Nera Economic Consulting

Updated Jun 11, 2014

Nera Economic Consulting President Andrew Carron

Andrew Carron

Associate Analyst

Associate Analyst (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsJust started my job. So far so good. People are nice. a lot to learn.

ConsDon't know yet. time will tell

A good place to start right out of college, but leave when you stop learning.

ProsIn the first year, you can learn a lot of things that you would never learn in school. Fellow researchers are all intelligent and fun to work with. When projects are not busy, hours are very good.

ConsThere's a huge dichotomy between seniors and junior researchers. Senior level management (partners) basically just don't care about any junior staff, and middle managers (consultants and some VPs) have no clue of how to interact with or manage junior staff. Management can get overbearing and even passive aggressive sometimes (very weird...). There's zero room to grow if you are not a phd. It gets very frustrating if you are on a bad project where hours are long and management is horrible. And work gets repetitive and boring after a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat us as machines who just execute your commands and make money for you. We are human beings with emotions. And don't be passive aggressive about things that we didn't do right. Don't wait until performance review to tell us something you don't like about us. Also you should know that one frustrated researcher upset a whole bunch of others.

Challenging work, quiet work environment - DC Office

Consultant (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsAll my comments are relative to the DC office, as the offices differ greatly in each city:
    - Intellectually challenging and varied work
    - Good pay
    - Everyone in the office is incredibly intelligent and very very nice
    - Regular collaboration between senior and junior staff, minimal hierarchy

Cons- While challenging and varied, the subject matter of the work can be dry and a little boring at times, particularly with litigation related work.
    - I hear that pay at the more junior levels is not as competitive compared to our competitors, but at my level I believe I am well compensated. Also, upward salary potential seems limited until you get to the Senior VP (highest) level where most of your compensation is based on the amount of business you bring in.
    - While everyone is very nice and smart, it is not a very sociable office atmosphere. Not necessarily antisocial, just quiet.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good starting job. Wouldn't stay for more than a year or two

Research Associate (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Prosacademic environment, smart people, opportunity to learn a lot right off the bat, non-senior staff are very friendly and approachable

ConsWork becomes repetitive after about a year and a half. Not many opportunities for advancement within the company. Work experience varies widely depending on what senior manager's group you are randomly assigned too, and there are very few opportunities to work outside of your senior's group or to switch groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot true of all managers, but some could be more approachable

Entry-Level Analyst at NERA

Associate Analyst (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsI was paid generously and working at NERA was a great job coming right out of school. I learned quickly the importance between work-life balance and having access to the beautiful city of Washington D.C. was fantastic.

ConsBeing a consulting firm, there was definitely some level of rigidity which wasn't surprising, but most people working there seemed to be stressed out. I often overheard people seeming like they were generally dissatisfied with their lives - which was sad to hear because most of the people working there were very hard-working individuals. Training is tough and definitely requires a high level understanding of statistical/mathematical/financial understanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementI highly suggest providing a more friendly, work-life balanced environment, I often felt like I was getting shoved around by my superiors and there was a sense that everyones' lives were stressful to lead.

Very friendly environment. A lot of intelligent people.

Intern (Current Employee)
    White Plains, NY

ProsGreat work life balance. Intellectual stimulation. Great option if you are into economics analysis, especially the combination of qualitative and quantitative analysis. Great exit opportunities.

ConsVery academia sort of environment, which can be a good thing if you enjoy working in such environment. But if you are someone who can't sit down and run regressions and do some grunt work, this is not for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about the career development of the junior researchers.

Indifferent

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsEveryone was very nice and incredibly intelligent

ConsThe work that you do as an administrative assistant will never be exciting so it's not really a con for NERA just a con in general

Great company, for the partners, not for the low-level employees

Intern (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsKind people, no backstabbing, like to learn

ConsNo career development, no upward mobility, little transferable skills

Advice to Senior ManagementRotate your staff.

The best economic consulting firm in the marketplace

ProsWork alongside really talented people. Exposure to high-profile cases and clients

ConsCompensation may be a bit higher at other economic consulting firms

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on acquiring the best talent possible by offering more competitive compensation

Great place to learn and be miserable

White Plains, NY

ProsIntelligent colleagues, interesting work, great stepping stone for career

ConsUnhappy work environment, overbearing arrogant management

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not the quantity, it's the quality of work.

Worked for Nera Economic Consulting? Contribute to the Community!

Nera Economic Consulting – Why Work for Us?

NERA Economic Consulting is a global firm of experts dedicated to applying economic, finance, and quantitative principles to complex business and legal challenges. For half a century, NERA’s economists have been… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nera Economic Consulting reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nera Economic Consulting CEO Andrew Carron. All 47 reviews posted anonymously by Nera Economic Consulting employees.