NerdWallet Reviews

Updated April 14, 2015
34 reviews filtered by
3.7
Tim Chen

1. The level of creativity, cameraderie and collaboration has been refreshing.

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company values are clearly articulated and on display every day in the work we do. The office culture is upbeat and collaborative, and fast-paced. Managers are constantly pushing employees to develop new skills and be creative about their career paths.

Cons

Not many. As a young company, some of the perks are focused on a younger demographic. Fitness classes are too late for employees with kids, unless they live in San Francisco proper. Adult league sports are the same.

Advice to Management

Keep fighting to maintain the culture.

2. Incredibly respectful, professional telecommute opportunity

Current Contractor - Contract Writer in Landing, NJ
    Current Contractor - Contract Writer in Landing, NJ

I have been working at NerdWallet as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I've been working for NerdWallet in a telecommute capacity for a little over a year and am so impressed with how genuinely warm and friendly (yet totally professional) everyone I've dealt with has been. I've learned so much, both as a writer and also technically - whenever there was a computer skill I was unfamiliar with the editors were always more than willing to explain and bring me up to speed. Also communication is excellent and any questions or concerns I've had were addressed right away. I really feel like a member of the family even though I'm not physically in the office. As anyone who telecommutes knows, it can be a real challenge to find a job situation with an appropriate workload, any sort of stability, clear guidelines and professional compensation, so I've been more than happy with this position. Not only that - this company is amazingly respectful of my changing schedule and is willing to assign my work accordingly. The standards here are high, but quality work is definitely appreciated and rewarded.

Cons

I'm not sure this is really a con but things do change a lot such as which editors I report to, the type of assignments I get, or how work is turned in. But everyone has been so nice every step of the way, which makes the transitions smooth and easy. (Plus it isn't boring!) Flexibility is needed to work here, but I don't mind because this company is also very flexible with its employees.

3. Getting out of here as soon as possible- avoid at all costs.

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A lot of really nice people that you can make friends with. A lot of snacks, frequent events in the office, happy hour every Friday. Good opportunities to meet cool people. Higher management is relatively smart and are doing cool things with the company moving forward.

Cons

Huge egos and an overwhelming sense of entitlement. They preach a certain type of culture and then actively hire people who have no chance at all of fitting into that culture, setting both the company and the individuals up for failure. There is a huge dichotomy at play where half of the people are nice, hardworking, and kind and the other half are selfish, entitled, and come from insanely privileged backgrounds where they've had everything handed to them.

Controversial firings as of lately with little to no explanation. One day you see someone in the office, the next day they're gone. Middle managers have been known to lie to your face about why certain people no longer work at the company.

I've witnessed a member of "HR" (if you can even call it that) quiz employees about whether or not they'd eaten lunch yet. Apparently, they feel it's their place to police others' eating habits. I've witnessed an employee get chewed out in front of a large group of people by someone who was not their manager or in any way their superior, but they used to work at Google, so it's okay for them to act like they know more than everyone else. Favoritism runs amuck here. There are little circles of people from LinkedIn, Zynga, Google, etc. who form cliques.

NerdWallet is nothing like what it tries to be. Everyone here is just waiting for a better offer, and no one is satisfied with their work.

Advice to Management

Instead of working on Glassdoor "damage control" by encouraging employees who haven't even been at the company for 90 days to write reviews, therefore increasing the average rating of the company, do something to actually fix the broken areas of NerdWallet. Also, stop posting obviously fake reviews. Dishonesty is not a desirable company trait.

Wonderful team, great place for learning

Current Employee - Staff Writer
    Current Employee - Staff Writer

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I think I’ve learned about 10 years’ worth of stuff at NerdWallet after working here for less than a year. This is the best thing about this company. It invests in training people on an ongoing basis, and learning is always seen as a positive thing. There’s no pressure to fake it ‘til you make it here. You can just ask questions, and people are always happy to help.

That long-term, holistic thinking carries over to all areas of the business. When it comes to writing, it’s not just about cranking out the articles– there’s also a big emphasis on professional development and building a successful career in the long run.

