NerdWallet

Updated October 12, 2014
Updated October 12, 2014
3.6

Tim Chen

Growing company with fantastic culture

Current Employee - Staff Writer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Writer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've been with NerdWallet for several months now, and am more than pleased with my decision to join the company. The pool of employees is vastly talented, and everyone is willing to share knowledge and feedback in a positive and tactful manner. These aren't one-sided exchanges either, as it seems everyone is open to learning as well as teaching. The pay and benefits are great, the overall culture is refreshing and the work itself is rewarding.

Cons

The interview process can be long, but this is understandable and warranted when you only want the right fits for a company. I was frustrated during the interview process with the length of time it was taking, but it was worth hanging on for.

Dishonest reviews from current employees -- here's the truth

Current Employee - Choose Not to Say in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Choose Not to Say in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Let's be honest.

This is a decent place to work. it isn't outstanding It isn't horrible. It's okay. There's a secretive culture behind everything. If you aren't 'in the know", you can expect that there are machinations going on behind the scenes. The pay is reasonable. The digs are very nice and have the kind of amenities most places wish they had.

Cons

Let's be honest.

Have you noticed that as soon as someone posts a negative review, a positive one suddenly appears? You can guess why. I know for a fact that management attempts to cover up bad reviews by posting positive ones under false pretenses. How very odd that a few days after a negative interview gets reported, a review appears that attempts to provide a rebuttal.

This speaks to a streak of dishonesty, secretiveness, and arbitrary behavior I see in management. It's why I do not expect this job to last, even though I'd like it to. Just as a lot of people got fired suddenly last year, I literally expect to walk in one day and be told I'm done for no good reason.

Transparency. Honesty.

High-growth startup with fun, people-focused culture of learning

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is growing quickly, so there's lots of opportunity to shape the direction of new products, teams, etc. Several recent senior hires have brought lots of Valley experience to key leadership positions. The company continues to invest in its values (results, improvement, relationships) with informal coaching and formalized training of new hires, new team leads, etc. Company culture that is friendly, diverse, and unapologetically nerdy (everyone loves learning about new things). Good environment/benefits: central location in downtown SF, new light-filled office space, catered lunches, free drinks/snacks, 401K match, etc.

Cons

There isn't always an established playbook for how to get things done, so sometimes you have to figure things out on the fly. Lots of new teams/faces, so some confusion around who should be doing what, as it's getting harder to keep up with what everyone is doing all the time.

Keep everyone informed as you make key decisions about company direction. Be willing to delegate some key activities to make sure senior employees have time to focus and junior employees have opportunities to stretch and grow.

Great company *and* great place to work

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I started at NerdWallet one week ago today, and I could not be happier. I love this place. The interview process was smooth and very professional, with an actual schedule and interviewers who arrived on time, excited to meet you. Fancy that! The orientation and onboarding was very thoughtful, better than 99% of startups and most large companies. NW values each and every employee. The people who work here are very friendly. *And* smart. At most places it's either or...friendly people aren't very productive, or productive people aren't very friendly. Lastly, the company truly believes in its mission to help get unbiased financial information into the hands of the general public, and puts this ahead of profit every time. As long as Tim is the CEO, this will always be the case. It's in his DNA and it's in the company's DNA.

Cons

This is a fast growing company that is simultaneously working at scale and working to scale the organization.

Keep doing what you're doing. Please.

Happy to be a Nerd

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is doing very well and is headed in the right direction. The compensation is good and so is the ability to provide feedback to all folks. Work life balance is better than previous tech companies that were more established.

Cons

Too much time spent interviewing as the company grows. Instilling the right culture in the growing company. Push for some additional transparency to the rest of the company.

Buyer beware - Trust what long-term employees have to say

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are on the right teams, NerdWallet has many opportunities. Pay attention to people's activities on and off of management and be vigilant about what is going on.

Dog friendly and good perks - food, snacks, new office

Cons

Management is too far distanced from the realities on the ground. If you are not on the management committee, you will bear the brunt of a lot of growing pain.

You will be blamed for team failures, team stagnation (we're facing a separate issue of several unfocused teams). You will be blamed for managers' ineptitude and if you bring this up as an issue, be careful because you may also be described as lacking enough maturity to deal with the normal politics of a growing company. Bad managers are protected from any checks, leaving non-managers at their mercy.

I've worked at other startups before (pre and post-IPO) and shared my experience with many other friends at startups, and nobody can believe what is going on here.

