Nera Economic Consulting

Updated December 18, 2014
2.6

Nera Economic Consulting President Andrew Carron
Andrew Carron

Pros
  • Good work life balance (except in New York Antitrust from what I've heard) (in 9 reviews)

• Good work-life balance and smart people (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work can be tedious, cyclical work-life balance, opaque career development path (in 6 reviews)

• The company is rather small, so opportunities for advancement within the company are limited (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great stepping stone from undergrad to B-School or Law School

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Nera Economic Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Analysts learn a ton on the job, including Excel, Statistics, and Economics. The work is often interesting, and for the most part hours are reasonable by NYC standards.

Cons

The work becomes repetitive after a couple years. I wouldn't advise working more than a few years here.

Terrible culture, bad corporate structure

I have been working at Nera Economic Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You work with some smart people

Cons

Benefits and pay are sub-par. Non monetary perks are non-existent. Depressing culture.

intern

I worked at Nera Economic Consulting as an intern

Pros

Academic, Professional, Great pay, lots of resources

Cons

Some higher ups not socially adept

NERA a great learning experience.

Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Nera Economic Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You are in an office with a lot of very smart people all around you. If you keep your eyes and ears open, you will learn a lot. You will leave smarter than when you arrived.

Cons

Generous on some things but, overall they are focused too much on costs.

Add a middle tier between the top level and the cogs. This enable you to retain and groom some talented people.

Associate Analyst

I worked at Nera Economic Consulting full-time

Pros

It does train you to be more detail oriented. But in terms of pay, culture, promotion, benefits, learning experience, I would not say NERA is as competitive as other recruiters.

Cons

When choosing our first job out of college/graduate school, we should always think a step ahead - where can your first job lead you to. From my experience at NERA, I feel joining the firm is the biggest mistake I have made.

First, as many reviewer have mentioned, NERA's management style and its culture is the biggest problem existing in both security/finance practice. I have seen people working many hours, including myself, with little respect given. Day to day life is very unpredictable and makes people feel insecure. Despite of working so many hours as an IBD banker, the pay is meager (low 60k for research associates, high 60k for associate analysts, 0-1000 bonus the first two years for securities practice), exit options are dwindling after being there longer, and work gets repetitive/boring and learning curve flattens quickly after the first 8 months. As the most junior person, it is not surprising to find people dumping data entry work on you even you are an ivy league graduate and your seniors couldn't care less how much you learn and how happy you are.

Second, the company does not really have a clear path for promotion as it claims to be. At least I have seen people stuck as an senior analyst for 6 years without being promoted to consultants. If you check linked in, you will find very few people promoted from researchers to consultants in recent years.

Third, NERA is deemed as a prestige economic consulting firm and a lot of people are saying that the experience at the firm can lead you to a good MBA/law school. I think it is a fact being observed but not explained. NERA likes hiring Ivy League graduates to make itself to look prestigious and also to buy smart labor for cheap (NERA really look into your transcript). Unlike other consulting firms or investment banks, which will usually give graduates a few months till December to make a decision, NERA will only give you 1 or 2 weeks to accept the offer. I guess part of it is due to arrogance. But still, some smart people will accept the offer. In turn, those Ivy League college graduates with very good grades in collage of course will get into Ivy League MBA or law school. If that is your route, then 2 years will be an optimal for your experience at NERA before going to graduate school. Otherwise, I do not see experience at NERA can prepare you for the competitive candidate pool in MBA school since most of your classmates will be coming from well-known management consulting firms or investment banks.

Yet I know NERA still has its ego after seeing abnormally high turnover and low offer acceptance for the entire 2014.The company is very short of people because of its pay and practice and if you choose to join, I cannot offer an opinion how busy you will be. Everyone wants to be happy at their first job, and I definitely don't see happy faces at NERA.

Bad intern experience

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I have been working at Nera Economic Consulting as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good company to have worked at, opened up opportunities.

Cons

No work life balance, generally unhappy atmosphere

mediocre work, lots of egos

I worked at Nera Economic Consulting full-time

Pros

good brand management and market impression
    reasonable compensation at market average

Cons

lots of ego
    little ability to advance
    entrenched interest

satisfied mostly with what i'm doing now

I have been working at Nera Economic Consulting

Pros

Great work life balance. Intimate relation with seniors.

Cons

Day-to-day work is pretty simple. You'll feel bored if you don't like review legal documents.

Smart people, but poor people-skills make the firm unmotivating

I worked at Nera Economic Consulting

Pros

Very intelligent, hard-working people. Most members of management have PhDs and know their subject matter inside and out. Their reputation as a firm of experts undoubtedly precedes them.

Good work life balance (except in New York Antitrust from what I've heard). Most work weeks do not exceed 50 hours. If you're truly interested in your practice area, then the work will also be rewarding.

Cons

Before working at NERA, I had little appreciation for the importance of strong management in a research environment. After NERA, I fully realize the negative impacts poor management can have, even when the work environment is academic and research-driven. Communicating with senior management was like speaking to a pretentious brick wall. Unfortunately, a firm run by PhDs is not the best business model. Most of senior management is focused on their research and clients and provide little support to the development of their non-senior team members. As a developing employee, I received no motivation from my senior members.

Similarly, I felt no motivation from the NERA culture. If asked to describe the NERA culture, I would describe it as nonexistent. The work environment is similar to a library. The only unifying characteristic at NERA is a dedication to providing objective and factual results. You'll have to be purely self-motivated to work at NERA.

Human resources is a also a nightmare. They attempt to be friendly and bubbly, but come off as non-genuine and distant. I was jerked around and misled for months before hearing any straight answers about my offer.

Connect with your developing employees on a more personal level and develop an actual firm culture. Your reputation will continue to slip if you can't motivate your non-senior employees. Utilize people with stronger management backgrounds to run the firm.

Awful culture

Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Nera Economic Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some of the work can be interesting at NERA. Most of it however is mindless document review and data entry.

Cons

The office culture is completely nonexistent. People are unhappy and seniors are mean to lower level analysts. Seniors in each group treat researchers as slaves and do not care about their input or ideas. The environment is extremely silo'd off and you can get through the entire day without any interaction with another person other than your direct superior. Management is horrendous and does not show any sympathy for researchers as they can spring 15 hour work days on you out of nowhere. Simply put, I met very few people who are truly happy to be at NERA. Competitors have much better work environments.

Consider your people more because there is a reason all of them are leaving to go to other econ firms and even small startups...because the culture at NERA is horrendous.

Nera Economic Consulting Photos