Nestlé Purina PetCare

Nestlé Purina PetCare Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Nestlé Purina PetCare President and CEO Pat McGinnis

Pat McGinnis

Pros
  • Everyone is very friendly and a healthy work-life balance is encouraged(in 63 reviews)

• Everyone loves to bring their pets to work, but the company is also focused on its associates(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Projects sometimes demands long hours, so employee needs to be protective of work-life balance during these times(in 13 reviews)

• I work long hours and work every other weekend at least(in 8 reviews)

I love working here!

IT Project Manager (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThis is a company that actually cares about its people. Good work is noticed and applauded by management. The entire culture here is one of positivity, encouragement and team orientation. And I love it that people bring dogs to work. How could that possibly be a negative?

ConsI honestly can't think of any.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep valuing your people and supporting such a wonderful work culture!

Great place to start your career!

Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsI was fresh out of college when I was hired 4 years ago, and my Manager told me, "the sky is the limit" for you - and I could not agree more. I think that Nestlé Purina is an outstanding company to work for, and they truely want you to succeed. Everyone around me has been here for 10, 20, even 30+ years and it feels like a family. I highly recommend applying for a career here if you are considering it.

ConsI don't have any negative feelings about this company. For someone coming in, the only con would be that there are minimal openings since employees spend their entire careers here and the turnover rate is low.

May 5, 2014

We’re thrilled to hear your experience with Purina is such a positive one. We strive to offer every associate the opportunity to advance their career whether that’s within their respective department ... More

I love working for NPPC and I recommend our company to anyone I can as a great place to build a career!

Human Resources Representative (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsEveryone loves to bring their pets to work, but the company is also focused on its associates. We have an on-site gym, Associate Wellness Center, dietician, massage therapist, company store, day care, and free parking to Cardinals games and other events held in the city, among other things. They offer educational reimbursement and on-site and online training opportunities for associates, so improving their associates is top of mind. They also have an extensive performance development program to allow associates to achieve the next step in their careers. And, almost everyone who works here is team-oriented and driven to succeed!

ConsI don't really have many cons. I have had a few team members over the years that were difficult to work with, but my team right now is great!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to plan for the future and invest in our Research and Development. Continue to invest in your associates.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Passion for both Pets and People!

Human Resources (Current Employee)

ProsI've worked in more than one operating company with Nestle, and all of my experiences have been positive (great people, pay, benefits, and interesting work). However, there is something special about the culture at Nestle Purina Pet Care. Their passion for both pets and people is evident, and leadership ensures that it is a workplace filled with strategy, creativity, top-notch talent, professional growth, and a focus on our core consumers.

ConsMany of our locations are in "small town America" (except the headquarters, which is in St. Louis). While the geographics can be a deterrent for some people, I find our locations to be refreshing.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on the awesome culture that is NPPC- it's very noticeable and appreciated- even by those of us that have been with Nestle for years.

Jun 10, 2014

Thanks for sharing your perspective on our culture. It’s truly unique and something special. Our passion for pets and our people starts at the top with our dedicated leadership team … from there ... More

Great company!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe people here are smart, considerate, team-oriented. There is opportunity for movement within the company, and management genuinely cares about your career goals and aspirations.

ConsBeing a big company, it is slow to move. Progress often takes longer because of multiple stakeholders.

Excellent Company!!!!

Anonymous (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsNestle Purina truly cares about its employees! Upper management definitely values each employee's contribution and recognizes that its people are an integral part of the company.

Coming from a company where there was absolutely no work-life balance, Purina has been absolutely wonderful.

ConsNone :) I absolutely love Nestle Purina!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep sharing your years of knowledge and experience, so that the company never loses its foundation (the 5 talks) :)

Great company in theory, but they do not believe in work/life balance at all.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Crete, NE

ProsLarge company with lots of advancement opportunity if you are willing to relocate.
    Benefits are well balanced between cost and quality.
    Everyone genuinely loves pets and wants to do what's best for them.
    The quality cannot be beat. I will never feed my pets anything again.

ConsI work long hours and work every other weekend at least. I am not allotted compensation time.
    Projects that are given to me are unrealistic to complete in the desired timeframe.
    Management is held to a completely different set of rules than anyone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your people a lot more. Promote people that are actually liked and personable instead of the most disliked person in the office.

May 5, 2014

We really appreciate the feedback – thank you for bringing these matters to our attention. In particular, we take your comments regarding the current work/life balance and management concerns very ... More

Fun, secure place to work.

Engineer (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsYou can move up quickly if you are willing to relocate. Pets are allowed at work in most roles, and there is a fair amount of flexibility in your work schedule. Diversity is heavily promoted and used as a factor in selecting candidates to interview. Vacation, health care and other benefits are above average.

ConsIf you are not mobile, advancement can be slow. Since the parent company is Swiss, the company is becoming more process-oriented and bureaucratic, which is making us less competitive in the marketplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementResist the bureaucratic tendencies of Nestle as long as possible. It is making us less competitive versus our competition.

The people are what really makes Purina so special

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsHaving the luxury of enjoying the time you spend at your job isn't a benefit everyone is able to receive. But at Purina, it seems to be a common theme no matter your functional area or location. The work is challenging and exciting and the people make it a fun place to be. Sometimes, the work is even fun. Pet's in the work place helps make the work place more relaxed and enjoyable environment.

ConsSometimes there is a lack of communication between management and associates about upcoming changes in the team's structure. Also, parking is an issues at headquarters. Please build a parking garage!

Jun 10, 2014

We are so glad that you are able to enjoy the time you spend at work, which is definitely a rare benefit. Communication is key to a positive work environment, and we recognize that there is always ... More

Incredible Learning Experience

Intern Engineer (Former Employee) Flagstaff, AZ

ProsYou are given a lot of freedoms to learn and grow as an engineer here. You are given your own projects to manage, so you get excellent experience.

ConsNot true for all internships, but I worked during the school year which I found to be very stressful.

Nestlé Purina PetCare Talent Sourcing responded to this review

Apr 23, 2014

We're so glad to hear you are gaining a lot of great experience from your Internship! We hope you consider us for a full-time role after graduation. You should visit our website at ... More

Worked for Nestlé Purina PetCare? Contribute to the Community!