Nest

Updated January 8, 2015
Updated January 8, 2015
3.3

Tony Fadell

Building a global brand in record time.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Nest full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- you decide what your role & impact is here at Nest
    - it's a start-up with the talent & resources to quickly become a Fortune 100 company
    - the leadership, Tony & Matt specifically, know what they want, provide clarity, and work hard to take us from good to great
    - seeing the other reviews & comments and having been at other companies with diffuse leadership & direction, i'm more than happy to be at Nest

Cons

- to grow at this pace is hard
    - to onboard new people is disorienting, for both the people coming on board & people managing them

- don't compromise what we do and how we get there, but understand that new people can feel disoriented

I was a human resources manager at this company.

I worked at Nest

Pros

It was a great working environment. The team got along fairly well and there were rarely any issues.

Cons

Sometimes, the work environment was almost too relaxed and things were not as productive as they could be.

Used to be fun

Former Employee - Systems Integrator in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Integrator in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Nest full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

After Google bought us the financials improved greatly with Google helping us grow and expand. People you work with are top engineers .

Cons

Too many people. Hard to figure out who is responsible for what. Used to be a small company and now part of Google collective.
    Upper management has no understanding of work life balance.

Don't hire too many people. The rest of Google has work life balance. We should too.

Can it get any worse?

I have been working at Nest full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Selling to Google was the best move the company made. It is very apparent we'd have failed without their help. It is also refreshing to see more and more Googlers coming over that have been at Google 8+ years as they are bringing in fresh ideas and ways of working together. The benefits are great now that we are under their umbrella but there is a culture clash. New office is 1000x better than the old. There is still a ton of potential if we course correct and get some more new senior management.

Cons

Yes, there is a culture problem. People have brought this up in all hands and it gets brushed aside and they are obviously adding reviews here now like the one “Building a global brand in record time.” (total PR damage control)

We have become ultra political with little teamwork and communication happening, despite the fact that everyone is in meetings all day. The result is that nothing is getting down now. It's come to a screeching halt. To add to it, the company is adding 600+ people without thinking about how well function at that size. This has by far been the worst experience in the work place I've ever had so as my title states can it get any worse?

Work with Google, not against as you have been (give up on the two emails already). They were in a position to buy Nest for a reason. Learn from what they do well and start to incorporate it. People from Apple will tell you this has gotten worse than where they left.

Believe these reviews and enact change. Don't brush them under the rug.

Great company

I have been working at Nest

Pros

Startup pace, big company benefits

Cons

Busy, some roles have poor work life balance

Most rewarding job of my career

Current Employee - Marketing in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Nest full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The caliber of people at Nest - and the always-present drive for quality and pushing limits - makes it an incredibly rewarding place to work. Each employee has the opportunity to add value, even outside of his or her direct area of responsibility, and there is heavy emphasis on teamwork versus individual contributions. I can truly say that I love coming to work each day. To top it off, comp and benefits are amazing.

Cons

Working from home is discouraged, which can be tough with the commute.

I was a route sales representative responsible for deliveries, customer service and helping to establish new accounts.

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at Nest

Pros

Large company with opportunities to grow. The national presence is helpful should the decision be made to continue career in another community or state.

Cons

Nice people to work with and for, but the company is extraordinarily rigid where feedback from the field is concerned. Once leadership sets its mind to a course, which rarely involves field input, it is married to that course, regardless of new information with might suggest a course adjustment or correction.

Nest focuses on "emotionally marketable features" instead of delivering products that work as advertised

I have been working at Nest full-time

Pros

The acquisition by Google has given the company every resource to succeed including a beautiful new campus, lots of employee perks and great benefits. The idea of making home products that improve your life without having to worry about them continues to be a powerful one.

Cons

In an rush to become the next silicon valley success story, Nest continues to take excessive risks with product development. These risks ultimately subject loyal customers to software bugs, hardware failures, and design issues that should never be the norm for products that are meant to ensure your comfort and safety.

Don't just change the world. Change the world for the better and start taking an honest look at the fallout of risky decisions and whether prioritizing new marketable features is really more important than keeping the promises of products you've already sold.

An incredible Silicon Valley company

Current Employee - Corporate in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Nest full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company is the real deal. It starts with Tony, who is objectively one of Silicon Valley's all-time greatest product leaders (iPod, iPhone, Nest Learning Thermostat), but also brings business execution, finance discipline, marketing charisma, engineering innovation, and ... above all ... undying devotion to customer experience and delight. He and Matt demand the energy of a start-up combined with the execution of a mature business. The combination is incredible. I've worked at the very top companies in Silicon Valley, and worked with the leadership dozens of other companies, and I can definitely say this company is the real deal. You will be a part of and see what it takes to succeed - not just in easy times, but in all aspects of a hungry, scrappy, growing business. If you want easy, touchy-feely, or comfy job, you might look elsewhere; but if you want to work at one of the few Silicon Valley companies that actually has top talent at all levels who can deliver real results, this is a great place to be. Google's support only makes it better.
    In addition, and really importantly to me, the Nest team is full of really devoted, interesting people. Very little ego and a real desire to ship great products.

Cons

Everyone works hard, so don't come to Nest to relax

Keep it up!

Rare opportunity to do something big

I have been working at Nest full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Other reviewers have noted that Nest is not always the easiest place to work. That's true. But here's what they miss:

A lot of companies claim to be at the forefront of a new industry. Most of the time, they're not. Nest is. The "internet of things" (a term people here hate) and the connected home are going to be big. Sure, they might not really take off for another decade, but it's happening. And after the Google acquisition last year, it's pretty clear Nest is going to be a major player.

Before coming to Nest, I interviewed - and was offered jobs - at other top-flight tech companies. But I couldn't shake the feeling that, in a lot of ways, those other companies had already done their most important work. Nest is just getting started. The product team is led by the people who brought you the first iPods and iPhones. The algorithm team is led by a MacArthur-certified genius. These people didn't leave their cushy jobs and come to Nest for the paycheck. They came because they wanted a chance to do something totally new; something really big. And that chance doesn't come around very often.

Cons

As others have mentioned, Tony is a micromanager, and too many decisions flow through him. Time spent making and perfecting Keynote slides could be put to better use somewhere else. With the company expanding fast after the Google acquisition, there are definitely some growing pains and confusion about who's responsible for what. And there's a bit of an always-on-call mentality - when something needs to be done, it usually needs to be done now.

That said, management seems to be aware of most of these cons - and are actively working to improve on some of them. Bottom line - if you're willing to work hard, you can get get a year's worth of experience in just a few months alongside some of the smartest people in the business.

The next year will be a critical one for Nest. Nurture what matters - the talent, the vision, the innovative mentality that exists in so many corners of the company. Take the cons seriously. If you can do that, Nest is going to be pretty special.

Nest Photos