Nerac, Inc.

Updated December 6, 2014
Updated December 6, 2014
1.8

Kevin Bouley

Good clients make Nerac a great place to work!

Current Employee - Biotech & Pharmaceutical Analyst in Tolland, CT
    Current Employee - Biotech & Pharmaceutical Analyst in Tolland, CT

I have been working at Nerac, Inc. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nerac has a unique niche in the business world. Excellent benefits and well earned vacation time. I personally don't need a promotion. My fulfillment comes from the satisfaction of helping a client using my unique expertise. The work is very stimulating and I have learned a lot in many different fields of science. This has been rewarding for me in that I have continued to develop and practice my expertise in the life sciences from environmental to agriculture to biotechnology to biomedical sciences. The current Analysts in their respective fields do excellent work and impress me over and over again.

Cons

No pats on the back.

Look carefully at the way sales is being practiced and manage better. Sales is the key to the future.

Small company with big dreams

Former Employee - Department Was Phased Out in Tolland, CT
    Former Employee - Department Was Phased Out in Tolland, CT

I worked at Nerac, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

(Worked here before 2008 bubble burst)
    Good benefits
    ESOP
    Flexible hours
    Everyone knows your name
    Great coworkers who will become lifelong friends
    Clean building

Cons

Limited opportunities for advancement
    Employee favoritism from upper management
    Upper management consistently flaunted new cars and built themselves mansions, but cut employee bonuses
    State of the State, Hawaiian shirt Fridays and antiquated software gave it an "Office Space" feeling

Consider taking some classes on dealing with employees, Kevin and Betsy are deadpan and unapproachable if they don't like you. I was one of those people and it felt crappy to work under needless pretentiousness.
    Pick an identity and stick with it. The current, and very dated, logo and slogan is confusing and lackluster. You have a fabululous, high-end research staff and should be advertising their top notch services in a professional, high end manor.

Management is Really, Really Important

I worked at Nerac, Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people. Interesting clients. Rich history

Cons

Everything else. A total lack of training, upward mobility, performance reviews, and the ability to think forward.

Sad but true: the CEO should never have been a CEO. He hasn't ever worked for another company, and is strictly a numbers person who is very uncomfortable with conflict and has the inability to think long-term and stick with a plan. These traits do not sink a company. They do, however, if those traits below to your long-standing CEO who is unwilling to bring in experienced people under him who have the opportunity to be upfront and honest.

Much of their failures - they're losing millions of dollars per year - is self-inflicted. All signs point to a complete lack of self-awareness.

The upper management are VERY nice people, but two have no experience outside of Nerac and should not be upper management at a company.

Someone else mentioned a "senseless tragedy." If we are willing to use that word when applied to a business, then yes.

A MBA case study in mismanagement

I worked at Nerac, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home and flexible hours

Cons

Constantly changing direction. Inability of all levels of management to take responsibility. The great business "visionary" is myopically near sighted......

Get some real managers in place and let them run it. Stop the cronyism and seek advice from people who have actually succeeded instead of managing the decline.

2013...and all the previous comments are still true

Current Employee - Analyst in Tolland, CT
    Current Employee - Analyst in Tolland, CT

I have been working at Nerac, Inc. full-time

Pros

The other analysts are fun to work with, the clients are interesting, you can work from home and have a flexible schedule. The types of projects that are worked on include technical literature reviews, patent searches, and business market research. The companies that are worked with are very diverse and allow you to work with many different types of people. Travel is interesting and varied and includes Europe to meet clients and is engaging.

Cons

Nerac claims to be a victim of the economy; however, rebranding as a business solutions firm is failing. Company constantly tries new ways of doing things. President never visits clients and holes up in his office reviewing numbers. Management is young and inexperienced. Every year or two there are significant layoffs. Work quality is slowly declining. Stay in your lab, you will find it hard to get back into one if you go here. Limited career opportunities if you try to leave. Stay in my lab position. Young people with children be aware…be very aware…of the unstable situation.

Bring in an experienced leader.

Initially, I was very satisfied working at Nerac, but over time, conditions at Nerac deteriorated.

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Tolland, CT
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Tolland, CT

I worked at Nerac, Inc.

Pros

* Very smart people (analysts)
    * Interesting projects
    * Flexible work hours
    * The option to work from home
    * Good vacation and sick leave benefits
    * Onsite exercise facility
    * Free coffee
    * Bagel day

I worked at Nerac for about 3 years. During the first half of my employment period, I really enjoyed working at Nerac. The other analysts were very smart and interesting to be around. They were fun to work with. I looked forward to seeing them every day.

