Nest

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
3.4

Tony Fadell

Building a global brand in record time.

I have been working at Nest full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- you decide what your role & impact is here at Nest
    - it's a start-up with the talent & resources to quickly become a Fortune 100 company
    - the leadership, Tony & Matt specifically, know what they want, provide clarity, and work hard to take us from good to great
    - seeing the other reviews & comments and having been at other companies with diffuse leadership & direction, i'm more than happy to be at Nest

Cons

- to grow at this pace is hard
    - to onboard new people is disorienting, for both the people coming on board & people managing them

- don't compromise what we do and how we get there, but understand that new people can feel disoriented

Great company

I have been working at Nest

Pros

Startup pace, big company benefits

Cons

Busy, some roles have poor work life balance

Most rewarding job of my career

Current Employee - Marketing in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Nest full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The caliber of people at Nest - and the always-present drive for quality and pushing limits - makes it an incredibly rewarding place to work. Each employee has the opportunity to add value, even outside of his or her direct area of responsibility, and there is heavy emphasis on teamwork versus individual contributions. I can truly say that I love coming to work each day. To top it off, comp and benefits are amazing.

Cons

Working from home is discouraged, which can be tough with the commute.

I was a route sales representative responsible for deliveries, customer service and helping to establish new accounts.

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at Nest

Pros

Large company with opportunities to grow. The national presence is helpful should the decision be made to continue career in another community or state.

Cons

Nice people to work with and for, but the company is extraordinarily rigid where feedback from the field is concerned. Once leadership sets its mind to a course, which rarely involves field input, it is married to that course, regardless of new information with might suggest a course adjustment or correction.

An incredible Silicon Valley company

Current Employee - Corporate in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Nest full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company is the real deal. It starts with Tony, who is objectively one of Silicon Valley's all-time greatest product leaders (iPod, iPhone, Nest Learning Thermostat), but also brings business execution, finance discipline, marketing charisma, engineering innovation, and ... above all ... undying devotion to customer experience and delight. He and Matt demand the energy of a start-up combined with the execution of a mature business. The combination is incredible. I've worked at the very top companies in Silicon Valley, and worked with the leadership dozens of other companies, and I can definitely say this company is the real deal. You will be a part of and see what it takes to succeed - not just in easy times, but in all aspects of a hungry, scrappy, growing business. If you want easy, touchy-feely, or comfy job, you might look elsewhere; but if you want to work at one of the few Silicon Valley companies that actually has top talent at all levels who can deliver real results, this is a great place to be. Google's support only makes it better.
    In addition, and really importantly to me, the Nest team is full of really devoted, interesting people. Very little ego and a real desire to ship great products.

Cons

Everyone works hard, so don't come to Nest to relax

Keep it up!

Nest focuses on "emotionally marketable features" instead of delivering products that work as advertised

I have been working at Nest full-time

Pros

The acquisition by Google has given the company every resource to succeed including a beautiful new campus, lots of employee perks and great benefits. The idea of making home products that improve your life without having to worry about them continues to be a powerful one.

Cons

In an rush to become the next silicon valley success story, Nest continues to take excessive risks with product development. These risks ultimately subject loyal customers to software bugs, hardware failures, and design issues that should never be the norm for products that are meant to ensure your comfort and safety.

Don't just change the world. Change the world for the better and start taking an honest look at the fallout of risky decisions and whether prioritizing new marketable features is really more important than keeping the promises of products you've already sold.

Rare opportunity to do something big

I have been working at Nest full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Other reviewers have noted that Nest is not always the easiest place to work. That's true. But here's what they miss:

A lot of companies claim to be at the forefront of a new industry. Most of the time, they're not. Nest is. The "internet of things" (a term people here hate) and the connected home are going to be big. Sure, they might not really take off for another decade, but it's happening. And after the Google acquisition last year, it's pretty clear Nest is going to be a major player.

Before coming to Nest, I interviewed - and was offered jobs - at other top-flight tech companies. But I couldn't shake the feeling that, in a lot of ways, those other companies had already done their most important work. Nest is just getting started. The product team is led by the people who brought you the first iPods and iPhones. The algorithm team is led by a MacArthur-certified genius. These people didn't leave their cushy jobs and come to Nest for the paycheck. They came because they wanted a chance to do something totally new; something really big. And that chance doesn't come around very often.