Take a day to read these reviews, and brainstorm why we are turning to Glassdoor. Don't scapegoat the employees. In the CEO's words, identify the drivers of this problem (hint: first acknowledge the problem. 90 employees can't all be describing a problem that doesn't exist).

Disrespectful of freelancers, poor mgmt style. Don't complain or you'll get sacked.

Former Employee - Freelance Content Writer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Freelance Content Writer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at NerdWallet part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work is steady. The people are nice and wear their nerd label proudly. If you tend to your knitting and do your work well, there's little need to revise your work. As a freelancer, you can work at your own pace.

One other thing: if you are interested in a full time position, be certain to be pro-active. Expecatations are NOT discussed ahead of time. You have to guess what they are. It's not the choice I would utilize for a hiring matrix, but everyone has their own way of doing things. I wouldn't call this a "pro" or "con", but merely factual.

Cons

I have serious issues regarding direct management, at the editor and content director levels.

Mistakes can and will happen. However, the method under which issues should be brought to the attention of employees must be handled with care, tact, and clarity. The Editor failed on all counts.

I was twice falsely accused of plagiarism, without my supervisors realizing that I merely repurposed a few sentences of material I had already written for the same website. The material I had asked to write was duplicate in large part to previous material, so repurposing was something the Employer had no objection to.

In the second case, they believed I had copied material from another website…without realizing the other website was the one that had ripped me off! I pointed out this other website, yet never received an apology, an acknowledgment of this other website or even a "thank you!" for finding a website that was infringing their copyright.

On another occasion, I inserted an inaccurate link in the copy. Rather than a friendly reminder to double-check links, I was told that this could not happen again or I'd be sacked. Mind you, this came after delivering over 150 stellar articles with no editorial requests for revision on any of them. It seemed like an overreaction, so I objected in professional correspondence to this language. It was never acknowledged.

The Editor also screwed up on some invoicing issues, although these were eventually sorted out.

In short, you can expect to be treated like a hired hand. Do your work, get paid. If you expect to be treated with respect, however, I suggest you look elsewhere. If you stand up for yourself, particularly in the face of egregious misconduct on the part of the Employer, you can expect to be let go.

That's what happened to me. I realize this may come across as sour grapes, but I have attempted to provide an objective and accurate assessment of management's failings.

The Editor needs to man up. Take responsibility for your mistakes. Treat employees with the respect they deserve when they deliver good work. Otherwise, you'll have a revolving door of employees.

Impressed

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time

Pros

I've worked in some high performance environments including consulting and a high growth Fortune 100 company. NerdWallet has an impressive continuous improvement attitude I've never seen applied with such passion. No one here is satisfied with just being successful or just doing something "good enough". Everyone is constantly searching for new and better ways to do everything from the company's business model to management of employees to how to grow the company.

Cons

Wish I had more hours in the day. As with any start-up environment, there is just so much to do.

Good benefits to make up for bad work environment

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits
    Competitive salary (salary increases/promotions at least every 6 months)
    Catered lunches
    No vacation policy

Cons

Management is the worst part of this company. I've seen management take credit for ideas and delegate projects with no logical backing of how it could even help the company. If these managers were competent it'd be one thing, but unfortunately it seemed that they were hired based on where they went to school or what fancy financial company they worked at previously. This leads to absolutely zero idea of how you can grow and very low morale. Most of these people who helped build the company have left or (very shockingly) fired after the holiday party.

A completely elitist company, where nerdwallet fails is a basic understanding of taking care of your employees outside of shallow things like money and benefts.

Be humble.

Unique, special and rare find in the valley

I have been working at NerdWallet full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-CEO that truly cares about the people - takes feedback and insights he has gathered from employees and does something about it
    -A team that has a huge willingness to learn.. humility is not a value it's a true belief. To see it everyday in people's actions and behaviors is so rare.
    -Bootstrapped & profitable?!!!
    -True business with a ton more growth and opportunity
    -An environment that is all about learning... personally and professionally
    -A company that is aware of it's strengths and areas of further growth
    -healthcare for my family is 100% paid for

Cons

-Young company that is learning a ton and with that comes patience and making the place better for everyone else
    -Growth in areas of experience/been there seen that

let's focus on the long term and build a company to last. You're listening to your employees and you are doing something about feedback. Continue to do that and we're going to really build something incredible!