Cons

After about six months into my employment at Nerac, the company started a transition into a new business model. Initially, I was very excited, but it soon became clear that there were serious problems. Numerous people were fired. The company started losing money. Analyst were put into difficult circumstances. It became impossible for analysts to meet performance objectives. Analysts were unfairly graded. A large number of analysts were laid off in 2007. The new business model was failing. The management at Nerac blamed the analysts and sales staff for all failures and the lackluster financial performance. The firings and staff reductions continued. Conditions worsened. I witnessed the careers of many analysts being sacrificed for the ambitions of a short sighted management. A tremendous amount of talent was wasted. It simply became too painful to work there and I left the company. The company is still in a downward spiral and I do not believe it will survive for much longer.

Transitioning to a new business model is bold, risky and tricky. A great number of mistakes have been made. Mistakes are continuing to be made. However, the management at Nerac does not learn from these mistakes. The management continues to press forward with a defective business model. It has thrown away an enormous amount of talent in the process. The management is reactionary, not visionary. The management should have listened to the smart people who work(ed) there. The sheer bullheadedness, arrogance and closed mindedness is the greatest obstacle to Nerac's renaissance.

Started great BUT

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Tolland, CT
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Tolland, CT

I have been working at Nerac, Inc.

Pros

Working hours
    Starting salary
    Not taking vacation, end up forfeiting vacation days.

Cons

No salary increases
    No promotional ladder
    Stuck in one position
    Work can become routine, burn out is high.

Recognize who actually is involved and cares about the company.

A kind of unstable environment in general, but maybe right for some people.

Former Employee - Analyst in Tolland, CT
    Former Employee - Analyst in Tolland, CT

I worked at Nerac, Inc.

Pros

The pay is very good. There is an exercise room and the company fosters a healthy environment (tries to get people to quit smoking, ride bicycles, etc.). Working as an analyst can be an interesting and stable way to use a science or engineering degree or other knowledge. The company does attempt to create a kind of community environment by calling employees, employee-owners and forming lots of committees. It would be positive environment for someone who really wants to be involved socially with their workplace. Many employees live far away from CT and work from their homes and there is a great deal of flexibility with hours allowed.

Cons

Those in middle-management give their subordinates a lot of responsibility, but no authority to do a good job. It is a frustrating way to work. People are hired because they possess knowledge and skills which they are then not trusted to use without micromanagement. Often, those who do have authority to make decisions are unable or unwilling to delegate authority to those who have more knowledge or skills related to the question at hand. Many decisions are made quickly and without a great deal of thought. Very basic changes in workforce, management and the general vision of what the company is are made far too often. Two major cycles of layoffs and hiring occurred while I was there within two years.

You hire good, smart people. Trust their judgement and their decisions.

A needless tragedy.

I worked at Nerac, Inc.

Pros

Many employees work from home, allowing for an excellent work/life balance. The client work can be interesting and the peer working group is highly intelligent and hard-working.

Cons

The Somali government is better run than this organization. The hubris of the laughably inexperienced upper management team, especially the CEO, has brought the company to its knees. They have n-e-v-e-r worked anywhere else and thus have no means of understanding the client side of the business or how to lead a staff that is, by and large, more accomplished and accredited than they are.

It is a flat organization in which there are the chosen few at the top and the many doers on the bottom, with no opportunity for advancement or professional growth. In fact, there are no performance reviews, merit increases or bonuses. Furloughs and salary cuts (some over 30%) have been the order of the day for the last two years. Business has been declining for the past several years and the message has consistently been that the blame falls upon the shoulders of the scores of talented ex-employees who were unable to execute the latest foolproof offering from the Strategy of the Month Club.

It is a place in which very good people are treated very poorly. I would heartily recommend many of my former colleagues as I found them to be diligent, bright and personable. That said, I cannot recommend this organization as a place of employment to anyone.

We all look to insulate ourselves from our shortcomings but the vehement unwillingness to learn is tragic. Please stop insisting that you have all of the right answers and begin to reflect upon, correct and incorporate some of the things that your former employees have told you. If their thoughts are good enough for your clients...

Typical - Great Start, Horrible Finish

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Nerac, Inc.

Pros

Ability to work from home
    Intellectual Freedom
    Variety of Projects/Topics
    Great Analyst Staff

Cons

Pay cuts
    Layoffs
    Terminations
    Unpaid Furloughs
    Mandatory (and unpaid) 4-day workweek
    Clueless/inexperienced upper management

Find someone who can run a business
    Stop blaming employees for your failures