Cons

As others have mentioned, Tony is a micromanager, and too many decisions flow through him. Time spent making and perfecting Keynote slides could be put to better use somewhere else. With the company expanding fast after the Google acquisition, there are definitely some growing pains and confusion about who's responsible for what. And there's a bit of an always-on-call mentality - when something needs to be done, it usually needs to be done now.

That said, management seems to be aware of most of these cons - and are actively working to improve on some of them. Bottom line - if you're willing to work hard, you can get get a year's worth of experience in just a few months alongside some of the smartest people in the business.

The next year will be a critical one for Nest. Nurture what matters - the talent, the vision, the innovative mentality that exists in so many corners of the company. Take the cons seriously. If you can do that, Nest is going to be pretty special.

Good outlook, but only if there's a culture change

Current Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Nest full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- There's a roadmap with great potential in a heating market
    - Great people in general
    - Good culture, even though there's growing pains (see cons)
    - You are a Google employee this means two things: access to an incredible wealth of resources and career development opportunities and... perks!

Cons

- Everything revolves around the CEO. It's a dangerous mix of cult of personality and Stockholm syndrome. Comments like "he's the next Steve Jobs" are not uncommon, while people proudly say things like "I'm used to Tony screaming at me." Everyone dreads meetings with Tony because he *will* flip if he doesn't like what he sees. Somehow that's perceived as good leadership.
    - Everything has to go through Tony. From product development to retail marketing, every decision is ultimately made by him. This leads to two week turnaround times for every decision. Which leads me to the next point:
    - Nest wants to be nimble as a startup, and yet the management/development process is what you'd expect of a 20,000 employee corporation based in Cupertino (wink wink, nudge nudge.) Most people I know coming from startups, and even big companies, are incredibly frustrated by it.
    - Talking about startups: even if the roadmap looks great and the pace is 'set to eleven', this is a big company now. Your contribution won't make you a millionaire. You won't get a significant stake in the company, so the expectation to work long hours (which other reviewers clearly mark as a con) is misguided.
    - Career development is not really a thing. If you are an Engineer, that's what you'll be for the rest of your stay at Nest. Most managers are hired from Apple.

- Start delegating the decision making to the product managers.
    - Stop reinventing wheels. There's so much knowledge you could get from Google if you just asked around.
    - 'Work hard, play hard' works when you offer a significant amount of equity and you are looking into a short term burst of insane work for a big payoff. Snacks and a 401k don't cut it. Just admit you are a big company already and realign your incentives to attract more talent.
    - I can't emphasize this enough: learn from Google.

I hope I can rewrite this review a year from now, telling a story of a company that got over the growing pains and developed a great culture driven by good leadership and positive feedback loops.

Incredible place to work at

I have been working at Nest full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I joined at the beginning of Nest history and can't believe it's only been a few years. I've learned to so much more in these few years than anything I could have learned with my previous employer in a decade. I've grown a team of one into a team of 10+ in the last year alone. I work with amazing people, on superb products.
    The energy is incredible, the pace is insane, but it's a ride that I would not replace with any other. And now with Google's backing, we have the means to achieve our dreams.

Cons

The performance bar is very high, so be ready to work long hours. I see a lot of negative comments about the fact that Tony is in charge of making every single decision. That's not true. But he does love a few key things like the design of the product and will go down to details on such topics. And he will be critical. But I believe it is for the greater good. Attention to details is key to the success of any consumer product.

Manage the growth. Empower the middle management more and respect their opinion and expertise.

"Bad Leadership and Company Culture"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Nest full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Good benefits after the Google Acquisition (free meals, great 401K and health benefits)
    - Excellent space in the "automated home" with a lot of potential

Cons

- No clear vision and bad direction from its leaders. Product launches are never within schedule or products are shipped too quickly without the proper testing.
    - Inexperienced executive management, no real leaders to look up to.
    - Too many egos and wrong individuals appointed to managerial roles.
    - Treats its super star employees as "second class citizens" and those employees are starting to leave the company.
    - Teams are competing against each other instead of working together creating a very hostile environment.
    - Horrible work/life balance. Employes work very long hours and things still don't get done. Management doesn't seem to care about what is happening internally.
    - Bad environment and overall culture.

Nest Photos