Seeing how much people care about each other at NerdWallet makes me so happy. If someone has a birthday, people send around a card. If someone’s going through a difficult time, people go out of their way to help them. People send nice emails to each other just because.

The expectations at NerdWallet are really high. But even though everyone’s always trying to go above and beyond, things don’t get hyper-competitive or nasty. I think there’s this foundational understanding that we’re all on the same team and we’re all working towards the same outcome.

Honestly, I’d want to volunteer here if I weren’t an employee. The skills you learn and the experiences you gain are invaluable. Getting paid to do this full-time is the best.

Cons

This is a rapidly growing company. Things change every month, every week and every day. Even if you’re flexible and easygoing, it can still be stressful. The complicated part is that it’s not just a matter of “going with the flow”– it’s a matter of constantly improving while things are constantly changing. It’s incredibly hard work.

If you’re the kind of person who needs super specific expectations, rules and quotas to work effectively, this job may not be a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in employees and building a supportive company culture.

Good contract work experience.

Former Employee - Data Researcher in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Data Researcher in San Francisco, CA

I worked at NerdWallet

Pros

Good working environment, expectations were clear, option to work from home, snacks and lunch provided on-site

Cons

Position was not challenging enough, work was repetitive

7. The best place I've ever worked

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The team here has taken extreme measures to make sure that coming to work every day is a welcoming, awesome experience. Maintaining a positive company culture is a top priority, and it shows. Everyone is amazing at making new people feel welcome. And the benefits cannot be beat: catered lunches, amazing swag, flexible vacations, and just overall wonderful and smart people.

Upper management is very transparent about where it's going, what it's doing, and why. It's refreshing to be a part of such an upward-moving company.

We're a startup, and everything is in flux. That's expected and might feel daunting. But it's actually a great benefit: we are able to make changes that will have an impact far down the road. It's exciting to be on the ground floor of a company that has great things in its future.

Cons

Some of the attempts at making everyone feel welcome and preserving a great culture can feel a little "woo woo." Everyone just has to remember that it's not fake and people are genuinely nice and helpful.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. This is a great company with a fantastic mission.

Smart people, successful company, collaborative/creative atmosphere, fun office with great benefits and perks.

Current Employee - Editor

I have been working at NerdWallet

Pros

The other employees are highly skilled, very smart and create an environment in which you can do your best work. The management is transparent about goals and expectations and provides the right support to reach them. The company is excellent about planning for the long and short term. The work is challenging and engaging, and people are receptive to new ways and ideas. Everyone seems very happy to be working there, and the positive vibe in the office reflects that.

Cons

Not really a con, but you have to have a flexible mindset because the company is growing and changing and you need to adapt.

Best company I've ever worked for

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The culture of constant improvement is phenomenal. Coming from the world of journalism, the experience is night-and-day from working in traditional media. Better managers, higher caliber of colleagues and very few egos to bruise. Have loved it.

Cons

As a startup, it is undergoing constant change. You have to be self-directed and comfortable dealing with uncertainty. The company has tripled in size since I arrived, so change is relentless - but rewarding.

full of treacherous, languishing souls who want to claw as much money as possible

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

the perks are fantastic, like every other tech company in the area. so, with that, they are just average. food, drink, pets, open office are all standard these days.

Cons

top management has no idea where this trainwreck is headed. the only thing on their minds seems to be plumping it fat enough to flip it. don't be on the ship when it goes belly up.

in the meantime, middle managers will look out for their own salaries, throwing everyone underneath them under the bus. it seems the hierarchy has been set, and will be for the future, so any new entrants will likely get the short end of the stick

Advice to Management

there might be a way to turn things around, toward an actual company that is proud to create real value. or maybe you can just stuff another free lunch in our mouths.

Pass on them

Former Employee - Freelance Writer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Freelance Writer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at NerdWallet

Pros

Good at promises. They've been running an ad for hiring "20" writers for over a year now.

Cons

Don't write for them if you like getting paid for your work. Company doesn't seem to know what it is doing.

NerdWallet Response

Mar 10, 2015Director of Content

We value feedback as NerdWallet learns and grows quickly. You're correct that there was an ad for writers. In spring/summer 2014, we posted an ad for 20 freelancers as part of a trial, which we ... More