culture at NERA is horrendous.

Smart people, but poor people-skills make the firm unmotivating

I worked at Nera Economic Consulting

Pros

Very intelligent, hard-working people. Most members of management have PhDs and know their subject matter inside and out. Their reputation as a firm of experts undoubtedly precedes them.

Good work life balance (except in New York Antitrust from what I've heard). Most work weeks do not exceed 50 hours. If you're truly interested in your practice area, then the work will also be rewarding.

Cons

Before working at NERA, I had little appreciation for the importance of strong management in a research environment. After NERA, I fully realize the negative impacts poor management can have, even when the work environment is academic and research-driven. Communicating with senior management was like speaking to a pretentious brick wall. Unfortunately, a firm run by PhDs is not the best business model. Most of senior management is focused on their research and clients and provide little support to the development of their non-senior team members. As a developing employee, I received no motivation from my senior members.

Similarly, I felt no motivation from the NERA culture. If asked to describe the NERA culture, I would describe it as nonexistent. The work environment is similar to a library. The only unifying characteristic at NERA is a dedication to providing objective and factual results. You'll have to be purely self-motivated to work at NERA.

Human resources is a also a nightmare. They attempt to be friendly and bubbly, but come off as non-genuine and distant. I was jerked around and misled for months before hearing any straight answers about my offer.

Connect with your developing employees on a more personal level and develop an actual firm culture. Your reputation will continue to slip if you can't motivate your non-senior employees. Utilize people with stronger management backgrounds to run the firm.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to learn

Former Employee - Associate Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Nera Economic Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Open door, small teams, lots of professional development

Cons

Billing for clients is a drag

Smart Colleagues

Former Employee - Research Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Nera Economic Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance and smart people.

Cons

Most senior staff poor at management.

Leave when they tire you out

I have been working at Nera Economic Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good learning experience right after college. Relatively good hours when work is not busy. You get exposure to many different industries as you work. Good name within the econ consulting industry, but barely recognizable outside of the niche.

Cons

Awful management with no consideration for the analyst. Work gets repetitive and boring after a year. Also, there's no way to advance within NERA unless you have a phd already.

Don't treat the researchers as your slaves. The seniors, especially middle management, need to get serious proper training on how to manage and treat people well. This is not an academic world where you only need to get things done regardless how people feel.

Brief, Tolerable Employment

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Nera Economic Consulting full-time for less than a year

Pros

Intelligent people, decent compensation and occasionally meaningful work

Cons

Very much a silo type environment - not a lot of cross pollination of ideas, dry, not entrepreneurial, slow

A good place to start right out of college, but leave when you stop learning.

I have been working at Nera Economic Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

In the first year, you can learn a lot of things that you would never learn in school. Fellow researchers are all intelligent and fun to work with. When projects are not busy, hours are very good.

Cons

There's a huge dichotomy between seniors and junior researchers. Senior level management (partners) basically just don't care about any junior staff, and middle managers (consultants and some VPs) have no clue of how to interact with or manage junior staff. Management can get overbearing and even passive aggressive sometimes (very weird...). There's zero room to grow if you are not a phd. It gets very frustrating if you are on a bad project where hours are long and management is horrible. And work gets repetitive and boring after a year.

Don't treat us as machines who just execute your commands and make money for you. We are human beings with emotions. And don't be passive aggressive about things that we didn't do right. Don't wait until performance review to tell us something you don't like about us. Also you should know that one frustrated researcher upset a whole bunch of others.

Associate Analyst

Current Employee - Associate Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Nera Economic Consulting full-time for less than a year

Pros

Just started my job. So far so good. People are nice. a lot to learn.

Cons

Don't know yet. time will tell

Challenging work, quiet work environment - DC Office

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Nera Economic Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

All my comments are relative to the DC office, as the offices differ greatly in each city:
    - Intellectually challenging and varied work
    - Good pay
    - Everyone in the office is incredibly intelligent and very very nice
    - Regular collaboration between senior and junior staff, minimal hierarchy

Cons

- While challenging and varied, the subject matter of the work can be dry and a little boring at times, particularly with litigation related work.
    - I hear that pay at the more junior levels is not as competitive compared to our competitors, but at my level I believe I am well compensated. Also, upward salary potential seems limited until you get to the Senior VP (highest) level where most of your compensation is based on the amount of business you bring in.
    - While everyone is very nice and smart, it is not a very sociable office atmosphere. Not necessarily antisocial, just quiet.

Worked for Nera Economic Consulting? Contribute to the Community!