Nestlé Purina PetCare

Nestlé Purina PetCare Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Nestlé Purina PetCare President and CEO Pat McGinnis

Pat McGinnis

Pros:
  • "Out of all my 20 something friends I probably have the best work life balance"
    in 53 reviews
  • "Being able to bring your pets to work at headquarters is a huge plus"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "Too much talk of work life balance and no action, same with succession planning"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Expected to work long hours/weekends"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Best-kept secret

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros- A market leader (Purina) within a market leader (Nestle). The benefits of a down-home, midwestern culture and a huge, multi-national presence.
- Consistent, solid performing Company, which translates to job security.
- The Executive Leadership Team here is outstanding. They are approachable, sincere, and easy to follow.
- Purina is willing to invest in its employees (compensation, benefits, work-life balance, training, resources, etc.)
- If you love animals, you will feel like you've found the mother-ship. If you are indifferent to animals, you will grow to love them. The benefits of a pet-loving culture are really hard to explain. You really just have to experience it.

ConsI've read some of the other reviews and noticed comments about slow upward mobility. This is primarily due to the fact that many choose to work here for their entire career. The down side of that is that you may not get that next "title" as quickly as you'd like. However, if you peform well, you will be compensated well. To me that's more important than a title. That said, there will be a substantial number of retirements over the next 5 years (barring another US economic melt-down). This will open up many senior level positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. It's working.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat work-life balance for employees, large focus on employee improvement, many opportunities for advancement, amazing culture, bring your pets to work and great management style overall.

ConsI do not have any cons about working here!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing! Purina is a great place to work and a large part of that is due to the great guidance and openness of management.

Great Place to Work!

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPurina has a wonderful, friendly, team-oriented culture. Great benefits -- including the ability to bring pets to work and an allowance toward a pet adoption. Management is very approachable; keeps employees informed.Turnover is low because people truly enjoy working here and are recognized and rewarded for achievements. On-site Company store and fitness center. Nice office space on a park-like campus (and we even have a dog park!) Flexible work hours.

ConsPrograms and projects driven by the parent company (Nestle) often take more time than seems necessary and can bog down the ability to do the work important to Purina.

Great work/life balance and benefits but promotions slow.

Process Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOut of all my 20 something friends I probably have the best work life balance. The culture here is outstanding. Very upbeat and team oriented. Salary is good but not great. The fact that we get a pension is amazing in this day and age. It's comforting to work at a company that has a history of steady profits still with a lot of room to grow.

ConsAs others have said on here. Because of the great work/life balance and culture a lot of directors and VPs have been in their positions for ever and won't leave until they retire. This causes two major problems. #1 promotions are of the kind.....wait for John Smith to retire. There's very little leaving of the company. And #2 Slow to innovate internal policies and procedures. Purina is also behind on technology. Our office phones were manufactured in the 90s. And people that travel internationally on a constant basis aren't able to obtain a company phone. I understand that makes it seem like I'm just complaining about the phones but it's really a bigger problem. I realize this isn't Google, but it's not some mom and pop operation either.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to innovate internal procedures and policies. If I had a dollar for every time the answer to one of my questions was "Because we've always done it that way" I could retire 5 years earlier. You're doing a great job striving for higher profits and business results, keep striving for that as well with employees. The baby boomer's reign is quickly coming to an end. Time to start thinking like a Generation Y, who will day be leading this company.

Engaging, Challenging & Exciting Place To Work

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFantastic team of people. Challening work. Passion for pets.

ConsPart of a larger organization so at time can slow down decision making.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the open communication, strong alignment of company goals and fantastic culture of collaboration!

Great learning experience

Internal Audit (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare as an intern for less than a year

ProsExponential amount of learning, great city with a lot to do, national travel.

ConsTravel in 3 week intervals.

Veterinary Division is Horrible

Veterinary Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTerritory Clients who actually care about nutrition.

ConsManagers play favoritism, lack of support from region managers and Vice President, promote individuals whom lack the necessary training. Salary!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people whom actually know the veterinary business. Stop promoting people who do not deserve it. Nestle corporate really needs to investigate this division.

Flag Review

Nestlé Purina PetCare Talent Sourcing responded to this review

Dec 2, 2013

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions of Purina’s Veterinary Department with us. We are sorry to hear that your experience with Purina has not been up to par with our standards as an industry ... More

Great place to work

Human Resources (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWork life that allows you to meet your on personal needs, good benefit package including a pension, fair compensation and bonus program and focused on employee safety.

ConsNeed to be patient for promotions and open to lateral moves that will help you in the big picture.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to share company information through the top down approach.

Best company I have ever worked for. The work-life balance is exceptional and everyone has a passion for what they do.

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork-life Balance, Opportunity for advancement, Beliefs, Support from Management, Values of the Company, In the business for the right reasons

ConsThere are no cons to the company. I have never been happier in a job. Best company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing!

Nestle Purina has afforded me more opportunities to advance my career than I ever anticipated.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Visiblity with senior leaders
- Work/life balance
- Amazing culture
- Career advancement
- Bring your pets to work
- On-site medical clinic
- Gives back to the communities and pet shelters across the country
- Talented people
- Innovative products

ConsNo negative comments -- I thoroughly enjoy working at Purina.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to lead the company with integrity and conviction.

Worked for Nestlé Purina PetCare? Contribute to the Community!

Nestlé Purina PetCare Videos

Nestlé Purina PetCare – Why Work for Us?

We Believe Pets and People are Better Together Nestlé Purina PetCare Company is a leader in the pet products industry, dedicated to improving the lives of cats and dogs through quality nutrition and care. Innovation… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nestlé Purina PetCare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nestlé Purina PetCare CEO Pat McGinnis. All 188 reviews posted anonymously by Nestlé Purina PetCare employees.