Nest Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Tony Fadell

Pros
  • Huge opportunity for the company now that we are part of Google (in 4 reviews)

• The connected home and devices are a really awesome cool space to be in, and Nest is the leader in that space (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • You won't get a significant stake in the company, so the expectation to work long hours (which other reviewers clearly mark as a con) is misguided (in 3 reviews)

• Lots of time things don't have justification other than Tony wants it (in 3 reviews)

1. Contracting for Nest

Current Employee - Information in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Information in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Nest (Less than a year)

Pros

Treat me as one of the Nester, really friendly, great culture.

Cons

there is really no down side besides the fact they won't convert me : (

Advice to Management

covert me :)

2. Has a lot of potential

I have been working at Nest

Pros

1. Smart people 2. Exciting products, has potential to create and capture a lot of value in home automation 3. Google resources

Cons

1. Seems slow 2. Hardware driven-company implies lesser problems to work on for software engineers

3. a

I have been working at Nest

Pros

the company culture is really great! it doesn't feel like you go to work at all

Cons

the teams are expanding quickly so it's hard to keep track of new people

Life at Nest

I worked at Nest

Pros

Nest has managed to gather some of the best talent across the board (engineers, marketers, sales, etc) that really help define the products. Most of the executive leadership are great people managers and can be excellent mentors. A lot of the managers are also very passionate about their teams and the work that they're doing. Lunch is also a highlight.

Cons

HR team is really lacking. The atmosphere has been very negative and people are across the teams are unhappy (probably the reason so many people are leaving). There are also people in leadership who probably shouldn't be there. They also write fake glassdoor reviews. A lot of the 5 star ones you see aren't accurate.

Advice to Management

Might want to consider bringing new leadership into the HR team. Someone who cares about the people and the product. Someone who understands Nest and what Nest needs. And also someone who can stop the bleeding.

6. Software Engineer

I worked at Nest full-time

Pros

Great company to lean and grow. I definitely enjoyed the working environment and philosophy. Great HR as it was always easy to get along with coworkers. I loved the fact I was able to bring my dog with me sometimes. We worked hard but we plaid hard as well.

Cons

No really cons for me. Personally I'm not a big fan of big companies with a lot of employees and sometimes I felt overwhelmed. However, this is my personal issue and may not be relevant for many.

Advice to Management

Management has always done a good and respectable job in my opinion. They especially did a great job in creating a fun atmosphere at work. Keep making everyone feel is important as I felt all the time.

great

I worked at Nest

Pros

Loved working there. Everyone was easy to work with

Cons

They just were a perfect company

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging your employees

8. Great people and work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Nest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting project, nice people around, being part of Google getting good perks

Cons

Tight schedule, being part of Google makes process complicated sometimes.

Advice to Management

focus on people, develop employees

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Nest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IoT the hot segment to work now + Google Benefits Used to be a great place to work before acquisition.

Cons

- Poor work life balance - No employee care After Google acquisition Nest grew so fast and it brought lot of people from Apple, it diluted Nest culture and this is more of an Apple now. Problem is most of the management from Apple were not used to make decision they want Jobs to make decisons, the same continues here and they need Tony's approval for everything from deciding HipChat or Hangout for internal communication to how the UI should be. The most impacted team is the "Apps team", this is the front face for Nest so every small thing has to be approved by Tony, so design will be delayed and the engineer team has to cover it up working on weekends and long hours. Similarly the "IE team" is run my first time managers who have no idea to stand up for their team and they are just busy in managing their upstream. So if you are in any one of these teams who will go through some hard time. Because of the recent mess Nest haven't released any major product or App release since Google acquisition (which is more than an year now). Ask around about Nest & TGIF questions you will get more about Nest Culture.

Advice to Management

Care for your employee and treat them with respect.

Nest != Google

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Nest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was excited when we got the acquisition news. I was expecting a big shake up with Google providing guidance on some technical shortcomings, correcting Leadership mistakes, and helping us get back on track as the IoT leader. It just never happened. Nest is fighting so hard to remain independent, that they've practically taken the money and run. All of my 'pros' are just woulda, shoulda, coulda... * was in position to be a regulatory leader in the IoT space * was in position to be innovative and thoughtful * was in position to be a fulfilling career

Cons

Nest is NOT Google! Sure the paycheck reads that way and you even get access to Memegen (only after you've successfully navigated the mess that is internal connectivity), but Leadership has made it very clear: "Nest is *not* Google". The culture is toxic. Moral has dipped so low, you can't even distinguish who was a Nest employee or a Dropcam employee anymore. No one is happy and it's only getting worse. Googlers (MTV ones at least) have absolutely no idea how bad it is, or how badly employees want a change. Glass think they do, but they're still undergoing "Nest cultural training" aka Nest assimilation. I'd pay to see the faces on some MTV team when they present to Glass (of course Leadership will be in the room also) with anything other than Keynote '09.

Advice to Management

Transfer in Googlers (ICs, TLs, D-level+) with at least 5 years *at Google* and put them in critical roles. Bring Brad in to lead up Protect testing, for example. It will suck in the short term, because they'll call you out, but it's the only way Nest will still be a brand in 5 years. Seek disruption from within Google. Advice to Googlers: reach out to Nest employees. There are a lot of bright folks there, but many are just frustrated and looking for a way out. It'd be easy to poach some skill, just realize they have no clue what internal tools Google uses. Question the motive of anyone with over 10 reports.

First wave of exits, next round in July?

I worked at Nest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with a solid management team that writes fake Glassdoor reviews. TF is the next Jobs. Google will continue to dump buckets of money in our lap. People love buying thermostats every 3 years, so that new version with larger screen is sure to fly off the shelf. Take over for all the people leaving after their 1 year Google cliff just hit.

Cons

There isn't a lot I can add that other low reviewers haven't already pointed out. Do your homework before you join this company.

Advice to Management

Take your money and run.

RSS Feed </> Embed